Giving your kids SW food?

Supergirl1980

Silver Member
S: 19st6lb C: 18st13lb BMI: 39.1 Loss: 0st7lb(2.57%)
On the whole I am happy to give my 2 children SW recipes as I know that it is just healthy food. But I am slightly concerned that I'm not giving them all the fats and things they need. I do give them more cheese then a hex portion and I give them full fat dairy. My main worry is using artificial sweetener in their food. I don't know whether it is good for them so I don't give them anything with sweetener in. It does mean that if we make cakes or treats they are full fat butter, proper sugar.

What do you do? Am I right to be avoiding it?

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

stripedsocks

S: 10st7lb C: 9st10.5lb G: 8st12lb BMI: 22.7 Loss: 0st10.5lb(7.14%)
I don't give my kids artificial sweeteners either. Cakes, biscuits etc are always "full sugar", they have full fat yoghurts, but semi-skimmed milk (I have skimmed) I just have separate treats for them and myself, and it works fine. I eat differently for the majority of meals as I work full-time so they have their meals at school or before I'm in from work, but wwhen I do eat with them, and if I did eat with them all the time, I'd have no qualms about feeding them slimming world styley with a few tweaks - being milk, cheese, yoghurts, humous etc, and some nice juicy sausaages once in a while!

Maddysmum

Gold Member
S: 13st10lb C: 12st2.5lb G: 10st1lb BMI: 30.7 Loss: 1st7.5lb(11.2%)
My little one loves my sw food (quorn shepherds pie, sw egg chips & beans etc) but i agree i don't give her sweetner (she loves baking so has the full sugar version) but she does like skimmed milk - skimmed milk has more calcium in it than other milks. I don't worry about missing out on the fat in milk & yoghurts because she gets the some fats in her diet from tuna, olive oil, cheese.

Guess its all down to balance eh! What i do hope is that she's learning that no foods are wrong, IF we ear small amounts & in moderation.

Supergirl1980

Silver Member
S: 19st6lb C: 18st13lb BMI: 39.1 Loss: 0st7lb(2.57%)
So looks like I'm not alone in the 'no sweetener' rule. (syn free cake just for me then!).

Thanks for your replies ladies, and Stripedsocks, I know what you mean about the big juicy sausages. My low fat ones look rubbish in comparison!

yummymummie83

S: 16st0lb G: 10st0lb
Even before i did slimming world my kids have always only had sweetner NO sugar. Its all down to personal choice i think x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

kingleds

Gold Member
I would say that everyone should limit their exposure to artificial sweetener, kid or not. It's not very good for you! Sometimes good for you & good for weight loss aren't the same thing.

, I have a friends whose two children have suffered with their teeth decaying & the dentist has said its cos they eat too much fruit! I couldn't believe it. She's been told that they can't have grapes, no more than 2 bits of fruit a day, no milk after they brush their teeth at night (it also has sugar in it), and they aren't even supposed to have squash! No added Sugar or normal. Completely mental.

Rochelle1

Gold Member
S: 19st10.5lb C: 10st13.5lb G: 11st0lb BMI: 25.5 Loss: 8st11lb(44.48%)
I think kids will do very well being brought up on healthy slimming world type dinners and wholemeal bread for sandwhiches etc. Just for snacks why not have some babybels handy? I use the full fat ones for my hexas sometimes and the bags of 12 are £2 in asda atm.

l0v3child

Silver Member
S: 13st4.0lb C: 12st2lb G: 11st0lb BMI: 27.4 Loss: 1st2lb(8.6%)
I stay well clear of giving mine sweetner, its not a very nice thing to be putting into their little bodies imo. Everything in moderation and eating SW meals wont any harm at all :) same as any meal you give them, watch the salt and sugar and give them extra cheese or milk if you feel they need it x