Gammon Joint ideas

Girl27

fattybumbum
Hi peeps i have ordered a gammon joint with my online shopping. I have never cooked one before and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Can you slow cook gammon joints? I was thinking maybe eating it cold in big chunks with a salad?

Yeah you'll need about 5cm water in . I froze mine yesterday after shopping but might just have to get it out now!!

Wash the joint in cold water and then plunge into fresh boiling water in a saucepan for 15 minutes, remove and put in slow cooker for about 5- 6 hours on high. Let it rest for ten minutes before carving. I slice fresh pineapple to have on mine and then serve with sweet potato wedges and deep green veg like broccoli. Colours look amazing . Gammon rissotto is also delish the next day

Last edited:
After soaking in cold water overnight, I change the water and then cook it in a pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots & onions and eat it almost like a stew. You can also put other root veg in at the same time. I find it's really tender done this way.

Denise

I've just sliced my gammon joint on my slicer so that I get nice slices rather than chunks, I cooked mine last night popped it in the slow cooker for 6 hrs, I didnt add liquid I never do.

Any leftover I make a chicken and ham soup (used to make a pie but lets not go there) throw leftover ham & chicken into 1.5 pints water add chicken cube, pinch dried herbs as much veg as you like, simmer for 30-45 mins yummy

instructions are usually on the packet anyway, but I normally just dry roast mine in aluminium foil for about an hour and then take foil off for 15 minutes or so dependent, of course, on the size.

I cooked a duck last night and got to admit it wasn't very tasty and hardly any meat on it -half price in co-op so I paid a fiver which would have meant it would have been nearly 10 quid - woudn't have definitely not been worth 10 quid.

ooopppseee I just read the replies - I have never washed mine or boiled it and threw away the water?

I never put water in the slow cooker with mine. I do exactly what Brighton Roasie said

Back