Given up smoking and started slimming world

natasha1974

Silver Member
I gave up smoking just over 3 weeks ago and then joined slimming world 2 weeks ago and am struggling tonight is anyone else in the same situation

Hi Natasha

I quit smoking at the start of the year just a few weeks into first joining SW. The reason I chose such an inconvenient time was because of all the free food that SW offers. Instead of a fag I'd eat fruit, veg, even packets of ham if I was really stressing.

You have done well to come so far so don't give up now! The cravings do eventually pass, and fruit like oranges/strawberries are good to eat for the hand-to-mouth action to replace the habit.

Are you on NRT or going cold turkey?

No I am not in the same situation but what you are doing is amazing and will have brilliant effect on your long term health. Good luck and take it hour by hour xxxx

im going cold turkey my hubby was gonna stop at the same time but he started again the following day but at least hes doing it outside now im munching an apple now lol. Last time i tried to give up i gained loads through snacking so am really trying not to this time

You should go and see a pharmacist about NRT. I tried to quit a few times using patches (too expensive), Allen Carr book (didn't work for me), cold turkey (went insane!) and then eventually I gave up trying to give up! I heard through a friend that chemists can give you discounts on NRT products if you see them once a week for 12 weeks for about 2 mins each time to chat about how it's going, or longer if you need the support, and to pick up your NRT supply. I got the inhalators (cost me £5 for a big pack which lasted me more than a week) and they worked so well for me. I smoked 20 cigs a day for almost 8 years but I only used 2 or 3 cartridges a day to satisy the cravings, pharmacist had recommended I use up to 6 a day. I used the inhalor for about 4 weeks, using it very rarely in the last week or so before eventually quitting NRT and officially becoming a non smoker!

As for the diet.. I kept on it and used free foods etc to take my mind off of not smoking until I eventually didn't get cravings. I came off SW for a few months when I moved house and got sidetracked but I never even thought about starting smoking again :D

Hi natasha

There is a really good article about quitting smoking on the SW website- all in relation to not putting weight on

Thought you might want to check it out. If you don't have access to the internet your consultant will have a leaflet about it

Good luck- how healthy are you gonna feel in a few months??!!

thankyou everyone i got through another night and feeling better this morning will have a look at the slimming world site i will keep the nrt in mind thanks everyone x

I did. It was over 10 years ago though. I did SW and gave up smoking. I must admit I pu on around 7lbs in the first few weeks/3months. I di quickly lose it again though. My 30th birthday was 3 months in, and completed zonked, whilst at my do, I had 3 cigs. But then, I have never smoked since. Nor will I. I do still put on weight really easy though. I thought half a stone was good, I can put that on in a fortnights holiday, no problem, so for giving up smoking it was good, and quickly lost again. Can't believe that was a decade ago. I've out on and lost that many, many times over, and, am much heavier than that now.

Lynda

Good luck! Stick at it and you WILL succeed, and your food will taste better.

Good luck with it, I quit smoking back in January and that is the reason I'm trying to lose weight as it has led me to enjoy my food so much that and I've put on about 2 stone! So quitting while doing sw is a great idea. Have you thought about using patches or any other nicotine replacement, it really helped me?

I gave up a few weeks into starting Slimming World and went cold turkey. 5 months later I dont even think about it. The worst bit for me was the first 3 weeks! Keep loads of free food and water to hand so when you feel like a ciggie have one or both. Good luck, the cravings will pass. xxx

Very well done you, on making a potentially life-saving change! Both ciggies & diet! You can do it, & we are all behind you x

Hi there, I gave up smoking about three years ago by going cold turkey and using some of those plastic cigarettes. I had smoked at least 20/day for 20 odd years but its the best thing I ever did. I totally agree with Gracie Mai that the first three weeks are probably the worst.

You have made the best decision by joining Slimming World at the beginning because my weight crept up by about 3 stone.

I also took up knitting for about four weeks - never actually made anything because I couldn't cast off but it kept my hands busy and so I just knitted and knitted and knitted!!!!!

Good luck to you - its the best decision you could have made and your be quids in!!!
:clap:

Wishing you lots of good luck :) Tackling the smoking and weight loss at the same time is very admirable so well done you :) Hope it starts getting easier for you soon!

:wavey:Hello.
Youve
done the right thing by starting SW so soon after stopping smoking, as you can see from below i didnt! :(
However im losing it again.:rolleyes:
Just thought id warn you, the strong and medium strength patches might give you nightmares, i used them for about 4wks and some of my dreams were horrendous, (once i was getting eaten by killer rabbits!) still remember it 2 yrs later, lol.
Anyway im waffling good luck with 'diet' and not smoking.
I dont miss fags whatsoever now.:D
xx

lol my hubby was having simular dreams when he was on them i find it hardest at the moment if i have a few drinks so avoiding alcohol to lol

Yep alcohol was a struggle for me too, although I've found I dont want to drink as much as I used to which can only be good thing for health and weight loss. I also struggled when your sitting in a bar and all your friends get up and go outside to smoke together and your sat by yourself :( I can now however go and stand with them and not be bothered by the smoke or stay where I am and gloat that I dont have to stand out in the freezing cold :)
xxx

Hi I have stopped smoking 7 weeks into slimming world. Hope if I stay on plan 100% I won't put weight on. Anyone else doing this?

Back