Getting Xenical from my gp

bluecatlady

Hi all, Just wondering how dificult it is to get this perscribed by my gp?

Is it a gp lottery where some perscribe it striaght off and some don't. Are there rules that you have to lose weight first like some on here have said?

I have already jigged my diet to under 5% fat anyway so I'm not too worried about side effects, I just have so much weight too lose that absorbing a 3/rd less fat would help.

All infro gratefully recieved.

You'ewobviously researching and thinking things through. YOu can go to your GP and explain that you have researched Xenical, and think it would be helpful for you. It's not a miracle pill, but for people like me it helps me make the right food decisions (most of the time!). If you look up the stickies at the top of the page you will get good advice about Xenical. All GP's are different, but if you go along and show that you have tought it through and researched it well, that might help. You have also found a supportive website here, so you can tell your GP that you have access to support from other people on Xenical. Other options are private prescriptions through Boots or Lloyds, but these do come at a cost.

You'll only know what your GP will say by going and seeing them. All the best, and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

thank you

You'll only know what your GP will say by going and seeing them. All the best, and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Thank you so much for the speedy responce PurpleMum. (I hope that puirple is a fav colour and not anger! lol)

I have thought it through and am daunted by nearly 4 years of weight loss, if I could get it down to 2 1/2 I'd be happier. Either way 've got to do it, but evey little getting it off helps.

I have to see my gp to get registarted at my starting weight in case I need any other help or a tt later on, (I actually have to put 3lbs back on before I see him as my BMI dropped under 50 when I lost 7lbs last week and need a BMI of over 50 to be considered for a tt in 5 years time in my PCT.) so I'm going anyway.

I guess just going and admitting I need help will be a good start, a horrible feeling but a start.

I'll be back on for more adivce If I get Xenical, or to grumble about how long I have to wait/how much weight I have to lose first if I don't. lol

Here's to the long haul.

Hope it goes well at docs, mine was great, year before last I'd been on another drug xenical for 5 weeks when it was withdrawn from the market so they offered me xen then but cos a friend had really horrendous side effects (we had just eaten a MaccyDs) it put me off completely so when I went back in October they prescribed straight away (I'd taken a WW card to show I'd been trying). I am pleased to say though that sticking to the 5% rule I've had no side effects. Like Purplemum I use them as a deterrent/willpower to keep me eating sensibly. It's not a miracle drug but I'm thrilled with what a help it's been to me. Another invaluable thing is myfitnesspal. Onwards & downwards xx

I am pleased to say though that sticking to the 5% rule I've had no side effects. Like Purplemum I use them as a deterrent/willpower to keep me eating sensibly. It's not a miracle drug but I'm thrilled with what a help it's been to me. Another invaluable thing is myfitnesspal. Onwards & downwards xx

Thank you so much Lexie2005 (how much do I love this site and it's lovely people!!)

I'm nervous about going but who likes to get weighed and measured and studied? I just hope my gp is on board and I don't have to start the tedious job of gp hopping to get one who will help me. I'm more concerned that I won't be heavy enough and have to go back a week later (for reasons mentioned in my other post) as I just really want to get on with it if you know what I mean and large losses would mean so much to my motivation.

...Going to have to book a double appointment! lol...

I went to my GP about my weight as i have tried everything, seriously, so she went through my options and did mention weight loss surgery but i'd have to be over 50 bmi to be considered, so with all the chat she weighed me and took my height and to her surprise my bmi was 50.4 , apparantly i carry it well, so after telling her that i didnt really want wls, as to me it's rather invasive she suggested orlistat, so this is why i'm on it, and it really does make you think about what you're eating, i only started yesterday but i think it will work for me, what a great incentive.. dont eat too much fat or you'll have runny orange poo... (hmmmm)
Good luck at the docs, and with your BMI i can't see them having a problem prescribing you Orlistat, as end of the day, it's cheaper than WLS for them!!! x

all docs are diffrent. i have had doctors that have just offered me it but the doctor that i am with now wanted to see me lose weight on my own first before prescribing it to me so i did . hope all goes well for you. just take along your weight loss (ww book or sw book) and show him that your commited . hope all goes well, keep us all updated xx

Aw thank you all, I just came back on here after my oh so exciting lunch of WW sausaged 0.5sysn each (and suprisingly nice) and beans (all under 5% fat! lol) to find lots of lovely support. I'm gonna march myself in there and plead for the extra help because if I can't have it for the extra nudge it gives, honestly I'm thinking of looking at lipotrim for a few months followed by slimmers world for the sane eating. I'm so conflicted over what to do!!

