Gravy

Nightwolf

Whats the syn value for Bisto gravy?

i would also like to know if there are lower syn gravy out there? or a SW alternative, this is for veg & meat stews.

I use an oxo (free) and add a little powdered potato to thicken. It works brilliantly and I have had no complaints from my family!

Wow what a great tip. How many syns would you count for this and how much potato do you use.

It is free on EE and I assume Green. When you make up instant mash, you are only synning the milk/butter not the potato. Instant mash is syn free so can be used as a thickener for free too!! I keep a foil pack on the go in the cupboard just for thickening.

Hi this gravy sounds great i like lots with my roast dinners. Do you make mash and then add oxo cube to make it into gravy.

No, the other way round. Mix Oxo with water then sprinkle instant mash into it to thicken. It doesn't take that much. It can be added to any meal that is a little runny to thicken. My husband even added it to a spag bol once (although he overdid it a little!).

Thank you, I have only just joined SW and doing the EE plan I will try this on sunday. Still trying to get to grips with SW forum it's so big. :)

Are chicken oxo cubes free on green days? I love me gravy too and got mixed up yesterday and thort it was 1 syn per table spoon so I only had 3 and it was dry as!!!

Also does anyone know if you are using gravy granules in my book (which is a few yrs old!) it says 'Granules made as directed, no fat added, 4 level tablespoon-1 syn. Does this mean 4 level tablespoons of the granules then add water? I have been just giving myself 4 level tablespoons of gravy but it occurred to me this morning that you could add more water to make it thinner and have more and then I thort well it must mean measure 4 tablespoons of granules then add ya water as desired!!
Is this correct? Having a left over sunday dinner tonight and would love to know so I can have more than last night!!!

xxxxxx

Are chicken oxo cubes free on green days? I love me gravy too and got mixed up yesterday and thort it was 1 syn per table spoon so I only had 3 and it was dry as!!!

Also does anyone know if you are using gravy granules in my book (which is a few yrs old!) it says 'Granules made as directed, no fat added, 4 level tablespoon-1 syn. Does this mean 4 level tablespoons of the granules then add water? I have been just giving myself 4 level tablespoons of gravy but it occurred to me this morning that you could add more water to make it thinner and have more and then I thort well it must mean measure 4 tablespoons of granules then add ya water as desired!!
Is this correct? Having a left over sunday dinner tonight and would love to know so I can have more than last night!!!

xxxxxx

All oxo 'cubes' are free.

Re the gravy granules, I read it to mean that it is four tablespoons of made up gravy. I.e. 4 teaspoons, added to 0.5 pint of boiling water makes the gravy and it would be one syn for 4 tablespoons of it. (I think it has fat content). You could always use the 4 teaspoons of granules and make it up to a pint, use 8 tablespoons for the same syn value, but it would be really thin.

I always stick to the oxo cube in water, thickened with the instant mash to make it free on EE. I'd rather save my syns for good stuff (like choc'lit nom nom nom).

AMEN TO THE FELLOW CHOCOHOLICS OUT THERE!!! I am exactly the same would rather make all meals as free as pos then use syns on the odd freddo or creme egg!!

So I could use 4 teaspoons of granules then make up to whatever thickness and would be 1 syn? I am going to try that oxo-mash next week when I get paid and can do some shopping!!!

Thanks xxxx

So I could use 4 teaspoons of granules then make up to whatever thickness and would be 1 syn?

No, sorry if that is what it sounds like as I didn't mean to confuse anyone. If you make half a pint of bisto up (for example) which requires 4 heaped teaspoons of granules, you can only have 4 tablespoons of the finished product for 1 syn.

Is that any clearer?

K x

Kinda!! So I can take 4 level tbspoons of gravy (even if thick) then add a bit more water to thin if I want it to go further? I generally make gravy in a bit of a hap-hazard way just bung the granules in until its thick! Never measure it!!

Think I will make it up like that in future 4 teaspoons in half pint water then I will take 4 tblsp's and add a bit more water!!!

xx

Kinda!! So I can take 4 level tbspoons of gravy (even if thick) then add a bit more water to thin if I want it to go further? I generally make gravy in a bit of a hap-hazard way just bung the granules in until its thick! Never measure it!!

Think I will make it up like that in future 4 teaspoons in half pint water then I will take 4 tblsp's and add a bit more water!!!

xx

Sounds good to me!

Back