Got to original 'Target' but now confused!

cocktailprincess

Still rockin' it
Hi Guys

When I first signed up for SW on-line I set my Target as 13 stone as this was what I was when I got married, and the lowest I had ever weighed in my adult life.

Not long after starting SW I decided I would push it further and picked a loss of 8 stone, because it was a nice round figure and would mean I weighed 10stone 13

Today I weiged-in and lost 2lb which means I have actually achieved my original target of 13 stone

I know I should be happy but I feel confused now. I feel incredibly happy with the way I look at the moment, but know I could keep going.

So what should my target be now? My main fears are:

Stopping too soon, before I achieve even better results that will make me even happier with how I look/feel

Keeping going too long so that even if I get to a really low target, I will never be able to realisticaly maintain it long term

Help?

Honey firstly, well done! You're doing so well and have achieved a lot!

Now then, I believe a T should be a weight you're happy with and that you can maintain. If this is the weight for you, stay there. S*d hitting a nice round number...stop when you want to and feel happy.

You can always carry on later if you decide to...

Well done and let us know what you decide xxx

First off... big congrats on the weight loss.

My opinion would be to take each day at a time. You have acheived your first main goal and you should be so proud of doing so. Personally I would like to think if I got that far why not just take it a little further? But to stop getting fed up why not slow down the weight loss and just be a little more liberal with the diet. Concentrate on not putting any weight back on and if you loose in the meantime - BONUS!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Huge congrats for losing that amount of weight CP!

The question to ask yourself is this - would you be happy to stay at the weight you are now? If you are then stay there but if you are not then keep on going, dropping it half a stone at a time until you are happy. Like Sticky said, s*d round numbers, see how you feel.

I took the highest weight for a healthy bmi so 10 stone gave me a bmi of 24.8. Once I got there I was happy with both my weight and how I looked. I'd still love another half stone but it's not going to happen and I've accepted that I'll never achieve my vision of "perfection" even with another half stone.

It takes time to adjust how you see yourself hun. xxx

Thanks Stick, MissCG and jaylou- really good advice there. I may just take it a bit at a time- I guess it just feel wierd not having a definite goal to aim for (and I hope I wouldn't be tempted on a low motivation moment to convince myself I looked 'fine' and use it as an excuse to overeat!)

I know 13 stone to most people probably sounds huge- i know of many people who have joined SW weighing less than this and disgusted at themselves, but to me (who has been morbidly obese for the majority of their adult life) it was a real battle to get to - well worth it though

I may try the 'half a stone at a time' route, and see how that goes- it takes me so long to get a half stone, it is practically maintaining anyway!

Firstly well done on reaching your target Hun!!!

Secondly, 13 stone isnt huge and as long as you are happy with being that weight who cares what people think?? You have lost soo much weight already.
As Sticky said, you could always decide to loose more in the future, but for now stay as you are.

Well done Hun.
xxxx

well done on your fantastic weight loss so far:) We are similar height and weight so i kind of know how you are feeling. I think the idea of losing a little more and see how you are feeling could be good. I think i'm heading in the direction of Jaylou; getting a healthy BMI of 25 ( not sure what that weight is yet!!)

Good luck with whatever you decide; you've done so well and must be feeling great.

First of all, well done on your loss so far!

If I were you, I'd try and maintain at that weight for a few months. Everyone gets a bit fed up of sticking to the plan rigidly for a long time, and you could probably do with a break! I've seen loads of people get to target, and then slowly and surely put nearly all the weight back on again - I think it's good to try and start concentrating on maintaining (I've been at target for 4-5 months now, and it's still a challenge sometimes)!

I also noticed that although I wasn't losing any weight, my body shape was still changing a bit and in general, everything was just settling down - worth a wait and some time for you to get used to everything before you keep going. And if you do decide to lose some more, like others have said, you only have to reduce your target by 7lbs.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hi CP, huge congratulations on your weight loss, a massive achievement.

I totally agree with what paperclip suggests - give yourself a bit of a break, maybe just for a couple of months to get over Christmas and New Year, and reassess then.

As many of us have said on here, maintaining is far harder than we expected, so why not aim to STS for a bit?

Once again, many, many congratulations on what you have already achieved, and Good Luck for whatever you decide.

