Grow your meal

tipperary

Gold Member
Hi all, so I noticed a few of us have been growing veggies and herbs so thought we could have a thread about. I have a polytunnel and veg garden but will be back later to update about them.
So share your growing ideas and even more so your cooking and eating ideas and especially how they fit in to your chosen eating plan

I'm excited - and look forward to following this thread.

My sister recommended buying grafted tomatoes as I had a couple of years with failed tomato growing. I did - and had an amazing summer last summer. I eat low carb - and I include tomatoes. They have higher carbs than the green leaves, courgettes etc - but they are also good for getting a rainbow of veg (yes I know they are a fruit!) and a good source of lycopene (a carotene) - so good for health. I've just ordered some grafted plants including tomatoes, an aubergine and a cucumber - all to grow outside as I have no greenhouse or cold frame. I'm going to plant some radishes and leafy salad too.

I'm also growing lots of flowers as I love having a house full of flowers!

I've seeds sown in the polytunnel. This year in there I will be growing tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes, chilli's, peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, scallions, rocket and lots of mixed lettuce. I also have lots of herbs parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, lemon verbena and leaf celery. Outside I have mint and lemon balm. Also outside is artichokes, asparagus and rhubarb. I will have pumpkins outside too, they are sown in pots in the tunnel.
My diet is ketoish, I don't weigh and am trying to restrict carbs. So tomatoes, beetroot and carrots aren't really allowed. But I don't eat much of them and do try to calculate the carbs in them.
I eat a lot of spinach and cucumber so am happy to grow them. And as a family we eat a lot of salad leaves

I've to get growbags for the tomatoes.half of them are ready to be transplant now.

Hiya I grow my veg, I really enjoy my garden, not sure if I am allowed to post a link to my Instagram? I don't sell anything it is just full of my vegetable growing, my running and training. I know some forums don't like links though?

I think you are but not sure. What you can do is anyone who would like to.see it can request the link by PM. Im doing so now, 😄

Actually i just tried to. PM you but can't. I dont know if its your settings or because you are a new member

Ah hopefully I'll get 50 posts soon. I've put a link in my signature but you cant see it on the mobile version. I'm obsessed with veg growing. I've so many little plants growing at the moment ready to go in my raised beds.😁

The weather has been so cold at night that we have had frost every night know for over a week. The seed germination in the tunnel has stalled. Im worried about not get pumpkins, squash and third lot of tomatoes growing and into the ground on time for a decent harvest. Growing is a slow process and i enjoy it as it really makes you take notice of the passing seasons and you tend to slow down. Inlist some seedlings in February as i sewed indoors but too early and they went leggy and keeled over. I was just too impatient

The cold weather is driving me nuts. My runner beans and chilie plants are on my windowsill until it warms up. My other baby plants are in a cold frame and seem to be okay at the minute. It needs to be summer now 😆

Checked the tunnel yesterday and everything is germinating now, even 3 of the giant pumpkins have popped up so hopefully the rest will. I like to use pumpkin as an alternative to mash, its much lower in carbs and perfect to top a cottage pie. Courgettes were transplanted into buckets and have taken well. Im thinking of transplanting the first lot of tomato plants into the growbags today. But first i have to move the growbags into the tunnel, i just dont know if i have the energy for it.

Oh wow you're more advanced than I am with the gardening. My little plants are doing well but I wasn't going to put them out yet. Maybe i should.

Mine arent going outside but will be on the polytunnel. Nothing will be outside until at least mid May. Last year i lost all my pumpkin plants to frost on May 12th, i was so annoyed. Prior to that the latest frost i had noted was 5th May so i thought it was safe.

My butternut squash never grew last year. I do have some poly tunnels and I should put them up really. Might be a job for next weekend.

I'm growing peas.runner beans,toms,courgettes,pumpkins,squash,corn and strawberries..
Not doing to well as I've been away and hubby didn't water them. Hopefully now I have given them a good soaking they will pick up. I did label things but the sun has bleached the word so don't know what is what with the Pumpkins and Squash. Will have to wait for them to grow.:)

Love the mystery veg growing, Mary!

I've just received 3 very small aubergine grafted plugs in the mail. I have no cold frame so will pot up tomorrow and put on a window sill. I've gone a bit mad on Framer Gracy and bought some massive peonies and agapanthus clumps as a birthday present to myself. I'm excited as they'll flower this year.

Back