Gluttonous gourmet turns fit foodie- My Diary

Slow cooker Mexican Pulled Pork

You will need:
I big ass piece of pork- use any cut yu like but remove any large clods of fat and trim it up to be as lean as possible. I used a 2 kilo piece of pork shoulder.

Dry spice rub:
4 Tbsp chilli powder
1 Tbsp salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Scant pinch of ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweetener

Combine the above and coat the pork in the spice rub. Ideally leave to marinate overnight but at least for a couple of hours.

Transfer the pork into a slow cooker, add a cuple of tbsp of water into the bottom- however you dont need any more as the pork will seep lots of lovely meaty spicey juices along the way.

Cook on low for about 8 hours- or overnight (which is what I did- it took all my human might not to tuck into it for breakfast this morning!!).

Once cooked take out the pork (reserving the juices in the pot) and transfer to a chopping board. Use 2 forks to shred the meat. Once shredded transfer back to the pot and toss through the juices.

Serve with the sides I suggest below- or in a wholemeal roll with some chilli sauce and/or yoghurt sauce with spicey wedges, or in a salad with jalapenos and mixed beans Or in lettuce leaf 'wraps'.

Btw: All the ingredients used in the above recipe are FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :happy096:

Pico De Gallo (Tomato, onion & herb salsa)

Ingredients:

4 x Tomatoes (seeds removed) chopped into fine small dice
1 x small red onion chopped into fine dice
1 x Tbsp diced Jalapeno peppers
1 x clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Salt & Pepper

Refried Beans

Ingredients

2 x cans of Mexican beans (I used 1 x can of Kidney beans and 1 x can of mixed mexican beans in water), drained.
1 x large white onion, chopped.
3 x cloves garlic, crushed.
Approx 400ml Chicken stock (or veg stock)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika.

- Sautee the onion & garlic in deep pan/wok until softened and add the drained beans, spices and stock. Season well and simmer for approx 5 mins.

- Blend with a hand blender (or can use a potato masher for a chunkier texture).

You can then serve as it is, or transfer into a baking dish and top with shredded spring onions and low fat grated cheddar/mozarella (HEX A), and bake until cheese has melted.

Tip: Use 2 x slices of wholemeal bread from 400g loaf HEX B)- toast and then cut into triangles to use as 'tortilla chips' to scoop up the beany goodness.

Mexican Green Rice (Arroz Verde):

Please forgive the rough measurements in these recipes- I am not really following a particular recipe so feel free to play around with the quantities to your taste or requirements. All ingredients below are free so go nuts! :D

1 large handful of spinach
1 large handful of fresh coriander (can use half coriander, half parsley if you wish)
1 large green chilli pepper
1 bunch of spring onions- green ends only.
White rice- I prefer basmati (Rinsed)
2 tbsp lime juice

Whizz the spinach, chilli, coriander and spring onion tops together in a food processor or use a hand blender in a jug/bowl. Use a little water to make a green liquid.

Add your rice to a pan, with duble the amount of water and the green herby liquidy goodness. Season with salt. Cook covered on a very low heat until rice is cooked and water has evaporated.

Fluff up with a fork and mix through the lime juice.

Its so fit, you will never want to eat plain ole' boiled rice ever again!!!

I am drooling at all of this! I bet your friends won't even know it's slimming world food - i'm definitely going to try the refried beans and the pork! Could you do it with chicken do you think? could make kind of tacos but with lettuce leaves instead of wraps?

Absolutely

You could do it with turkey, chicken, beef (esp Brisket or sewing beef)- just cook it low & slow and shred after cooking.

I do a similar one with chicken but add tomato puree, honey & chipotle paste...... yuuuuuummmmmy!

Also, I'm sure a weight watchers tortilla wrap wont be many syns- they are only abut 100 cals so perhaps 5 syns each?

Slow cooker Mexican Pulled Pork

You will need:
I big ass piece of pork- use any cut yu like but remove any large clods of fat and trim it up to be as lean as possible. I used a 2 kilo piece of pork shoulder.

Dry spice rub:
4 Tbsp chilli powder
1 Tbsp salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Scant pinch of ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweetener

Combine the above and coat the pork in the spice rub. Ideally leave to marinate overnight but at least for a couple of hours.

Transfer the pork into a slow cooker, add a cuple of tbsp of water into the bottom- however you dont need any more as the pork will seep lots of lovely meaty spicey juices along the way.

Cook on low for about 8 hours- or overnight (which is what I did- it took all my human might not to tuck into it for breakfast this morning!!).

Once cooked take out the pork (reserving the juices in the pot) and transfer to a chopping board. Use 2 forks to shred the meat. Once shredded transfer back to the pot and toss through the juices.

