Goodness me - cross trainertastic!

Barb

Gold Member
Okay, full of enthusiasm Barb climbed aboard the magic cross trainer.:D:D
Starting sensibly she set off on a 5 minute session. 3 minutes in she realised she was close to death and crawled off it, limbs shaking, chest wheezing and a general feeling of 'last legs syndrome' ruling the day!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Lesson learnt, start on 2minutes and build up slowly. Very slowly.;)

Anyone else got a York X730? Anyone else had a similar experience. Tell me it's not just me and I'm pathetic!:eek:

Barb what you on about - I've got one of those and the first time I got on I did 20 minutes straight and have constantly upped it since then!

Actually I lie, I don't have one and if I did have one I'd use it once for cross training, almost die and then use it constantly as a clothes horse!

See now I bet you're glad you're you and not me LOL - well done for giving it a go, keep doing it and you'll soon see a big difference in what you can do.

You minx! You really had me going then! I will take it steady and build it up slowly, although, you're right. It would make a cracking clothes horse!

:rotflmao: sorry just had to do it - I know what it's like when you think 'is it just me?'

Keep us posted as to how you're doing on it :)

This morning my thighs HURT! The rest if me is ok, still a little wheezy but not too bad.

Going to try 2 minutes in a little while, I think 3.5 was too much to start with. Cripes, that sounds pathetic!

This morning my thighs HURT! The rest if me is ok, still a little wheezy but not too bad.

Going to try 2 minutes in a little while, I think 3.5 was too much to start with. Cripes, that sounds pathetic!

:D I have the Roger Black cross trainer, i started at 10mins, and slowly built up, their are lots of different settings on mine, fat burn, hill running etc.., i now put a CD on and try for 30mins evry other day, if your legs hurt then you are doing it properly :D but give them time to rest, also do a couple of stretching excersises before you start your session :p

Thanks Allan, I wish i'd asked you about it first! I guess when all I am used to doing is walking the dog, (fairly slowly as he like to sniff EVERY blade of grass) then this cross trainer is going to be a bit more challenging. Just was surprised HOW challlenging!

How long did it take you to build up and how fit were you when you started?

Last edited:
Thanks Allan, I wish i'd asked you about it first! I guess when all I am used to doing is walking the dog, (fairly slowly as he like to sniff EVERY blade of grass) then this cross trainer is going to be a bit more challenging. Just was surprised HOW challlenging!

How long did it take you to build up and how fit were you when you started?

:D I have been fairly active all my life, first in the Army and now in the Police force, trouble is i stopped going to the gym and any sort of training, at 42 i think my body has slowed down too much, i was still knackered after my first go on it, but now it just keeps me in shape, warm up when you go on it and have a quick stretch afterwards, your legs wont feel like jelly then :p

The elliptical cross trainer at the gym I used to go to was may fave bit of kit. It was the closest thing I could get to 'running' without the jolting that goes with running itself (so no need for Tena Lady on a cross trainer!! ;))

I started with 3 mins on a low resistance but 'jelly-legs' was common at first. Almost makes me want to go back to the gym ....

... almost.

Good idea RD - do it!!

Ok, had a good look at my xtrainer again as really couldn't belive how hard I was finding it. Realised that I had not read the manual properly and had actually started on level 6 not level 1! Phew - so yesterday did 2 mins on that level and coped very mcuh better. So will build up through the levels and increase the time in an organised manner.

Oh Barb!!! LOL

You're just like me ... leap in without reading any instructions! That's why I stressed '3 mins on LOW RESISTANCE' on my post ... you were doing the equivelent of running up the slopes of Everest!

You should find it much easier now. Also, the gym instructor said if you do a minute BACKWARDS it tones up your butt. Don't know if you can do that on yours.

:rotflmao: Sorry Barb but your post really did make me laugh - least you know first hand what it is that your going to work up to. You should be proud that you lasted the 3 minutes that you did!

I'm surprised I was here to tell the tale! Anyway, glad I gave you two a laugh!

Yes RD, I can go backwards - in fact sometimes I do it automatically!!! Are you sure I'm cut out for this?

Going backwards seems to be my speciality :rolleyes: (and I'm not talking X trainers here)

At least that is ONE kind of 'backwards' that is actually good for you!

I really love the X-trainer, it's usually all I use at the gym, at the moment I'm not going crazy on the excercise as I'm trying to SS on CD.
I went through a stage of using it for up to 3 hours at a time, and ended up hurting my hips :(
(I can be a little obsessive....and it was the summer hols.....)

LOL Barb :D :D Sort of thing I would do :D

I disliked the Xtrainer at my gym. Though I did the recommended 30 minutes (well...2 sets of 15 minutes as I valued my life), it was a trial for me.

I just found it so hard, even though I'm quite fit:confused: I'd be fine for a couple of minutes, then I'd want to get off.

Just couldn't understand it as I seemed to do better on other equipment compared to ladies my age, but definitely last on the xtrainer.

My trainer said that was a good sign. Showed that the muscles it used obviously needed working on. I said it showed that my body did not like the xtrainer and was intuitively telling me to get off the blooming thing :D

I persevered though, and got a bit better :D

There is hope then KD! I am finding it tough but as DH has cleared garage (!) to make room for machine of torture, sorry I mean xtrainer, I feel I must get good at it!

Just did 2minutes on it and then took Oz for a 15min walk staright after. Then it began raining. Still it's all progress (the exercise not the rain)!

I went through a stage of using it for up to 3 hours at a time, and ended up hurting my hips :(

Blimey, I'm so impressed I need a lie down. 3 Hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I think if you do it lots you probably just build up X-trainer muscles!! I still can't run to save my life!!

Wow don't think I could do 3 hours if my legs were strapped to it and I was doing it in my sleep!

Got to admit that I do put using the cross trainer up there with spinning classes - torture best left to others and not me :D

Back