Gold membership

JaxieD

Silver Member
Hi, I'm hoping to join a slimming club shortly but am caught between SW and WW but am leaning more towards WW as I like it's structure. Ive experienced both and each has it's advantages. The problem is I believe that in order to be a gold member in WW you have to be within the 'healthy' BMI of 25.....I shall never reach that and don't want to as I would be too slim for me at that weight. I know SW let you choose your weight so I'm in a bit of a quandary??? Not sure if the new Propoints system has changed that criteria??

i am not sure of the bmi . my goal weight is between 10st -10 and 11st1 and im a gold member but over at mo.

Yes thats pretty much it. Gold membership is between 20-24.9 BMI - my leader set mine at the very upper end of this so I got her to bring it down a few lbs as that suited me better. IF 24.9 is still too skinny for you then yip get the letter from your GP with what he/she believes should be your goal weight and give it to your leader and that will then become your goal weight and once you reach it you will be free! Just dont be complacent like me and hit goal then gain 11lbs once I got my gold card hehehe!!! Talking those 11 off by myself before I go back!!!

Thanks guys!! Mmmmh!! Don't know if I could be bothered with the doctor thingy......I hate going to the docs and am sure she's got enough to do without that. I'll just have to consider my options. I just think it should be my choice what weight I wanna be....BMI is not considered by all to be an accurate reflection of what a person's perfect weight should be. Oh what a pain!!

Once again, thanks

Personally I would give it a go.... wait til you get nearer your weight before you decide on it.

The only thing is I don't think any doc would sign you off a letter like that immediately. They sorta have a responsibility when they sign their name, I imagine they'd want you to actually lose the weight first, before signing.

But it is their job, so don't be feared to go... they get more time wasting than that, and its a good thing, someone wanting to manage their weight x

Just dont be complacent like me and hit goal then gain 11lbs once I got my gold card hehehe!!! Talking those 11 off by myself before I go back!!!

I did exactly the same and stopped going just after I hit my goal... and gained almost a stone in just over a year! Oooops.

Agreed, play it by ear - I thought when I got to gold (Top end BMI) that I'd be happy with my shape etc. I'm still, in my eyes, much too heavy and totally not happy, but I'm gold so I can carry on attending for free. But that's just in my case, obviously doesn't apply to everyone.

However get yourself to your doctors now, whilst your weight loss is in it's infancy - that's exactly what GPs are there for and you're paying for their service :) Tell them your plans and such and obviously that you believe at BMI 25 you'll be too thin. Get advice from them. I'm seeing my GP for other problems at the minute and I asked about GP referral for exercise and he's happy to offer that to me when I'm better - so this may also be another benefit of seeing them!

When you get close to your goal weight, they'll probably want to check your general health and whatnot before signing a letter - so having been to see them before this stage will work in your favour.

Good luck with it!!

Because i'm very short to be within the healthy BMI i would have to be very small i think top end BMI is 8stone something for someone my height and that felt far too small. When we were setting my gold weight my leader asked what i wanted as my goal so i set it as 10stone. I got down to 9 stone 8lb and my friends and family actually started to worry i was getting to thin. When i reached 10stone i became a gold member no questions asked. I think it probably depends on leaders but i've used weight watchers twice now in two different places and both times reached a weight i was happy with but not within the healthy BMI range.

On another note its nice to know im not alone with reaching goal and then slowly putting on weight. I was wondering was there anyone else out there who was having problems keeping the weight off because i've put on about 10lb since January and need a kick up the backside to sort it out. Maybe we should have a struggling maintainers thread to urge each other on?

mimsickle said:
Because i'm very short to be within the healthy BMI i would have to be very small i think top end BMI is 8stone something for someone my height and that felt far too small. When we were setting my gold weight my leader asked what i wanted as my goal so i set it as 10stone. I got down to 9 stone 8lb and my friends and family actually started to worry i was getting to thin. When i reached 10stone i became a gold member no questions asked. I think it probably depends on leaders but i've used weight watchers twice now in two different places and both times reached a weight i was happy with but not within the healthy BMI range.

On another note its nice to know im not alone with reaching goal and then slowly putting on weight. I was wondering was there anyone else out there who was having problems keeping the weight off because i've put on about 10lb since January and need a kick up the backside to sort it out. Maybe we should have a struggling maintainers thread to urge each other on?

Now that's interesting!! I'll maybe pop along to my local WW meeting and ask the leader what her view is......thanks!

I was about 7lbs from the 'healthy' BMI 3 years ago and everyone was commenting how I'd gone too far :-( I know I look better that wee bit heavier

There's a maintenance sub forum you might be able to find lots of people there x

There's a maintenance sub forum you might be able to find lots of people there x
is there,,man how come i've never spotted that:eek:

is there,,man how come i've never spotted that:eek:

Its near the top of the boards under diaries i think. I've had a look on there before some interesting stuff but its not as active as other parts of the forum.

Back