GMTV's Inch Loss Island

Janey

Intuitive Eater
Would anyone be brave enough to do this? The idea of having experts on hand is brilliant and I am sure the volunteers benefit from this but the island they are using next week looks hard work, tough and a bit cruel. When they showed some of the ladies on GMTV they looked stunned and gobsmacked. No St. Lucia for them this year! Just a cold island off mainland Britain and hardcore tasks. :eek:

i would but i would miss my lads sooooooooooooo much xx

In theory it seems a good idea but when I've watched it in the past, it came across as harsh and humiliating. I'll never forget the bit where they 'made' the people strip off naked in the sea. I would have been utterly traumatised if they'd forced me to do that.
Of course, it makes good TV seeing the overweight being put through their paces, hot sweaty, looking fit to drop, practically begging for mercy ... maybe it appeals to the secret desires of those thin people who think the overweight are just lazy and need to be forced to get off their butts in the most brutal of ways. It's like a boot-camp for the obese - what ever happened to making positive, achievable changes? As a fat person, I certainly wasn't inspired by what I saw.
Going purely by what I saw, I wasn't sure who the programme was actually aimed at.

Russiandoll, that's an interesting observation. :) It's interesting to see how different people perceive something. I've never been obese but I didn't see Inch Loss Island as tv to watch the "fat, lazy obese people" be humiliated. I saw it as a positive experience which hopefully will give them (and the rest of us watching and following it online) life changing ways to change their lives. But I do see what you mean, but personally I never saw it that way.

I've never been obese but I didn't see Inch Loss Island as tv to watch the "fat, lazy obese people" be humiliated.

... but then, you're a nice person :)

Back