Serve with the sides I suggest below- or in a wholemeal roll with some chilli sauce and/or yoghurt sauce with spicey wedges, or in a salad with jalapenos and mixed beans Or in lettuce leaf 'wraps'.

Btw: All the ingredients used in the above recipe are FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :happy096:

I love piggy

Made the jalfrezi, it was quite nice, but I think even 3 chilli's was a little too much heat for me (I couldn't find the long ones so had to use the finger length ones!) I think in future I'll put less chilli in it but apart from that I enjoyed it and there's plenty left over for other days. I even got compliments that it looked/smelled lovely so take that as a compliment as I'm not that great a cook. I also thought adding the egg at the end was a weird choice but strangely it worked and added to the taste/texture of the sauce. All in all I'm really happy with it so will definitely be making it again! Thanks for the recipe, I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest!

Day 11- Friday 17 January 2014

Breakfast: Melon and grape fruit bowl, 1 Black Coffee.

Lunch: Leftover pulled pork, rice & beans from last nights Mexican feast :)

Dinner: Moroccan Style lamb mince with cous cous (I'm using Ainsley Harriott Moroccan Medley- 1.5 Syns I think).

- 1 pack lean (under 5% Fat) Lamb Mince
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 Aubergine, cut into wedges
- 1 pepper, cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jar of passata
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 x lamb oxo cubes
- pinch of chilli flakes

- Arrange the chopped veg on a tray and spray with Fry-Light and roast in the oven.

- Brown the mince in a pan with crushed garlic, spices, oxo cube. Once browned add the passata and a little water. Season with S&P.

- Add the roasted veggies to the mince. Stir through and reduce until sauce is thick.

I'm also adding some chopped dried apricots (HEX B) and chopped fresh coriander at the end.

Forgive me diary for I have synned!

Week 2= No loss for me :(

I would like to make my excuses- I lost 10lbs last week, the 2nd week is always tough and your body holds onto everything and yada yada yada......

Truth is that the bottle of wine, fish & chips and apple pie & cream maaaaaaaay have had something to do with it!

Anyways, onwards and upwards and all that- Week 3.

Monday 20th January 2014

Breakfast-
2 x satusumas and some black coffee.

Lunch: Sushi lunch box- cold sushi rice, raw salmon slices, cucumber, pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi.

Dinner: Venison Sausages x3 (3 syns), mashed potatoes (done with quark) peas and Gravy (2 syns).

Forgive me diary for I have synned!

Week 2= No loss for me :(

I would like to make my excuses- I lost 10lbs last week, the 2nd week is always tough and your body holds onto everything and yada yada yada......

Truth is that the bottle of wine, fish & chips and apple pie & cream maaaaaaaay have had something to do with it!

Anyways, onwards and upwards and all that- Week 3.

Monday 20th January 2014

Breakfast-
2 x satusumas and some black coffee.

Lunch: Sushi lunch box- cold sushi rice, raw salmon slices, cucumber, pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi.

Dinner: Venison Sausages x3 (3 syns), mashed potatoes (done with quark) peas and Gravy (2 syns).

Hey it could have been so much worse lol. Well done. Good luck with week 3 xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com mobile app

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

I 'pimped' the venison sausages last night and made a delicious smokey BBQ bean style casserole with them to go with my quarky mash. Tasted soooo good so I will share:

1 pack venison sausages (or can use any low syn sossies you want)
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
2 portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 can of mixed beans in water, or you can use baked beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or can use fresh)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper/chilli flakes (optional)
1 x knorr rich beef stock pot, dissolved in a teacup of hot water

- Start the sossies off in a pan with fry light until beginning to brown and add the onion wedges. Soften onion for a few mins.

- Add the beef stock, chopped tomatoes, beans, spices, tomato puree and mushrooms. Simmer for a good 10-15 mins, stirring regularly to ensure the beans don't stick to the bottom of the pan.

- Serve with the mash

Would also work well with Jacket spuds or topped with thinly sliced 'hotpot' style potatoes and baked in the oven.

Tuesday 21 January 2014

Breakfast:
Big bag o' chopped melon & purple grapes, black coffee.

Lunch: Cottage cheese with onion & chive, 2 x Herb Ryvita (4 syns), 1 Ainsley Harriott Chicken & Leek broth cup a soup (3 syns).

Dinner:1 x venison Burger (1 syn) with wholemeal roll (HEX B), topped with 2 x slices cooked beetroot and a grilled portabello mushroom. Served with shredded red cabbage & red onion mixed with FF vinaigrette and syn free chips.