I had the exact same problem. When i started my target was 5stone. when i hit 4 and half, i knew i was happy..and that i could keep going if i wanted to, but i was worried id lose the last of my curves or that maybe i wouldnt keep off that last ahlf stone if i pushed for it long term.

in the end i stuck to T at 4 and a half stone.. and i couldnt be happier. hoenstly.

i think maybe sitting down and assessing how you feel atm is the first step, because if your still unhappy, and you feel you can lose abit more than aslong as your still healthy then go for it. and as long as you can feel that you can healthily maintain it without real struggle?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi cocktailprincess ~ Well done to you!

I do know exactly where you're coming from ............ when I started out I really NEVER thought I'd manage to lose as much weight as I have!

When I got myself to a "healthy BMI" I was over the moon, and people would ask me why I still wanted to lose more! I wasn't all that sure, at the time ......... I was just happy at how far I'd come! I decided to keep going though, and I'm determined now to get to the "magical" target I've settled on ........... but it's a real struggle! I sometimes think, I'm just not meant to get there! lol Especially this last stone ........... just a few pounds to go now ........... so I've made up my mind to reach it ............ and I'll struggle on! Some weeks, I feel that so long as I'm "maintaing" and not really putting much weight on, as it's been for a while, I will get there ............. gradually!!!!! lol .......... I feel great overall, but I reckon I'll feel so much better hitting that magical target! I've got into loads of new size 10 clothes now and I've got a holiday coming up to celebrate for Christmas! I'm not going to stress myself out too much about it though, if I don't quite hit the target by Christmas, I'll do it ...... eventually!! ........ lol

Best o'luck'n'stuff with whatever you decide!

Thank you so much to everyone who replied- you really helped me gain some perpective

I think it is exactly what Jackie said- I never actually thought I would get here when I started, so find it hard to deal with. 13 stone to many people would be huge- but to me it is like being a brand new person

Going to take it half a stone at a time, until I feel 100% happy

I REALLY appreciate all of your help and guidance, guys. xxxxxxxxxx

I'm a bit late replying but I think you've been given some really sound replies.

You have achieved so much with your weight loss. I think it's sensible to pause here, round your original target and just adjust. It might take a while, or it might happen really quickly.

How do you feel? Do you still feel 'overweight', or do you think you need to lose more? Are you happy? No harm in taking some time to adjust to your feelings about your body and then decide.

I'd say keep doing SW, obviously! You don't want to start gaining! Have all your syns, all your HEs. Perhaps increase your HEs and see what happens. You might maintain and find that you are happy with the results, or keep losing at a slower rate.

Whatever you decide there's no denying what you've done so far is superb and I hope you're proud of yourself! :D

Well done on your incredible weight loss. You have done so well!
As others have said you must feel happy at whatever weight you chose.
I do think that the half stone goals are a brilliant idea.
My initial target was 9 stone, but then I thought that was too low so I changed it to 9.5 stone. I have 7.5 pounds to get there.
Maybe I will target at that but more than likely I will go back to my original goal.
I still don't feel anywhere nearly slim enough yet but I checked my BMI and now I am within the healthy range, at last!
The first time I did SW I targeted at just 3 pounds less than I am now. That was after coming to a stand still for ages and getting fed up.
I will play it by ear, pound by pound and see what happens.
I suggest you do the same, and when you are truly happy with your weight and body, that is the time to target... don't worry about numbers. It's about you...
Hugs and congrats and Good luck!

Cant really add anything to the good advice that's already been given, except for a huge congratulations on your weight loss, what a great achievement. :clap::talk017:

First of all, a belated but heart-felt huge well done on getting to your target. You should be so proud of yourself.

I was like you - set a target and then thought: "hmmmm". Now I'm hovering just a few pounds (give or take) below my original target and you know what? My original target now seems big to me. Now whether or not that's my f*****-up thinking about weight after decades of dieting or not I don't know, but I do think it's a safer attitude for me to take. If I ever get to 9 stone again (and yikes, I can feel it happening, little half-pound by half-pound) then I know to get back on to SW and lose it. I'll still be in a healthy BMI but it's a signpost for me that to continue the way I am will lead to it all starting all over again.

Why not try just a couple of pounds under your target and see how you maintain? Then your target will be a signpost too.

But regardless of your decision, another huge WELL DONE!!!!!

Back