Getting Paid

lwtblb

Silver Member
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but did anyone see the programme on TV on Friday about the people who work in the Bingo Hall?

Half were paid to lose weight & the others were doing it for themselves. The group who were being paid did lose more weight for about the six weeks they were filming, but when they revisited a year later it had made no difference, some from each group had stuck to it whilst others gave up shortly after.

They also said that there was a Pilot Scheme in some areas to pay obese people to lose weight...only paid when they reach their target.

I suppose the concern would be that after they'd been paid people would simply lose interest & put it straight back on, plus maybe more.

Personally I don't think a cash incentive would work with me...not that I couldn't do with a bit of extra cash, but I usually find that I need something to happen to trigger me to want to do it, that seems to be the only time I have the motivation to stay the course!!

It would be really interesting to hear the views of similar people who are already on that journey, so that does everyone else think about this?

I saw that - initially I thought yeah I would prob stick to it more if I thought I was getting some cash out of it but then when I thought about it properly, I considred that the amount of money I have spent so far on trying to lose the weight and keeping it off - obv cash is not an incentive for me

I think ultimately that whatever carrot (excuse the healthy pun) is being dangled, nothing will work unless the idividual's mind is in the right frame to do it - does that make sense ?

Oh yes that definately does make sense. Nothing apart from wanting to do it gives me the motivation to stick to a plan over the long term.

I think the only way too loose weight, get to target and keep it off, is if a.) you have addressed the issues you have with food/eating and b.) doing for yourself. Sometime people need a push in the right direction or a bit of insentive, but at the end of the day, if you don't want to do it or aren't in the right frame of mind, no amount of money will make you.

i agree with everyone already, we all could do with a little more cash - well i could anyway but if your not in the frame of mind for doing it then you won't stick to losing weight i know for me i'm in the frame of mind for losing it now like everyone on here and i'm trying to address my issues with food so if anyone wants to pay me i'd like that :)

I sgree with Squiddie. I've started fully tracking all my food/drinks, and I have amjor issue with drinking, I didn't realise how bad it was, until this week really. I'm still losing, but I think if I didn't flexi all those alcoholic drinks (and I must have hade over 100 syns worth on top of my 15 allowance) How much would I have lost this week. I'm a binge drinker, I start and simply cannot stop. So I'm having the weekend off. I'm trying to address it. One week at a time.

There is a cash for pounds project in our area,,, they have just posted a few success stories in the the local rag. Some members have won 250 to 300 for loss over a 12 week period. They have to pay £35 TO JOIN UP. I can't quite understand the concept yet.

Phil x

I had a friend join SW with me though, 6 weeks on she's gained 4lbs, as in she's 4lbs heavier than when she started. Cost her over £40 that, £10 a lb, some people just aren't in the right frame of mind, no matter how much support you give them.

There is a cash for pounds project in our area,,, they have just posted a few success stories in the the local rag. Some members have won 250 to 300 for loss over a 12 week period. They have to pay £35 TO JOIN UP. I can't quite understand the concept yet.

Phil x
On the TV programme they said nothing about support afterwards. I think you have to keep the weight off for 6 months to get the money.

The idea is to save the health service money, which I suppose makes sense, but do you know what support or incentive there is after that? Think this is another area it could fall down...aside from the motivation.

On the TV programme they said nothing about support afterwards. I think you have to keep the weight off for 6 months to get the money.

The idea is to save the health service money, which I suppose makes sense, but do you know what support or incentive there is after that? Think this is another area it could fall down...aside from the motivation.

This is why I think the SW on referral is a good idea, because you can continue to get support after.

I agree with Squidde, you have got to be able to address the issues of why you are overweight in the first place to be able to loose weight and keep it off. If you can do that then yes a cash bonus would be fantastic (enough to pay for the tummy tucks etc). Got me thinking though, what is the difference between a normal weight person and an overweight person in their frame of mind. Do overweight people just comfort eat, compulsive eat (ie just for the sake of it) or has it just become a habit or what? Normal weight people whould have the same life problems as anybody else but how come they can deal with them without turning to the food?

Back