Gnocchi

c27858

Is gnocchi free on a green day or is it synned?

Mmm I love em! They are synned though. 2 syns per 100g cooked weight on green days. Totally worth it I think :)

Ahhhhhhh found it........

Basic/Non Branded Foods Gnocchi, potato dumplings 100g cooked

red.gif
Original 8 Syns
green.gif
Green 2 Syns

Thanks......I love them too. They are probably worth 2 syns per 100g every now and then.

Very nice with a plain tomato and garlic sauce. I used to love them tossed in butter with sage and parmesan! *drools*

Very nice with a plain tomato and garlic sauce. I used to love them tossed in butter with sage and parmesan! *drools*

You could always use Flora Extra Light. I think it's a pretty good substitute for the real thing! Not bad on syns either - 1 syn for 10g, which is probably a tbsp!

How much gnocchi would you get for 100g, would you say?

I think a normal packet is around 500g, but that would be raw weight. We'll have to do some cooking and experimenting!

Is Gnocchi those little Italian dumpling things next to the polenta in the supermarket? I've always seen these but thought they were to high in syns to go near, but 2syns for 100g looks good, I just might try some :D

Can definitely recommend Gnocchi...delicious with a tomato and garlic sauce as Hellie said!

Just found this recipe for tomato garlic sauce. Thought it sounded nice. Might try it this week! Would be yummy with a rocket, balsamic & parmesan side salad...

1 Large Onion, finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Glass Dry White Wine
400gm Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree (paste)
1 Tbsp Dried Mixed Herbs
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper

Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute.

Pour in the wine, turn up the heat and reduce the volume by about half. Turn down the heat, add the other ingredients and stir well. Use salt and pepper according to taste.

Turn the heat down to absolute minimum and cook the sauce gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

The tomato garlic sauce should now be the right consistency to serve with pasta. If you want to use it as a ketchup or a dip then cook for a few minutes more to make it slightly thicker.
Serve the garlic tomato sauce warm immediately with pasta, or allow to cool then store in the fridge to use as a ketchup or a garlicky tomato dip.

They're quite a sticky texture Squiddie - takes a bit of getting used to for some people. But me...I heart them big time!

As with most SW stuff, you could probably make your own for less syns, but I imagine it would be quite faffy making mini potato dumplings. But satisfying!

Yes, here we are...

Take 500g of potatoes - they have to be floury types like King Edward or Maris Piper, rather than waxy types - and steam or boil them with their skins on until they are cooked. Allow them to cool a little and then peel them. At this point you should mash them - you can use a potato masher but do make sure you get rid of all lumps, it might be best to use a ricer - and then allow to cool a little. Add a beaten egg, and then slowly add sieved plain flour, a spoon at a time, until a smooth, soft dough is formed. Stop adding the flour at the point at which the dough stops being really sticky.
Take a handful of dough at a time and roll each into a long cylinder, about an inch thick. Cut this into square dumplings and press a fork lightly into the top of each to make three grooves (this holds the sauce you serve them with), place them on a floured surface or baking tray and dust lightly with flour. You can cook them straight away or let them rest for a couple of hours - no longer. To cook them, put them in a large pot filled with boiling water and a couple of good pinches of salt, and wait until they start to rise to the surface. The moment they do, remove them with a slotted spoon. Serve with herb butter, tomato sauce, or anything else that takes your fancy.

So, just weigh out your flour and syn that :D

Thats a good recipe to try some day and on a green day only the syns for the flour! May have to give this a go. Thanks for posting it.

pmsl Squiddie!!! That might not work.....

Back