Getting the stitch!

LornaGrace

I got into running at the gym last summer and was quite enjoying it, even though i want very good at it. anyway in the end i gave up because i kept getting the stitch and just couldnt get rid of it.
Iv started bak at the gym as needing to loose some weight and doing the C25K, Iv noticed that iv been getting stitch on the last 2 runs on week 1 and it makes me want to give up again. I dont know what i can do to get rid of it? anyone know what it is caused by and how to relieve it?
Any tips are welcome! Thanks x

I'm not sure about running, but I used to get a stitch doing some other exercises, and read something that did work and did help it go away, so it may be worth trying.

You need to take a deep breath in, but really use your stomach to breathe in-let it inflate as much as you can, and then breathe out. I think it was called something silly like "belly breathing"! lol I hope the way I've described it makes sense, and it really did work for me.

Hope this helps! X

Thanks for replying stacy. :) im going to the gym tonight so ill have a go at the breathing technique. really hope it makes a difference!

this sounds silly but i was thinking about going to the docters about it as i just dont know what else to do. x

Hiya there used to be an ole wive tail, which said run through a stitch, i know some of them are extremely painfull and running through it would be agony. I can see the logic in the belly breathing, wouldnt that expand your lung and muscles before exersice. Are you a high breather, chest breather.

Im normaly a chest breather, rarely a deep intake.
Hospitals cant tell if im breathing its so shallow, they have to touch my chest.

Ive ben told to practise deeper breathing to aid better lung usage, could this be your problem.

Im dreading it now :eek: as im sure i have some sticthes due when i start running.

Thanks for all your replies. :)
I always leave at least an hour between eating and going to the gym - this is what i though the problem was in the 1st place.

I tried concerntrating on my breathing and it helped alot, when i started day dreaming (im in my own world when im running) i could feel the stitch about to come back so i got back onto the breathing and it disapeared! ;)

No idea why i didnt think of this before, it seems obvious to breath properly! :p durr

So thanks everyone, had a great work out and feel loads better about it, hope i can keep it up!

Thanks, i dont think it is the eating, its only a banana. and at least an hour but normally two. sometimes i run first thing when i havnt eaten anything yet and can stil get stitch, ill keep it in mind though. deffo going to stick with the breathing for now!

Thanks People x

Thanks for all your replies. :)
I always leave at least an hour between eating and going to the gym - this is what i though the problem was in the 1st place.

I tried concerntrating on my breathing and it helped alot, when i started day dreaming (im in my own world when im running) i could feel the stitch about to come back so i got back onto the breathing and it disapeared! ;)

No idea why i didnt think of this before, it seems obvious to breath properly! :p durr

So thanks everyone, had a great work out and feel loads better about it, hope i can keep it up!

So glad you managed to control the stitch before it got too bad :) lol I don't know if you're like me, but when you get a full on stitch, it does hurt when you breathe too, so that's why I had never thought about it before! lol But glad it worked for you :)

Back