Good for SS+?

GTPeach

The Nerdy Singer
So I recently made the mistake of eating whole wheat bread with my SS+ 200 calorie meal. I now know better than thank GOD I figured it out before getting knocked out of ketosis. (Thanks to all you wonderful people!)

My question is, what foods are good? i know I can have a lean (white) protein (like fish, chicken, turkey). And green veggies (though apparently baby spinach is not included in approved leafy green vegetables????????)

So, to add some variety and/or flavor... what CAN I have that won't knock me out of ketosis?

So I recently made the mistake of eating whole wheat bread with my SS+ 200 calorie meal. I now know better than thank GOD I figured it out before getting knocked out of ketosis. (Thanks to all you wonderful people!)

My question is, what foods are good? i know I can have a lean (white) protein (like fish, chicken, turkey). And green veggies (though apparently baby spinach is not included in approved leafy green vegetables????????)

Baby spinach is fine. So is grownup spinach. Dead, alive, cut, torn, raw, boiled, microwaved, trodden on (depending on what is on the bottom of your shoe;)).

So, to add some variety and/or flavor... what CAN I have that won't knock me out of ketosis?

Fat free salad dressings usually. Also fresh herbs, a little chilli or curry powder.

No ginger, garlic or onions (check ingredients on any packets). Oh and mushrooms are allowed, though not on the list...but definitely 'legal' ;)

I take it you don't have a Cambridge savoury drink out there (apart from soups)?

Nope. :( We have very little.

I found some great dressings - calorie, carb, fat, and acid free - that are so tasty! And ti also come sin BBQ sauce. Too bad the chocolate syrup version adds lactic acid. :(

Yay for baby spinach being fine!! I LOVE the stuff!!!!

Turkey is okay, right? I'm allergic to fish. :( Low fat cottage cheese was okay right?

Are there any fruits at all on the approval list? I miss them more thna I miss my sweets and breads, oddly enough.

Also, how about onion and/or garlic powder? ANd is lemon extract okay? Not the juice- the extract.

Carrots a no no?

hiya ,
i have had garlic.....i wouldnt survive without it!!!!
i also have prawns i know officially they are food of the devil but im still loosing.....i had a stir fry thing tonight, runner beans, mange tout,celery, green pepper , asparagus , courgette , just a little of each stir fried with garlic, soy sauce and a tiny bit of olive oil.....ive had it b4 and its not made diff to my weight loss.....to be fair ive been finding it rally hard to go to the loo , so i think the green will hopefully help....and lets face it olive oil is wonderful stuff!!!!

Thanks shell! :D I think I'll be okay without the olive oil, but there's a teeny bit of dried onion and garlic in this dressing. It's at the very bottom of the ingredient list, though, so I don't think much at all.

What I miss are my tomatoes. And fruit.

at the moment im missing everyting!!!!!!probably coz im tired i could just eat a huge bar of cadbury dairy milk!!!! wholenut would be preferable!!!

Ooooh - don't do it!! You don't need it at all!!!

I don't knowif they ship to the UK, but check out walden farms. (Walden Farms Online Store offers, no carb, low carb, fat free, calorie free, sugar free, gluten free, gluten, Gluten, gluten free, carb free, dips, salad dressing, dressings, syrups, syrup, sauce.) They're excellent. No carbs, no fat, no calories, no sugar - whole range of salad dressings, syrups, fruit speads, dips (like marshmellow and chocolate), barbeque sauces....
Ecellent stuff and it actually does have taste!

I've just emailed them - maybe we can do a group order? Also they do sell on ebay through a virtual grocery, may be worth looking at.
I wonder if the jam will go on the porridge?!

I've just emailed them - maybe we can do a group order? Also they do sell on ebay through a virtual grocery, may be worth looking at.
I wonder if the jam will go on the porridge?!

ack. I know I'm a party pooper, but this sounds a really bad idea to me :(

Please try to stick to the plan. There has been so much research and it's so easy to fall off the wagon by adding what might be considered perfectly innocent additions.

But surely if they are EVERYTHING free?

But surely if they are EVERYTHING free?

If they are everything free...there is nothing there ;)

Nothing is everything free, there would be at least some flavourings, and flavourings can cause a problem.

These products have been mentioned a couple of times before, and nobody said anything! What changed? I'm not here to stir - just was trying to do everyone a good turn... Also they can't be worse than the full fat helmans sitting in the fridge, if you are going to ensure against disaster they may be handy - and I thought that fat free dressings were allowed?

These products have been mentioned a couple of times before, and nobody said anything! What changed?

Must admit I haven't seen messages about jam, syrups etc on here, otherwise I would have replied.

Fat free dressings are allowed and mentioned in the book, so they are okay.

Also they can't be worse than the full fat helmans sitting in the fridge,

No. That's why they are allowed and listed in the book. As long as you are just talking fat free dressings, then no problem with that. Jam on porridge and many of the other things they have on the page aren't listed in the book, so it's probably better to avoid.

These products have been mentioned a couple of times before, and nobody said anything! What changed? I'm not here to stir - just was trying to do everyone a good turn... Also they can't be worse than the full fat helmans sitting in the fridge, if you are going to ensure against disaster they may be handy - and I thought that fat free dressings were allowed?

Of course you're not stirring, it's a difficult diet to follow with limited choice, I certainly don't blame you for looking around for something to make it more interesting.

Just be careful. Even if a product says it is free of fats carbs etc. it could contain citric acid which could effect ketosis. If this happens you will still lose weight, but if you get knocked out of ketosis then the diet is sooooo much harder to stick to as you'll feel hungry and resisting that hellmans mayo will be a nightmare;):)

Tracey
x

Well of course...

Which is why we would all read the ingredients.

Well of course...

Which is why we would all read the ingredients.

Yep. And as long as all the ingredients were allowed, and you can work out the portion sizes, there shouldn't be a problem.

Trouble is, many people feel that no carbs, no calories etc, mean that it is truly 'free'...it wont cause a problem.

I can see people ordering it and looking forward to having it on there porridge or whatever and wondering why on earth they aren't losing weight.

After all, it must have something in it. It can't be empty. I'm pretty clued up on what is allowed and what is not, but I think I'd struggle to know what E numbers or different types of acids etc are okay and which ones aren't.

My point is that if you really feel you need these additions, then obviously it's totally up to you, but just want any lurkers to understand that they could cause problems and it's best to avoid if possible. Not getting at you or anything. I know you are just trying to help, but if others don't point out the potential problems, it could be assumed that it was risk free.

I've checked these for acids - the chocolate stuff and white dressings have acids. The rest don't seem to - they don't sell the fruit stuff in stores here, so I'm not sure if there are acids in those.

I think if you are SS, definitely don't do it! I'm doing the 200 calorie meal, so this to me looked healthier than the fat free dressings, and I've checked them for the carbs and acids and stuff. None. The things used to flavor the foods are herbs and seeds. Some dried onion and garlic powders, but some dressings don't even have those.

KD - I don't have CDCs here and the CD USA has little to no guidance. If I post the ingredients here, will you check them for me against the 200 calorie meal?

Isnt there citric acid in the cd bars Im sure I saw it on an ingredient list???

Back