Granulated Sweetener

agee86

Hey,

So, I saw this morning that 1 tsp of granulated sweetener is free, but a tbsp carries half a syn?!

Confused!

I know that many people tend to use sweetener instead of sugar in baking etc, so could this be why? If so, why not add two tsp's sweetener instead of 1 tbsp.

I'm not moaning, but I'm confused, so if anyone could shed some light on why this is now the case, I'd be grateful.

Sweetener has never affected my weight loss, so I'm not too worried about it, but still interested.

We had this discussion in our group a while back. You're right that it has to do with baking. When you bake with it, you tend to use large quantities (significantly more than you would usually consume) so SW is now saying that if you're using it in a recipe that requires large quantities, such as baking a cake, you should count half a syn per tablespoon that you use. However, if you're just using it in small quantities, such as a teaspoon in a cup of tea, then you can have it as a free food as the calories you'll be consuming are minimal. I think it's just a bit of damage control as even though it's really low calorie, in large quantities the calories will add up (the Tesco Stevia one is 395 calories for 100g but only 2 calories for 1tsp).

I hope this makes sense!

Back