Going it alone...

Hi all,

Just looking for some tips/advice etc on what people thought about going it alone. I've been doing SW for a couple of months now and have been going to my WI on a Monday evening (never stopping for the class though) but with work committments that i've got coming up in the next few months i'm not going to be able to get to my WI so i'm going to go it alone. Does anyone else do this? Do you find it harder to stay motivated?

I've found already that since i decided (on Friday) I've gone completely off the rails and drank far too much!! With easter weekend here as well I can see me undoing ALL my good work!! :sigh:

Any tips??

Hi cat, I do SW alone and am finding it fine. I have all the books, etc and find SW magazines really helpful too. TBH I don't know if I would find it as easy if I didn't have this forum ~ it's like a lifeline. Some people need the discipline of going to class so it does depend on each individual. I put £5 into a money tin each time I weigh in and I will not be opening it until I reach my target. Good luck in whatever you decide, xx

Hi Mary, thanks for that, putting the money away is a fantastic idea....I think i'll do that. I think its going to be extra difficult because i'm going to be in a hotel for 6 weeks - i'm going to find it hard to eat the right food and obviously i can't cook for myself but i'll see how it goes. There is a gym in the hotel so i'll just have to abuse that I think :)

I ageee with weemo, the classes are more than just the actual WI. Information, social, encouragement, support, news, fun, enteratinment etc. Going it alone can be tough but this forum is excellent for the highs and lows you experience.
If you have decided not to continue with the classes, you may need to take yourself in hand and be more regimental with WI and counting syns.

Hi, I am doing SW on my own, I have the books etc and am doing ok, apart from the occassional weekend eating from hell. You have to be strict with the syns counting as you are only cheating yourself if you don't count them. Once you get yourself into the mindset you will be fine.

xx

There are loads of people here who go it alone and do well. I started off myself but decided I wanted the motivation and fun of a class, plus the social aspect too!

When I was flying solo, this forum was absolutely invaluable. Well, it still is now really!!!

As long as you follow the diet and have buckets of determination, you will succeed, I'm sure of it!!! :)

Thanks for that Hellie, I think i have the determination but its just going to be the staying in a hotel for 6 weeks that is going to ruin it! Hopefully they'll have a nice chef that will make me SW friendly meals!!

I think with willpower, your hotel meals can be SW friendly. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough. Chefs are ok catering for people with special dietary requirements like lactose intolerant, gluten free etc. so I'm sure they will cater for your slimming needs.

Where's the hotel and what is it like?

You could have lots of fresh fruit for breakfasts if it's a buffet style one, with that on offer. Or poached egg on brown toast (for a healthy extra) or even with baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms on a green day, or bacon on red.

Evening meals could be really varied, but grilled meat and vegetables (no butter!) would work. If you do extra easy, you could even have potatoes...

A little planning and you'll be fine. Having that gym is a great bonus too, earn yourself some body magic!

Its up in Newcastle, am going to wait til my boss gives me confirmation on it being the one i think then i'll have a look at the menu and plan ahead - like you say that's the key!! And yeah, the gym will get a hammering!! ;)

And look at you! You're so close to target..well done! Hammering the gym will do you so much good. You'll lose inches and tone up...it will be excellent :)

Aww thanks hun, I've got a 10k run to do in May so going up to Newcastle really wasn't going to help but i'm hoping i've convinced my boss to book me into the hotel with a gym and a pool! :)

Are you doing the Manchester 10k? I'm doing Race for Life in heaton park (I live nearby) and although it's only 5k, I'm still training hard for it!

Yeah the gym and pool will really help you I'm sure - give you something to do of an evening, help stop you staying in your hotel room and watching telly eh?

Yeah thats the one...Started training in February but kind of gone off the boil with it so this should give me no excuses!!! I did it last year but want to better my time so i'll need to get my finger out!

And i'm thinking it will stop me from sitting in the bar drinking wine more than the TV thing :)

Back