Gillian Riley

Dom1979

Gold Member
Anyone here using her principles? I am, and I feel like I've got control over food for the first time ever!

Would be great to mull stuff over with fellow users!

hi there, i bought the book last month...and have been perusing thru it...hope to do more...

lets discuss...

Bought the book ... found out I actually have to read it before it works!!! So taking it away with me to read on my holiday - and will come back to discuss when I have done so!!

I used her principles (well...sometimes tweaked) to sort my compulsive eating out.

It really helped me go from Binger to ex-binger :cool:

I used a variety of techniques, but reckon her ones were the most useful to me.

Oh cool! Some fellow Rileyers!

So the things I like about the approach so far are

1. It's completely flexible
2. As soon as I think I've come up with a sneaky way to self sabotage, she blimming well comes up with a sentence that means I can't!
3. It's structured - if it's not my Time, I don't eat. That's simple for someone who is not very bright, if it's too hard, I can't understand it!

Things I'm struggling with

1. Plans - at the moment, I just plan to eat everything on my plate, although I've been putting less on it!
2. What to actually eat when it is my plan
3. The big one - letting go of losing weight. I really really really want to weigh myself!

I used her principles (well...sometimes tweaked) to sort my compulsive eating out.

It really helped me go from Binger to ex-binger :cool:

I used a variety of techniques, but reckon her ones were the most useful to me.

KD!!!! yayyyyyy!

The Binger to ex-binger thing is the main goal I've got.

Reading this book scared me a bit, because in certain parts she appears to have been watching me!

How did you get round the 'letting go of losing weight' thing?

Bought the book ... found out I actually have to read it before it works!!! So taking it away with me to read on my holiday - and will come back to discuss when I have done so!!
:8855:

It usually helps to actually read the book silly dilly! Although I did exactly the same thing! Read it! You might want to take a little notebook and pen with you too though.

hi there, i bought the book last month...and have been perusing thru it...hope to do more...

lets discuss...

Cool, welcome! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I did do things a bit of an odd way around...as in...did the techniques, then read the book when I had pretty much sorted out the whole binging thing:D

Had been sharing thoughts with someone who had read the book, and added other things that I had picked up about addictive desire from books/web.

It's been a while since I read it, and by then I was looking at it through different eyes.

So 'letting go of the weight' as in changing focus? Looking for self esteem in a different place rather than dress size??

I did do things a bit of an odd way around...as in...did the techniques, then read the book when I had pretty much sorted out the whole binging thing:D

Had been sharing thoughts with someone who had read the book, and added other things that I had picked up about addictive desire from books/web.

It's been a while since I read it, and by then I was looking at it through different eyes.

So 'letting go of the weight' as in changing focus? Looking for self esteem in a different place rather than dress size??

You? Do things in a novel fashion? Never!

Yeah, that's what I mean. I think that's the most difficult thing to do, but on the occasions that I've got that right, I've noticed that it feels brilliant. I get a real sense of 'I'm actually doing really really well'. It's difficult to see sometimes though, as it's less tangible than a number on the scales, or tape measure.

You? Do things in a novel fashion? Never!

Knew that would shock you :D

Yeah, that's what I mean. I think that's the most difficult thing to do, but on the occasions that I've got that right, I've noticed that it feels brilliant. I get a real sense of 'I'm actually doing really really well'. It's difficult to see sometimes though, as it's less tangible than a number on the scales, or tape measure.
It does feel good doesn't it. To be honest, that part wasn't too difficult for me. Well, the number on the scales were important, but I never wanted to lose weight to look good...which is just as well, cos most people who knew me big, either don't comment, or say I look crap now :D :D

I do still weigh though, but it was getting a balance. I weigh for it's entertainment value ;) What it tells me doesn't make a difference to what I eat that day.

I do think the self esteem thing that she talks about is really important, and would imagine that it would be difficult to get off the yoyo wagon if you can't do that bit.

Edited to add...not can't do that...but don't want to do that

Bought the book ... found out I actually have to read it before it works!!!

yep. It really helps. Another top tip from KD is that you have to apply the principles:eek:

Put a total dampner on the whole thing. So much more fun to just read the book whilst eating crisps. Damn nuisance that you have to do what she suggests :(

Always a catch to these things don't you find:mad: :D

Lurking as I haven't heard of this one so can't contribute but finding the discussion fascinating.

x

Knew that would shock you :D

It does feel good doesn't it. To be honest, that part wasn't too difficult for me. Well, the number on the scales were important, but I never wanted to lose weight to look good...which is just as well, cos most people who knew me big, either don't comment, or say I look crap now :D :D

I do still weigh though, but it was getting a balance. I weigh for it's entertainment value ;) What it tells me doesn't make a difference to what I eat that day.

I do think the self esteem thing that she talks about is really important, and would imagine that it would be difficult to get off the yoyo wagon if you can't do that bit.

Edited to add...not can't do that...but don't want to do that

The other thing I'm not 100% sure of yet, is what should i eat when it's my time?! I think I need to re read the 'what's for dinner' chapter! My poor ickle brain is confused between 'diet mode' and 'beyond chocolate' mode (which has been renamed 'beyond belief' in my mind, beyond chocolate is not a good idea for a food addict!).

tee hee at your ETA - reminding myself I'm 'choosing' all this, is the most important thing so far!

Lurking as I haven't heard of this one so can't contribute but finding the discussion fascinating.

x

I know I sound like an evangelist, but nothing has helped me as much as this book has. It's well worth the Amazon delivery fee (although I always seem to end up topping up the get super saver delivery - I'm a salespersons dream!).

Not managed to finish reading it - she made me feel so damned uncomfortable I put it down!1 :eek:

What do you mean - cos she seemed to have 'got you'? I felt like she'd been stalking me!

I'm great at finding ways 'round' things I'm doing. Which is insane. I rock at self sabotage. But I haven't managed to do that so much with this one. Darn her!

What do you mean - cos she seemed to have 'got you'? I felt like she'd been stalking me!

I'm great at finding ways 'round' things I'm doing. Which is insane. I rock at self sabotage. But I haven't managed to do that so much with this one. Darn her!

Yep. It's currently on my bookcase staring at me accusingly. Tried to lose it in the house move but it survived :mad:

Back