I've decided that I'm going to start going to a SW class. These past 2 weeks I have been doing SW by myself- using books that my Mum had bought me, however if I'm going to do this for the long haul I think a little extra incentive and support is needed to stop me from doing what I do every year- and that is lose 2 stone and fall off the wagon.

So, my first class is tomorrow morning- I am really nervous as I went to this class a few years back when I was a lot lighter and now I'm returning so much heavier :( I feel quite embarrassed, and know I'll probably be one of the heaviest- if not the heaviest person there.

Wednesday 22nd January 2014

Breakfast:
2 x satsumas, grapes, 2 x black coffee (uninspiring as usual, lol!)

Lunch: 1x pack of Bernard Matthews turkey breast chunks (100g- free), with leftover slaw from last night, cucumber, fresh pineapple and mixed leaves.

Dinner: Tandoori Tikka Salmon with Tarka Daal and Cucumber raita salad. (Recipe below is for 2)

Salmon:

1 tbsp of Pataks Tikka Paste (1 syn)- brushed on the salmon fillets. Wrap in foil and oven bake for 12 minutes. Remove and squeeze with lemon/lime juice and sprinkle with fresh chopped coriander.

Tarka Daal:

FYI if you don't know what tarka daal is (or dal/dhal/dahl) it's a lovely indian lentil dish thats great hot or cold. The leftovers can be used like a dip/pate with toasts or crudites.

How runny or thick you have your daal is up to you- My Indian friend told me that some households like it almost as runny as soup, and some as thick as a coarse pate. I prefer somewhere in-between, nice and sloppy so that you can dunk stuff into it :)

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 chillis, sliced thinly (green or red, seeds or no seeds up to you)
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced/crushed.
1.5tsp turmeric
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
Salt (To taste)
Good squeeze of lemon (To taste)
400g red lentils, rinsed in cold water.

1. Cover the lentils with water (about an inch above), a pinch of salt and bring to a simmer. Simmer for approx 20 minutes or until lentils are soft and have started breaking down into a 'porridge' like consistency.

2. In a non stick pan add the chopped garlic, onion & ginger and spray with fry light. Sautee for a minute and add the mustard seeds & cumin seeds. sautee for another few minutes until fragrant. Add the chopped chilli for a few seconds at the end.

3. Stir the 'Tarka' mixture through the cooked lentils- add more water if necessary and check for salt add more if needed.

4. Squeeze in lemon at the end and chopped coriander.

Raita Salad:

Make a raita sauce using fat free natural yoghurt and fresh garlic/ garlic powder, fresh mint/ dried mint and fresh chopped coriander (if you like it).

Add to chopped cucumber, spring onions, diced tomatoes & radishes.

Thursday 23rd January 2014

I did it!!!! I went along to a class and faced the scales :) I was very nervous but the group seems lovely and non-judgemental. I was so worried I'd be the biggest person there.

Downside-the scales are 2lb heavier than the ones I have at home :( Well, I guess it may be the clothing.

Breakfast: 2x small pears and 1 satsuma- black unsweetened coffee.

Lunch: 1 x plain Jacket potato topped with cottage cheese & pineapple (4 syns) with a mixed side salad.

Snack: 1 Kelloggs dark chocolate chewy bar.

Dinner: SW Sweet and sour pork with pineapple & Noodles: (1 syn)

[h=3]ingredients[/h]
  • 500g pork loin steak, all visible fat removed, cut into strips
  • Low calorie cooking spray
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 200g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
  • ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 level tbsp cornflour
  • 4 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 4 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 150ml chicken stock
  • 400g dried egg noodles
  • 400g fresh pineapple flesh, cut into bite-size pieces
[h=3]method[/h]
  • Place a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Spray the pork with low calorie cooking spray and season well. When the pan is hot, add the pork and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
  • Spray the pan with low calorie cooking spray and keep over a high heat. Add the onion,pepper,carrots and sugar snap peas and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until piping hot.
  • Meanehile in a bowl mix 2 tbsp water with the chinese 5 spice, garlic, cornflour, tomato puree, white wine vinegar, soy sauce and stock. Add the mixture to the pan, stir and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
  • Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Remove the wok or frying pan from the heat and stir in the pineapple. Drain the noodles and dived between 4 warmed bowls. Spoon over the pork mixture and serve.

Well done for facing your fear. Proud of you xx

EEEp haven't posted in a few days but rest assured I have been keeping on track!

Weigh in today- lost another 6lbs :)

I am now facing the bittersweet situation of going out for a meal tonight at an awesome pan-asian restaurant where the crispy duck is 'all you can eat'. At least I will have a week to redeem myself afterwards.

Oh and since starting (3 weeks, 3 days ago) that is 16lbs and 2.1 points of my BMI- so its under 40 :)

Back