I went to my GP about my weight as i have tried everything, seriously, so she went through my options and did mention weight loss surgery but i'd have to be over 50 bmi to be considered, so with all the chat she weighed me and took my height and to her surprise my bmi was 50.4 , apparantly i carry it well, so after telling her that i didnt really want wls, as to me it's rather invasive she suggested orlistat, so this is why i'm on it, and it really does make you think about what you're eating, i only started yesterday but i think it will work for me, what a great incentive.. dont eat too much fat or you'll have runny orange poo... (hmmmm)
Good luck at the docs, and with your BMI i can't see them having a problem prescribing you Orlistat, as end of the day, it's cheaper than WLS for them!!! x

Thank you! I'm not the only one who has turned down WLS!! I'm sure it works for some people but the thought of never being able to eat normally again just does not seem worth it too me. As I said in one of my other posts, can I trade in the surgery and lifetime of aftercare costing tens of thousands for one tt??! Lol, No such luck

Hi there all. Just got back from my gp's who said the NHS was willing to help me in any way it could to loose weight.. aww...he couldn't name any ways but still...lol.
As expected he advise I can have Xenical but not for a month or two until after I have shown I can loose weight the 'normal' way. As we have discussed it's an assistant not a magic pill. So I guess it's on with the weight loss.

Mind you I'm heavely swayed towards Lipotrim atm so I wouldn't need this anyway.

bluecatlady said:
Hi there all. Just got back from my gp's who said the NHS was willing to help me in any way it could to loose weight.. aww...he couldn't name any ways but still...lol.
As expected he advise I can have Xenical but not for a month or two until after I have shown I can loose weight the 'normal' way. As we have discussed it's an assistant not a magic pill. So I guess it's on with the weight loss.

Mind you I'm heavely swayed towards Lipotrim atm so I wouldn't need this anyway.

Great news about Dr being so supportive. As you know xen isn't magic but it's one Hell of a deterrent from eating rubbish. Xx

ah, with shakes instead of food? I like my food too much lol. slimfast nearly killed me... was so hungry. :-D

Lipotrim is a VCLD a very low cal diet, 435cals in fact. Three shakes/bars/soups per day but the diff from slimfast is you go into full keytosis a fat buring state which will supress your hunger, but if you eat anything else, you get VERRYY hungry as you come out of keytosis, It's extreeme and very hard to stick too but the results are amazing, (two stone ave first month, one stone per month after) check out the forum on this site.
It's only supplied by pharmasists, you can only have it if you actually are overweight and you have to be weighed weekley, have your blood pressure taken and they check your wee for ketones to make sure you are not cheating and eating, if you cheat it's a waste of your time and theirs and you can't have more of the meal replacements..

It's more of a stop food so you can revaluate why you overeat, when etc and after you loose all or most of the weight you want you reintroduce food very slowly over weeks or months so you learn to not overeat...or so is the theory....

Hard work,yes, drastic, very, do you clothes fall off you, yup.

My plan is to follow Rosemary Connoly after it because she teaches portion control and calories, SW is just too lax for me.

Sigh, it's so disappointing how little food a person needs, I like food!

Similar to lighter life then, my friend did lighter life 7 years ago, lost about 8 stone. She has gained about 3 of it back & is now using Xenical to lose that. Good Luck which ever you decide but I know vlcd are not for me x

I know people who have done a vlcd and they lost loads... but put it back on pretty much when they came off the shakes... rosemary colony sounds good, but good luck to what ever you decide to do xx

Back