Greeting

Well, hello everyone.

I have been lurking on a few weight loss sites and you lot seem a friendly bunch so I thought I'd join and give it a go.

About me - I'm male, 36, and a few days ago I stepped on the scales and gave myself the fright of my life when I topped 16 stones for the first time ever.

I'm not quite sure how this happened. Until my mid-20s I was fairly thin but over the last 10 years I have just bloated. I don't think I eat too badly but my main problems are a desk based job, a dislike of excerise and a fondness of beer.

I was fairly successful a few years ago on Atkins (when it was all the rage) when I lost about 20lbs in a few months - but soon returned to old habits (mainly the beer!) and put all of the lost weight back on again, and more.

I do find that Low Carb really helps me in the short term. Cutting out the beer, spuds, rice, bread and pasta works with me but I do find the diet boring, rather expensive and difficult to maintain so I suppose I'm looking for ideas and support on going that bit further.

My plan: cut down on the carbs (at least for the first month), get more active and stop the beer drinking (that's the hardest part!). Ideally, I'd like to get down from 16 to 12st but an interim goal would be 14st, which is where I was a few years ago.

So, here goes...

1127168qo8basv9g8.gif

Welcome to Mini's :) You'll find as much support as you can get here!

Hi Mate and welcome, yes the beer did it for me as well, I loved my pints of Guiness. I swapped to dry red wine, careful though if your a beer drinker your a gulper not a sipper, I had a few rocky moments with that ;)

Hi Mate and welcome, yes the beer did it for me as well, I loved my pints of Guiness. I swapped to dry red wine, careful though if your a beer drinker your a gulper not a sipper, I had a few rocky moments with that ;)

Thanks. Yes, the sad realisation is that the beer is going to have to go. In fact, I'm going to try to cut out the alcohol as much as possible for the next month.

I've tried the wine-replacement technique before, and you are right, it can get pretty messy when you are use used to the speed and volume of drinking beer.

Oh well, I suppose it's for a good cause.:sigh:

Last edited:
Yes, the sad realisation is that the beer is going to have to go.

I do have the odd glass of Guiness now I'm in Maint, but I have to watch it or I'll get a taste for it again. ;)

Hi all- thanks for the support. I've had a pretty good first full week of my new lifestyle and lost 6lbs.

My only moment of weakness came when I went out with a few friends and had a few pints - but I did recover my will power for our regular Friday office pub lunch.

well done on the 6lbs mate. OK, you had a few pints of beer, it happens .

Back