GP being difficult - any tips?

TheRealMe

Hi all. I'm desperate to have a chance at LL but my GP surgery has been dead set against it. The last time I asked I was on medication for a depressive illness, but I'm no longer on that and am giving it another go tomorrow! I found that the CBT I had was instrumental in my recovery and really hope that the CBT offered with LL will have the same effect on my weight issues. Any advice as to what to say to convince the practice nurse tomorrow would be great. Thanks in advance, Jules

I find it bizarre that GPs etc can be against LL. My own suggestion would be to point out all the health problems that can arise from being overweight, how unhappy it makes you and how determined you are to lose the weight.
If you don't have any luck then your LLC should be able to recommend a private doctor or if you go to Superdrug they will do the form for you (for a fee). It's worth bearing in mind that Asda pharmacy will do your monthly BP check for free. Good luck with your practice nurse today x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Exactly Umm
When I first asked at my GP Surgery the practice nurse said she was "anti" VLCd's.
Now she thinks she invented them!
It's much cheaper for the GPs than offering people bariatric surgery
and the psychology seems to be better and can continue indefinitely in maintenance if you want it to.
I still go to the Maintainer's group over 2 and a half yeas since I got to goal, and it's free - bargain.
Now my surgery recommends it.:confused:
Good luck. I think most Superdrug Pharmacists will do the forms.

Thanks all. Practice Nurse was lovely - just need to do a note to the doctor and drop it in with the form. Good to know about Superdrug if he refuses. Thanks again and you look amazing Slendablenda! Inspiring and giving me even more determination to give this a go!!!

My doctor has been nothing but supportive with me doing LL in fact at my last monthly check up he asked me about my excess skin as I have started getting alot under my arms and legs. He also said when I get down to 15 stone he would refer me to have the operations through the nhs

Hello Julz - I wrote him quite a good letter (if I do say so myself!) and finally got the go ahead. Did the joining thing last night and today was my first day. Not overly keen on the food packs so far which is worrying, but I'm hoping I'll find a few that will get me through. Shepherds Pie is definitely not one of them!

Hey good to hear you have started I live on bars and shakes lol it gets easier xxx

Hi Lady T. Start of third day today. First group on Tuesday night and I'm nervous for a whole lot of reasons. I'm guessing that will be my first weigh in which will be 5 days into the programme rather than 7. Also, what if they don't like me? The locum who did my joining said they were a lovely group so I'm holding onto that. But I'm on the road to finding me again and to be honest, I will do whatever it takes. The last year, being fat, in my fifties and unfit has been a total nightmare and I deserve better than that. I cannot begin to tell you how important it has been to have this forum - without it I would have been completely isolated over the last couple of days and I am so very grateful to everyone for being there. Big hugs and thanks to all xx

Aww, don't be nervous about the group, I'm sure they will be very nice. Don't forget they are there for the same reason as you and they have faced their own struggles with weight.

Hi Lady T. Start of third day today. First group on Tuesday night and I'm nervous for a whole lot of reasons. I'm guessing that will be my first weigh in which will be 5 days into the programme rather than 7. Also, what if they don't like me? The locum who did my joining said they were a lovely group so I'm holding onto that. But I'm on the road to finding me again and to be honest, I will do whatever it takes. The last year, being fat, in my fifties and unfit has been a total nightmare and I deserve better than that. I cannot begin to tell you how important it has been to have this forum - without it I would have been completely isolated over the last couple of days and I am so very grateful to everyone for being there. Big hugs and thanks to all xx

I felt the same 3 weeks ago, I was embarrassed at sitting in the room waiting to be weighed and did not know anyone, but what you need to remember is everyone there is there for the same reason as you, and you will receive support from them.

Once you have done it once you will be fine

Thanks again all. Today has been a bit difficult, there have been times when I've felt so hungry I was struggling not to eat a tomato from the garden. But not done it. Any suggestions for hot drinks other than flavours and coffee? I've tried mint tea and am not keen. I'm finding the hot drinks keep the hunger more under control than the cold ones.

You could try the hot broth drinks which you can get from your LLC. You can have up to 2 a day. I find they are great if you are feeling hungry as they have a savory taste and I can convince myself that I've just had a soup...

How are you getting on today, RealMe?

Hi Spanglymum - yesterday wasn't too bad. I had a day off work and was really busy. It was my first weigh in last night. After 5 quite tough days the result was...................... 2lbs! Two pounds. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I knew it wasn't going to be the spectacular result I might have had if I hadn't done Dukan for the 10 days before I started, but 2lbs!! Anyway, today I've felt better about it because I KNOW that it's not anything I've eaten! On other diets, I would be feeling terrific guilt and hopelessness, wondering what I'd done wrong, what it was about me that couldn't achieve what others did. But with this I know I've not lapsed, apart from a piece of sugar free gum on Monday afternoon. Apparently I am in ketosis (I should hope so given this bad taste and breath) and it looks like the fat and I are in for a battle. I'm going to win, of course. lol

Hi TheRealMe,
Don't be disappointed. I'm sure the Dukan will have helped your initial loss before you started LL. How much did you lose?
Also according to your info you have "only" 3 stone to lose so are just within the amount to do LLT.
Generally people with more to lose have more dramatic losses.
You are right though, no lapsing and drinking the fluid - you are bound to lose the weight.
Stick with it - Good Luck. :)

Thanks again all. Today has been a bit difficult, there have been times when I've felt so hungry I was struggling not to eat a tomato from the garden. But not done it. Any suggestions for hot drinks other than flavours and coffee? I've tried mint tea and am not keen. I'm finding the hot drinks keep the hunger more under control than the cold ones.

Hiya
I use the broth drinks as my hot drink, don't like tea with no milk, mint tea ok, but not favourite. I bought my first broth mix from LLC, then bought a pot from Holland and Barrett for 1/4 of the price, so try it, if you like it to to H&B, its a green tub of bouillon, orange lid, vegetable flavour by marigold.
Glad ketosis fairy has kicked in for you, that will help the hunger, spacing your packs out etc. I make my shakes in my smoothie maker with ice and top up with extra water this makes it longer as a drink and I don't feel hungry. Distraction also helps, warm baths, early bed.
Stick with it, the losses will come on a regular basis, when you can see the differences it will all become easier.
Jx

Well done for getting started - sorry you have had a tough day or two but it does get easier. It will become routine and you will not know how you manged without it. I rarely lose more than about 3lb in a week, but 2 or 3 lb off is better than 2 or 3 lb on - so I keep on going! (Actually I stopped and put on weight so am back here to do it properly this time!)

Wow! Thanks everyone. Again. Honestly, I really think it's you that are keeping me going. Your words and your results are truly inspirational and I've now got Minimins on my iPhone so that I'm never without you! As Stephen Covey says, success is about being strong in the hard moments. Really, anyone can be strong when things are easy, it's getting through the difficult times that takes courage. When I hit those really hard moments, I come here and, with your support, keep going. I have to say that this is one of the situations where I feel really lucky to live alone - I have been able to empty the fridge. Whereas for mums, wives, partners, etc. ...... I have the deepest most sincere admiration for you. Having to shop, cook and share mealtimes with others would probably send me insane or off the diet!

Thanks again everyone - you are all fabulous xxx

Back