Gardening.

jane

Opinionated
Decided I can't be the only Gardener on this forum so I've decided to start a thread for anyone who has anything to ask tell or report about all the green stuff that is growing like crazy ouside the windows.

Im crap at gardening but give it a go i went out weekend before last and bought plants to replace the weeds that were in the rockery and pots well dont ask me what i bought coz i aint a clue !!!!think ive only watered twice ! thank god weve had some rain and oh theyve started to grow too

chinese artichokes.

Well I've never grown these before. Had wanted to but couldn't find a supplier.now they're trendy & aailable from several places.

Anyway only about 1/2 have emerged.I'vr dug around & found some of the others trying their best,but i'd planted then a bit too deep. A few more were just a brown shell..ie someone had eaten them.
I thought they were supposed to be fairly trouble free.

If anyone has any experience of growing these little things I'd be ever so grateful for their thoughts.

A few more were just a brown shell..ie someone had eaten them.

It wasnt me........!

Well my ex was supposed to be laying turf in the garden but is now going cheapskate and wants to put grass seed down instead.....any good recommendations ?????????

Im crap at gardening but give it a go i went out weekend before last and bought plants to replace the weeds that were in the rockery and pots well dont ask me what i bought coz i aint a clue !!!!think ive only watered twice ! thank god weve had some rain and oh theyve started to grow too

are they going to flower do you think or are they just for foliage
It wasnt me........!

Hmmm....open wide sonkie I ineed a good look

Well my ex was supposed to be laying turf in the garden but is now going cheapskate and wants to put grass seed down instead.....any good recommendations ?????????

Ah yes..buy the seed that's designed for hard-use.Fine stuff is ok for municipal bowling greens but you've got real children with real bikes etc.

Now woulld be an ideal time to sow as the ground is damp;)

alternatively you could just sit down & leave it be. anyold green stuff works just as well for playing footie on.

Ahh here it is! Well I am new to gardening but have now got the bug having got an allotment late last year! Every free moment is spent digging, weeding or chatting up there & I probably spend more time there than at home now! Definately got the gardening bug & have been surprised by the fact that things actually grow!! (see plot on blog!) Busy trying to get as much as I can this year but as its year one have to be realistic that it wont all get done! Just sent off for some sweet potatoe "slips" & planted my second attempt at siya beans today. Watch this space!! Surely its not just Jane & I that are gardeners?!!

Hello ISOM ,you found it.there was me PMing you the info I'd forgotten & my internet connection went off twice & I lost it.
Just been over to your blog.great pics.
Now this 18" strip of land that caused your neighbour such unhappiness.Well it may only be 18"to you but to him it might mean 2 extra carrot plants, a large lettuce:rolleyes: .

Most impressed with the bed featured.What size is it?
did you make it your self? Presume the timber is treated?
If the soil is as heavy a you say,what access to organic stuff do you have until your own compost comes on line?

I performed some keyhole surgery today on my chinese artichoke bed to try & find out why under 1/2 have so far emerged.Some were planted too deep & were doing their bestbut others had been eaten.Sonkie was too quick in denyint that it was her.
have found that Dobies still ahve some in stock so have ordered some more.Just hope there's still time to get a decent crop off them this year.

Please tell me more about growing soya beans.Didn't knoew they ripened in our climate.
I'm doing drying beans for 1st time this year.Butter,Borlotti & flageolet.Plants germinating outside under plastic.B****y slugs feasting.May have to resow in pots.

are they going to flower do you think or are they just for foliage

there allready flowers

Thanx Jane...Titchmarsh....lol

errr sorry sonya didn't mean to come over all pompous...it seems to be happening more with every year older i become.:sigh:

Most impressed with the bed featured.What size is it?
did you make it your self? Presume the timber is treated?
If the soil is as heavy a you say,what access to organic stuff do you have until your own compost comes on line?

