GP tickets for SW

Metermaid

I've just finished 12weeks on SW courtesy of my GP and the obesity programme (jeez I hate that word!!). Anyhow, I've lost a stone and a half and only ever stayed to the first meeting. So I feel I can carry on alone.

But, I've been told it's possible to get another 12weeks free. I feel a skinflint really but I don't feel I want to pay £4.50 just to be weighed, but I would carry on if I had the tickets. What do others think. Should I go it alone now and not drain the NHS anymore!!?

I lost three and a half stone in six months (ealrier last year) and I was just a weigh and goer and thought i could go it alone.... I put a stone and a half back on, quite clearly i couldnt go it alone! dont think of it as draining the NHS though, think of it as a preventative treatment cos we all know the risks of being over weight, personally id try and get twelve weeks more and then re assess. how much more do you want to lose? x

if you can get the help for the classes from the GP then go for it honey, despite bein on bp pills and being a larger lady not once was i offered hlep and i did go to hosp nutritionist who was not helpful. i would have loved help paying for my first 12

Thanks girls, I would like to lose another 2 stone at least, so I'm nowhere near my goal yet! I feel better about asking for more tickets now, will ring the GP tomorrow :)

Im going against the tide, I dont agree. If you cant afford to pay it thats fair enough but not wanting to is something different. Im sure most of us can think of better routes for the money we spend on classes etc but they are providing a service which is helping change our lives. Isnt that worth putting your hand in your pocket???

I think the NHS route is fantastic for people who dont have the money or even to get you started, if youre not sure about something like WW/SW then its a good motivation to get you going, but once youve started and you know it works, and you can afford to, then I really think you shouldnt be expecting the NHS to fund it. And to a degree it is draining the service. Your doctors surgery will have a budget, and providing this free is using their budget. SW wont be providing this free of charge, someone has to cover the cost.

i agree go for it, as they say, you will probably save us NHS payers money, as you will be a lot healther.

Well done with your progress so far.

Going it alone

I have followed the diet many times but as soon as I stop going the diet trails off very quickly!!!!!:break_diet:Keep going!

my oh lost his job a couple of weeks ago and so the gym membership and sw classes were the first things to go, went to my gp, told him about the situation and as i have lost 3 stone in the past year and am keen to continue he gave me the 12 week gym program but knew nothing about the sw scheme.

i will do that, thank you starlight

I think you should go for it!!

Can think of many people who are a complete drain on tax payers money. I'm not wanting to offend people here either, because I know there are many genuine cases out there. It's not often that you get the chance to get something back.

I think obesity (sorry to use that word again!!) is classed as a medical condition anyway...so go for it!!

I'd go back to your GP as I know from personal experience once I stop having that weekly weigh-in I soon fall off the wagon. Even if they don't pay for more SW classes, they could send you to the nurse to get weighed every week, that would help you keep on track. They don't do the free SW on the NHS in my area unfortunately.

it is not even obesity, if you bmi is over 25 and have a medical condition, i have high blood pressure. i thought it had to be over 30 and said to my doctor that i mine will be alittle under the required 30 and was quite appalled that it only needed to be over 25.

I'm glad having the free SW tickets has helped - 1½ stone is a good start. However I don't think you've used them to their best, staying to class would be a bigger step in you understanding the healthy eating for life regime and you'd be less likely to fall off the wagon.:)
A few of our local Drs also do the gym membership thing but don't know if they do SW.

I do understand what you are saying about staying to class, I've been reading the comments on another thread which is currently running about staying or not. I just feel that I can't go to a class for the rest of my life, if I can't do it on my own (once I understand the basics) then I won't be able to do it at all! There is so much information and support available on the internet now that makes it much easier. Class just isn't me - but I know it's tremendously helpful for the vast majority of people following a regime and I respect that.

Anyway, I may be eating my words in a few weeks, we shall see!

Just to say though that there was no mention of whether I could afford SW or not when the tickets were offered, it has nothing to do with money, if you are significantly overweight, and willing to do something about it and your GP is in the scheme then the tickets are there for you, regardless of ability to pay. I feel I've made good use of them and I hope to continue to lose weight. I'm very grateful to SW for showing me the light!

Back