Greetings

coils

Hi all, I'm Melanie! I'm 30 and live in Northampton (UK) and am in the 1st month of trying to loose weight (again!). I've lost about a stone already but have 7 or so to go. I'm not following any plan this time, just trying to eat the right things and exercise, so that means no more pizza! I live by myself so doing this solo is probably going to be harder than when I last lost weight, hence why I've joined here to get some ideas and to meet new friends! 4 1/2 years ago I joined a SW group and within 9 months had dropped 5 1/2 stone and won the Woman of the Year + Greatest Loser. I'm hoping to repeat this, but maybe a bit slower this time as I've put all the weight back on again over the past 3 years. Slow and steady as they say. I've joined a local Gym and am currently going about 4 times a week which is something I never did on any of my previous attempts to drop weight.

Anyhows, I look forward to a fun and eventful time on this forum!

Hi Melanie.. I'm new to these Forums, but wanted to drop in a hello.. Well done on your previous weight loss.. I'm just curious after such an amazing weight loss, how did the weight creep back on?.. I keep telling myself losing it is the hard part, but after reading so many who have lost previously and put on, I do wonder if maintaining is more difficult?.. I hate my figure / size and think once I've lost the weight (if I ever get there) I'd never let myself get back like this.. Can you offer any support on losing the weight correctly to ensure it stays off?.. Anything you are doing differently this time to keep it off?.. Thank You :) xx

Thanks for the reply! Every time I've lost weight in the past I've always reached the same stage, size 18, 16-ish stone (can't remember the last time I was in the 14 range!). In my case the weight creeps back on very gradually, and you kid yourself you've not gained anything and still look as fabulous as you did. I suffered from the "I'll start the diet tomorrow" or "one pack of crisps won't make a difference" syndrome, which unfortunately adds up! I've also been overweight pretty much all my life and I'm determined to do it properly this time, which is why I've taken up going to the gym and such. I'm trying calorie counting, I think it's helping me realise just how much I used to over-eat. Here's hoping this time I can shift it all and get into that nice dress I wore once!

Good luck with your journey, having a place to share and discuss your progress is definitely a great start!

Ah thank you for your reply :)

I've just weighed myself after my first week of slimming word, and I'm pleased to report I lost 4lbs.. How have you been getting on?..

Would you say with Slimming World, you were overrating then?.. I do wonder sometimes how all this pasta and potatoes can be good for you?.. I have a really big appetite so really do take advantage of those free carbs.. Would you say it's better to be aware of the calorie intake as you go?.. That's a good thought actually!..

I've been gradually gaining weight since my late teens.. I'm 30 now and at the peak of my weight gain.. It's so hard to find the will power to stick to a healthy lifestyle.. I want it so bad, but do really find it hard..

I plan to go running tomorrow with a friend who is also losing weight, I'm terrified!.. But I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Good Luck on your weight loss journey :)

Congrats on the loss! I weigh every Wednesday so will find out tomorrow, fingers crossed.

With Slimming World I was a Red day lass, I just couldn't loose when on Green or Extra Easy. Pasta and Potatoes just stuffed me up and nothing happened. On Red days all I ate was LOADS of fish and eggs as a substitute for potatoes (went to the doctors to make sure 2/3 eggs a day wasn't a bad thing). I must admit, I was hungry, but it felt like I was achieving something. That and the weight dropped off, I was getting 1/2 stone stickers every 2-3 weeks.

How'd the running go? Can't stand it myself, too heavy on the poor knees! :D It is hard, but with a little more determination, hopefully THIS time will be successful!

All the best!

Welcome and good luck, Melanie! This forum is great for motivation and support, it's encouraged me loads. As you've got quite a lot to lose, you might like to check out the sub-forum for those who have a good amount to go - it's under Slimming Clubs and is called WEMITTs (We Mean It This Time!). Like you, i've lost and re-gained (many times!) in the past, and am really hoping this is my last time, lol. As you kniw, keeping it off is by far the hardest part, so having somewhere like Minimins to come for inspiration is invaluable. All the best. :) xx

coils said:
Hi Tracy, thanks for the welcome, I have read through the WeMITT section and will be participating!

Yes, I just saw you'd posted on a thread over there, glad you're going to join the WEMITTs! I stilk go on there for inspiration, even though I've no longer got a lot to lose, and it's a really lively section. :) xx

Back