GI on a Budget??

PurpleButterfly

16lb to go!
Hi, I posted this on another section but I need as much input as poss!

I'm a student and LL (with it being expensive, and having to buy a new wardrobe to accompany) has pretty much screwed up my finances. Not on LL any more, but trying to follow a sort of GI-ish diet. When I filled my cart up with fruit and veg (at asda) it came to like £50 and I can eat all that no problem in a week but I cannot afford to spend that much! I don't eat out normally anyway.

Any hints and tips on how to eat healthily but without the expense? At the moment I'm thinking it might have to be wholemeal bread and baked beans?!

Eggs are pretty good as well though, right? And a dozen of those are like £2 = 6 meals.

But fruit and veg??

HAVE YOU TRIED CD.ITS CHEAPER THEN LL HOPE SOMEONE ELSE COMES ALONG WITH SOME ADVISE FOR YOU....GOOD LUCK ON WHICH WAY YOU CHOOSE.
Have you a lidi or aldi near you they are good for fruit and veg.

I know I replied on your other thread about it, but I'm trying again :D

Considering the hype this diet received, you would expect to have a whole load of people on it, but they are few and far between.

My thinking is that it's because it's pretty confusing :confused: For example, some foods are high, unless they are put with other foods, or cooked in a certain way, or even chewed in a certain way. You have to take in the whole balance of the meal to get the GI level. So you could have a moderate GI level dinner, but add some almonds and you'll turn it into a low GI meal.

Then add GL into the mix (which is better anyway), you'll see that a bar or chocolate isn't actually better than that watermelon. Damn :D

Anyway, so I went the healthy eating way, with some GI/GL principles thrown in.

If you really want to do GI/GL correctly, you need a good book. The Rick Gallop one gets good reviews.

It wouldn't hurt to sign up for the Tesco GI diet plan for a while. It's pretty cheap I think, and again, I've heard good reports. At least it would get you on the right track.

Hope someone else comes up with some bright ideas for you :)

Thanks KD! Didn't realise it was that complicated actually. I'm going down the diet chef route for a while actually. It is fairly expensive so has completely screwed up my finances but if it gets my head back on track with portion sizes etc, then it'll be an investment because I won't be pigging out any more! :D

Back