gravy! Im confused

Ambermaria23

Hi

Can someone help please- I have been avoiding roast dinners because I'm unsure of the rules on gravy.

I usually have Bisto gravy granules and like it thicker.

I do have some oxo cubes which I think are free but not entirely sure how to make nice gravy with them....

Also paxo stuffing syn value would help too :)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks ever so much in advance!

Bisto Gravy Granules (all flavors) are 2 syns for 142ml of gravy made up as directed. Obviously, if you like it thicker, you would have to syn it higher. For example if it says use 2 tbsp of granules to make it, but you use 4, just double the syns.
Oxo's are free and you can make gravy by disolving 1 or 2 cubes in a pan of boiling water and boil it down until it's reduced to the thickness you like. Bear in mind, this will take hours if you like it thick.

Oh, and Paxo Sage & Onion Stuffing (I pressume that's the one you meant) is 1.5 syns for 28g made up as directed.

Hope this helps :)

You can, but remember that will be syned ambermaria, hope this helps

Oxo cubes are free buth for the others just look at the calories - it is 1 syn for every 20 calories

And you'll find a syn free onion gravy on www.slimmingeats.com

Oooh thanks for that - am going to give it a try this afternoon.:D

Does Oxo thicken as it reduces? I would have thought it would have just evaporated but stayed the same consistancy? I might try that if it does.

Oooh thanks for that - am going to give it a try this afternoon.:D

I followed the recipe and it did reduce down, however I found it very, very salty, the only thing I did different was I used dried mixed herbs, and think I splashed too much vinegar, but would that make it salty?

I followed the recipe and it did reduce down, however I found it very, very salty, the only thing I did different was I used dried mixed herbs, and think I splashed too much vinegar, but would that make it salty?

vinegar shouldn't make it salty, although you only add a tiny splash for flavour and dried mixed herbs are okay as long as they have no salt added.

how many stock cubes did you add? As I would guess your saltiness came from those. You don't need anymore than 2 stock cubes for 500ml of water.

and it doesnt need any additional salt added.

loosemyageinweight said:
BritMumInCanada said:
how many stock cubes did you add? As I would guess your saltiness came from those. You don't need anymore than 2 stock cubes for 500ml of water.
It could be down to the brand of stock cube. I noticed Knorr stock cubes are very salty! I just used supermarket own brand and they seem okay. I haven't tried Oxo, so I can't comment there, but I know other people use them.

I also tried making it with Bovril once, as a friend suggested. That was horrendous :p

Thanks Britmumincanada and Mrssimpkin - I think it must be the stock cubes - I used Kalo ones, will get some OXO and try again.:)

I made this with bovril, two onions, mixed herbs and added sweetener instead of vinegar..........absolutely amazing with my roast beef dinner!

Back