Goose - don't bother

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
Just wanted to say that we had goose for Christmas lunch and it was the most horrid thing I have ever eaten, no wonder turkey became so popular. The goose was so bad we chucked it in the bin and just had turkey and pork. I was disappointed not have it but I saved myself 4 syns as its 2 syns per 1oz. Does anyone know of any other meat that is syned, even duck is free.

We've thought of trying goose once or twice,tho the price put us off-thanks we wont bother now !!

It was so tough you could have made shoes out of it and we couldn't believe how dry the meat was. We were led to believe goose was really fatty and greasy, but honestly there was very little fat come out of it, I've had more out of a chicken. Didn't taste of much either. Definitely save your money. Gordon Ramsey did say last week in one of his programs that farmed goose was rubbish, unfortunately I'd already bought the darn thing.

CG, my DD cooked a goose this Christmas for the first time, and she said just the same as you, very tough and very fatty too, she was really disappointed and will be sticking to Turkey in future.

Sorry you had a bad experience with Goose CG - I cooked one 2 years ago for Xmas and it was lovely.

I followed a Jamie Oliver method by stuffing it with whole clemantines and rubbing it with chinese 5 spice and it was delicious. There wasn't hardly any fat on it either. I bought a grass fed goose as my butcher recommend it and i cant fault it.

I didnt know goose was synned though? I wasn't doing SW at the time anyway but that has shocked me as i find goose meat to be very lean?

we have goose every year, this year included, and love it! and the fat makes the most incredible roasties. if it was tough and dry sounds overcooked?
u can get cheaper ones from lidl or aldi (cant remember which) for anyone who wants one a bit cheaper :D

We have goose every year and love it! So tasty! I'd never buy a farmed one though. I get mine from a friend who has a small holding and they are corn fed and free range and taste amazing. It's very easy to overcook them so if yours was dry and leathery I think thats probably what happened. As for the roasties made with the fat...OMG they are to die for!!!!! Absolutely divine!!!!!

we have goose every year, this year included, and love it! and the fat makes the most incredible roasties. if it was tough and dry sounds overcooked?
u can get cheaper ones from lidl or aldi (cant remember which) for anyone who wants one a bit cheaper :D

This was a Lidl one and what fat? there wasn't any. I was expecting such a lot to come out, more than a duck but there was nothing at all honest. I cooked it for the time it said on the wrapping 50 - 60 mins and then let it rest for about 20 - 30 mins before carving (or trying too) there was hardly any skin on the goose either so don't know if it had been messed with before packing. I have heard that free range ones are much much better.

How big was this goose? I just checked the Waitrose recipe website and most of its recipes for roast goose allow 30 minutes per kilo, plus another 30 minutes, plus resting time.

50-60 minutes wouldn't be nearly enough time unless it was very small indeed.

How big was this goose? I just checked the Waitrose recipe website and most of its recipes for roast goose allow 30 minutes per kilo, plus another 30 minutes, plus resting time.

50-60 minutes wouldn't be nearly enough time unless it was very small indeed.

Yep that sounds about right, it was only a crown from Lidl and about 2kg in weight. Sorry, we just aren't finding the reason for this bird being tuff and 'orrid are we lol. Maybe it was just an old bird to start with, like me.

my sis did goose this year and i got to eat the scraps the day after boxing day and it was still delish! very moist and tasty and we are going to do one this xmas with a trial run at some point during the year. She did order hers from the butcher, so prob some sort of free range, organic thing ( and she is a bit posh lol)... so not sure f this would have made a difference maybe?

It probably would have made a big difference, mine was obviously not free range, I think the stress of its rearing may have made it a bit uptight and tough lol.

Back