grrrr debit cards

bettylollypop

soon to be skinny minnie
Last night i went to asda to get some things, however when i got to the check out i used my debit card (knowing i had money in it as i checked my balance before i went in). My card was declined :mad::mad::mad: I was mortified as there was a huge que. Anyway i left and went back to the car, and on my way home i stopped at the bank to check the balance. It said i had money in it.

So i phoned the bank this morning, and they said that a company is trying to take money from my account, but they were concerned as they had taken one amount out successfully on the 20th (which is ok as i bought it) but now they were trying to take the same amount (which was quite a large amount) another 3 times. The bank didn't think this right so wanted to check with me. I told them it isn't right i bought something and paid for it and that was it. So they said i am ok to take money out but they have put a hold on debit payments until it is sorted. I phoned the company and they said it is a mistake and they will cancel the other 3 payments.

That is why i don't like using my visa debit card, and things like this always happen to me round about this time. There is enough money in the account so they could have let the payment go, but thanks to a concerned bank they never.

Sorry to ramble, had to get it off my chest.

That's happened to me before, it's not nice is it.

Bloody banks lol.

And breath, 2, 3, 4... xxx

Oh Honey, do not get me started on debit cards or banks! I have so many things like that happen and it happened to me just the other day! Sometimes, things don't go through the first time, so now I usually get them to do it again to be sure and then it works.

It's just the emabarassment of it all isn't it! Poor you :(

I will never forget the night, I ended up stranded in Oxford with no way of getting home as I couldn’t pick up my train ticket at the station

I called my bank as I knew I had more than enough money in there and that it wasn’t a problem with funds and they said. We noticed that you have been buying a lot of things online lately (it was in the run up to Christmas!) so we decided to stop your card until we had chance to speak to you and check it was you. I said Its working as a cash card but not a debit card she said yes that’s how it works you wouldn’t notice till you try and use it as a debit card! Hmmmmm just a shame it was at 10:30 at night and I was stranded in a train station hundreds of miles away from home and I couldn’t pick up my train tickets from the big red machine.
I literally hit the roof when she said they couldn’t make it work until 7:00am the next morning .. because I couldn’t check into a hotel without a debit card either so I ended up having to go back to my friends house which was in Reading meaning a grovelling phone call and a can you come and get me
I then had to pay for another train ticket the day after and then argue with the bank to get a refund for the ticket I couldn’t use plus some of the difference of the cost I had by buying one on the day all in all their little security measure cost me about £90

Why is it when your mad busy and don’t have the time they call you trying to sell you a mortgage or a loan or some other totally cack thing and wont get off the flipping phone but when they are stopping your debit card because they think there is a problem with security they don’t call you and check its really you buying the stuff ?!?!

I will never forget the night, I ended up stranded in Oxford with no way of getting home as I couldn’t pick up my train ticket at the station

I called my bank as I knew I had more than enough money in there and that it wasn’t a problem with funds and they said. We noticed that you have been buying a lot of things online lately (it was in the run up to Christmas!) so we decided to stop your card until we had chance to speak to you and check it was you. I said Its working as a cash card but not a debit card she said yes that’s how it works you wouldn’t notice till you try and use it as a debit card! Hmmmmm just a shame it was at 10:30 at night and I was stranded in a train station hundreds of miles away from home and I couldn’t pick up my train tickets from the big red machine.
I literally hit the roof when she said they couldn’t make it work until 7:00am the next morning .. because I couldn’t check into a hotel without a debit card either so I ended up having to go back to my friends house which was in Reading meaning a grovelling phone call and a can you come and get me
I then had to pay for another train ticket the day after and then argue with the bank to get a refund for the ticket I couldn’t use plus some of the difference of the cost I had by buying one on the day all in all their little security measure cost me about £90

Why is it when your mad busy and don’t have the time they call you trying to sell you a mortgage or a loan or some other totally cack thing and wont get off the flipping phone but when they are stopping your debit card because they think there is a problem with security they don’t call you and check its really you buying the stuff ?!?!

That is a very good point! Grrr!! BANKS!

When my partner bought his car, we took it a wee drive to ikea and he tried to pay for some stuff and ikea had to phone the bank and let my oh speak to them. The bank said they werent going to authorise card payments as there was a large purchase from arnold clark . He had to answer lots of questions then they authorised it.

I am sure if we check our balance and notice someone has made a large purchase, we will be the first to report it!!!

We had this happen in France! Me and Hubby were travelling with our Daughter who was 2years old. Tried to pay for shopping and it was all declined...very embarrasing as although I can speak french, Im not fluent!
Anyway, Hubby called bank who said that there was a dodgy chip and pin machine at one of the supermarkets we had been to previously and as a result stopped Hubby's card and froze his account.
Thank fully I had a card on me and we then had to go through a process of both me and Hubby (as we had seperate accounts) speaking with the bank to transfer the money from Hubby's account to mine in order for us to travel on further. Was not a happy bunny!!!

I used to be a fraud investigtor in the Fraud Department for a high street bank up until 2 yrs ago when I was made redundant. I used to put referrals on cards which had suspected transactions on. We used a system called a fraud detection engine which would pick up anything that was unusual, or fraud hotspots. We then had to look at the transactions and make a decision whether to stop the card or to let it go. We had to check 12 cards an hour! Usually it's better to err on the side of caution and stop the card. It could end up saving the bank a lot of money.

If anyone is going abroad it's always wise to call the bank and ask to speak to the fraud department, or if they all use the same system, Customer Services and tell them you are going on holiday. That way, if your card number comes up on a fraud detection engine, the investigator will see the notes and not stop the card.

Another tip, always change your pin number every 4 weeks!

I used to be a fraud investigtor in the Fraud Department for a high street bank up until 2 yrs ago when I was made redundant. I used to put referrals on cards which had suspected transactions on. We used a system called a fraud detection engine which would pick up anything that was unusual, or fraud hotspots. We then had to look at the transactions and make a decision whether to stop the card or to let it go. We had to check 12 cards an hour! Usually it's better to err on the side of caution and stop the card. It could end up saving the bank a lot of money.

If anyone is going abroad it's always wise to call the bank and ask to speak to the fraud department, or if they all use the same system, Customer Services and tell them you are going on holiday. That way, if your card number comes up on a fraud detection engine, the investigator will see the notes and not stop the card.

Another tip, always change your pin number every 4 weeks!

Thanks for the information space angel, will follow your advice when i go on holiday etc x

Back