Giving your kids SW food?

Supergirl1980

Silver Member
On the whole I am happy to give my 2 children SW recipes as I know that it is just healthy food. But I am slightly concerned that I'm not giving them all the fats and things they need. I do give them more cheese then a hex portion and I give them full fat dairy. My main worry is using artificial sweetener in their food. I don't know whether it is good for them so I don't give them anything with sweetener in. It does mean that if we make cakes or treats they are full fat butter, proper sugar.

What do you do? Am I right to be avoiding it?

I don't give my kids artificial sweeteners either. Cakes, biscuits etc are always "full sugar", they have full fat yoghurts, but semi-skimmed milk (I have skimmed) I just have separate treats for them and myself, and it works fine. I eat differently for the majority of meals as I work full-time so they have their meals at school or before I'm in from work, but wwhen I do eat with them, and if I did eat with them all the time, I'd have no qualms about feeding them slimming world styley with a few tweaks - being milk, cheese, yoghurts, humous etc, and some nice juicy sausaages once in a while!

My little one loves my sw food (quorn shepherds pie, sw egg chips & beans etc) but i agree i don't give her sweetner (she loves baking so has the full sugar version) but she does like skimmed milk - skimmed milk has more calcium in it than other milks. I don't worry about missing out on the fat in milk & yoghurts because she gets the some fats in her diet from tuna, olive oil, cheese.

Guess its all down to balance eh! What i do hope is that she's learning that no foods are wrong, IF we ear small amounts & in moderation.

So looks like I'm not alone in the 'no sweetener' rule. (syn free cake just for me then!).

Thanks for your replies ladies, and Stripedsocks, I know what you mean about the big juicy sausages. My low fat ones look rubbish in comparison!

Even before i did slimming world my kids have always only had sweetner NO sugar. Its all down to personal choice i think x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

I would say that everyone should limit their exposure to artificial sweetener, kid or not. It's not very good for you! Sometimes good for you & good for weight loss aren't the same thing.

, I have a friends whose two children have suffered with their teeth decaying & the dentist has said its cos they eat too much fruit! I couldn't believe it. She's been told that they can't have grapes, no more than 2 bits of fruit a day, no milk after they brush their teeth at night (it also has sugar in it), and they aren't even supposed to have squash! No added Sugar or normal. Completely mental.

I think kids will do very well being brought up on healthy slimming world type dinners and wholemeal bread for sandwhiches etc. Just for snacks why not have some babybels handy? I use the full fat ones for my hexas sometimes and the bags of 12 are £2 in asda atm.

I stay well clear of giving mine sweetner, its not a very nice thing to be putting into their little bodies imo. Everything in moderation and eating SW meals wont any harm at all :) same as any meal you give them, watch the salt and sugar and give them extra cheese or milk if you feel they need it x

Back