Goodness me - cross trainertastic!

I did have to re-fill my water bottle and nip to the loo every hour or so......If I had the time i think I'd probably start doing it again actually. I used to burn off 1500+ cals a session so I could eat whatever I wanted. I was following the Paul McKenna 'eat when you're hungry' plan - happiest I've ever been now I think about it..... Never lost much weight but very toned!

I started using the Cross-Trainer about 6 months ago, when I joined my local gym. Like any new form of exercise u do need to start slowly and build up your stamina and strength. I used to be knackered after 5 minutes when i first started, but now can do 45 mins (if i really push myself!) I normally do it 3 or 4 times a week.

It can sometimes be a bit-boring but at the gym there are tv's suspended from the ceiling in front of the machines, so I often try to get down the gym in time to watch Eastenders or Corrie!! Sad, I know, but it makes the time go quicker while ur on there and watching ur fave soap at the same time!! Either that or i will watch a music channel and bop along to songs as i sweat my big ol' butt off!!

It's a great calorie burner though and in 45 mins on resistance number 6 I can burn about 450-500 calories. Keep going with it and you'll definitely start to see a change in shape within 2 months - but you do have to be consistent. Good Luck!! Laura, xx:)

Thanks for that - I have already built up to an impressive 2.5minutes at a time! Am I fit yet?

Fit - you're super fit now! You might have to stop due to putting others to shame ...... ahh stuff em, you go for 3 minutes and show em what a champ you are ;)

I've built up to doing 35(!!!) sit ups and actually sitting up for them all ..... can't go to the gym and do em though as I don't wanna make the people there feel bad :D

After talking about using the cross-trainer I thought I'd better get back on it!
...I did an hour on Monday and another hour again today, hopefully that might counteract a poor loss this week due to totm :)

Wow you guys could show me a thing or two. I am going to build it up, honest, I just am being sensible and doing it slowly.
I am amazed at how hard I find it but I guess that just shows how unfit I am and how good for me it is!
It's a huge comfort to know that I am now super fit really though!

Still going well with the xtrainer. Having to build it up very slowly though or I get very wheezy. Yesterday I did 5mins and it was too much. I'd gone from 3.5 mins to 5 in one go and that was too much so did 4 today and will do 4.5 tomorrow and then 5 the next day.

Quite pleased though as only able to do a minute or two to start with and the one day I did 3.5 mins I nearly died! So i'm getting there. Just very, very slowly!

You are getting there, that's a big improvement --- you're doing it the right way Barb, stick with it :)

barb I'm with you!! I got myself a cross trainer yesterday, I was knackered just getting it in from the car!! it's so heavy!! I had to park literally right outside the front door, and dragged it out of the back seat and straight through the door and plonked it in the hall.. mistake number 1... would have been much easier dragging the box into the living room than the cross trainer bits!!
then I decided it had to be assembled there and then (no point delaying, I can easily sit and look at a box that's completely in the way for at leasst 3 weeks. I'd probably have used it as a bench or something.)
and then after all that I was exhausted!! I managed 10 mins of doing 1 min-1.5 mins at a time and then stopping for a 30 second rest!!
I promise it does get easier though, when I used to go to the gym I did a random hilly program, and I built up from 4 minutes to 12 minutes in about a month. can't say I ever found it easy though!!
I've plonked mine in front of the telly and am going to use it while watching the simpsons to take my mind off the time!!

Hey Liz thats great! Good to have someone else knackering themselves. I've had a nasty bug the last couple of days so haven't been on it but hope to be back on it tomorrow!

Love

Good to have someone else knackering themselves.

hehe, you think the way I do!!

I managed 5 mins today although it seems to have given me the best smokers cough in the world. a mighty achievement for a non smoker.

hope you feel better tomorrow, take it easy! :hug99:

Thanks Liz, still feeling rubbish actually. Mega headache/neckache and still got a temp.

The first time I overdid it on the xtrainer I had an actual asthma attack! Soon learnt my lesson! Wanted to go on it today but don't think I should while I'm poorly. Hope I don't go backwards and have to start again, that would be realy annoying.

Love

Feeling much better, got a bit of a sore back from hanging onto car door in strong wind! However I have just done 7 mins on my xtrainer so feeling quite chuffed.

Actually feeling fascinated by the fact that 3 weeks ago I could only do 1-2 minutes and it felt like a near death experience and now i can do 7 and could have gone on a bit longer i think. Isn't the bod an amazing thing!

aww well done! glad you're feeling better now! the wind is horrendous, am so pleased now that I spent money and took up half the space in my living room with this cross trainer rather than renewing my gym subs and having to walk there in this weather (I refuse to drive, it's too close!!)

I've been doing 10 mins a day on mine, since friday (thursday was when I put it together and managed about a few 1-1.5mins with breaks in between!!), and then today I stuck it out for 15 mins! woo :)

I want to get up to about 30 mins, but am not sure whether to stick with 5 for a while and try and increase resistance a little (still on level 1), or work up to 30 mins then start on the resistance..

any ideas?

I reckon building up the time works well, then gradually increasing the levels. I don;t know about rthe 'science' of that but I do know that I feel more encouraged about spending more time on it reather than what level I am on. It's a personal thing I guess. I like seeing the distance i've 'walked' too. That makes it seem more real.

You sound like you are doing really well. I think it's good to have goals. I would like to do 20-30 mins every day, building up by a level every 1-2 weeks. I think I will be able to do 20 mins toward the end of next week, so thats good. You sound considerably fitter than me so I reckon you will be moving up the levels quickly anyway.

Great to have you to comapre notes with. Well done us - we're doing great!

Love

well I switched up from level 1 to level 2 on thursday night... nearly killed me!!! haha. so I took the time back down to 10, then friday held out for 15 and did 15 again this morning.. didn't seem that hard again, so I think I'm going to try for 18 tomorrow, possibly even 20 but that's pushing it!! then when I get up to 20 I'll go up to level 3, might have to cut the time again and work up but we'll see..

weird how quick you get used to it!! I mean, it was hard work, but I managed to keep going easy enough. it's just fortunate there's no one else to see me looking so rough!!!

I'm by no means ultra fit!!! I did go to the gym last summer and built up a small level of fitness there, did a lot of running on the treadmills but cross trainer was always the hardest thing. only went about 4 times between august and december though!!! really wanted to buy a treadmill but I've not got the room (the cross trainer is in the middle of my living room!!), trying to convince dad he wants to buy treadmill instead so I can go use it!!! plus you'd want a decent treadmill, the cheapo ones look a bit flimsy for me!!

hope you have a nice weekend :)

Try this cold I've got - that REALLY takes you to near death! Exercise? You are having a laugh, I can barely stand!

:( Sounds awful Barb, get yourself tucked up --- hope you're soon feeling better ((hugs))

Back