Now I dont want to sound pompous Jane, but, Monty Don said in his column in the Daily Mail mag a couple of weeks ago that if you use wood to make raised beds for veggies etc it should not be treated. For that reason he would not recommend railway sleepers. LOL :confused:

Last edited:
I used to love gardening. My garden was beautiful. Flowers, veg, fruit, compost and water barrels, that mulch that smells of chocolate (had to get food in there somewhere;) mixed with chicken manure. Yummm.

But I only have a 2 year attention span with projects such as this. It's embarrassing now:eek:

Got lots of trees growing in my front garden bedding:eek: Along with masses of chickweed, and a back garden full of bindweed and dead grass because of the tampoline :(

Barely managing to keep the houseplants alive. Keep forgetting to water them, but I do sometimes chuck my used coffee grains on them and they seem to like it :)

errr sorry sonya didn't mean to come over all pompous...it seems to be happening more with every year older i become.:sigh:

No I was trying to be funny....lol. cos you know your stuff, you certainly aint pompous

Now I dont want to sound pompous Jane, but, Monty Don said in his column in the Daily Mail mag a couple of weeks ago that if you use wood to make raised beds for veggies etc it should not be treated. For that reason he would not recommend railway sleepers. LOL :confused:

Ah..well done for paying attention to mr Monty.
this was why i was asking.it looked treated, but as monty pointed out some of the preservatives used can leach into the soil & be toxic to plants.Railway sleepers are a bit complicated as some are fine.other not.Can't remember weather old are good &new bad or the other way around.
As I can't afford them the question has never arisen.
Now with soft wood planks like the ones ISOM has used the problem is to use a trwatment tha teithe won't leach out or won't harm plants , or to use untreated tomber which will rot much more quickly in all the lovely moist rich organic stuff she's filled the bed with.

No I was trying to be funny....lol. cos you know your stuff, you certainly aint pompous

You Sonkie are a thoroughly nice person.
My friends would have written the same sentance without the word ain't in it.

I used to love gardening. My garden was beautiful. Flowers, veg, fruit, compost and water barrels, that mulch that smells of chocolate (had to get food in there somewhere;) mixed with chicken manure. Yummm.

Oh I know thw stuff,reddish brown shells.Never used them but heard they smell best when wet..did they?
What did they taste like?
But I only have a 2 year attention span with projects such as this. It's embarrassing now:eek:
Maybe you'll go back to it.

Got lots of trees growing in my front garden bedding:eek: Along with masses of chickweed, and a back garden full of bindweed and dead grass because of the tampoline :(

we've got a large brown circle too.
Nice trees ??
Barely managing to keep the houseplants alive. Keep forgetting to water them, but I do sometimes chuck my used coffee grains on them and they seem to like it :)

Odd thing to do..haven't you got any dustbins?;)

hello fellow gardeners..

im a bit of a beginner..when it comes to gardening..i trained many years ago as an interior landscape designer...but give me outdoor plants and i don't know one from the other...

can you help?
yesterday my lollo rossos were doing just fine..sitting there in the sun ...today...somethings blooody eaten them right back to soil level !! AND as if that wasnt enough my melons been got at overnight too! ive put slug pellets down..could it be hungry bunnies?

last night i planted nastursuims..(sorry cant spell it) but i call them nasty-ur-shams i wedged them in holes in the front wall.. i did it last year and when they flowered the whole front stone wall was a mass of orange trumpets.

NOW..i have a problem..
i have an old wheel barrow in the front of the drive planted with pansies..but they dont last very long... they seem to do diong ok for a few weeks , and them almost in 2 days the whole lot tends to shrivel up. today my job is to empty the barrrow, line it with plastic and them fill it with new compost and replant it. i was wondering if happenend because the barrow diddnt have plastic as a liner to protect the compost/roots from the metal/old cement on the inside of the barrow...any way if it stops raining today that can be my afternoon job

happy gardening to all

I love gardening. My problem is wasps though so this year OI have started taking Actonite. Im still wary of them but I can control the irational fear that sends me running from the garden. I will come back later and post more about what I have done so far but its good to hear what other people are up to.

Back