Guidence needed.

Les

Les
I've done so well these last couple of days I thought I would have a sneaky weigh, yes I'm in th 11s so happy but have one big problem. My son and family go off on their hols tomorrow and we have been asked to go down for tea tonight and it's Fish and chips☹. How do I get out of this one ?

That sounds really difficult. I mean, what you probably shouldn't do (if you can possibly avoid it) is eat fish 'n' chips. It's really not good for your body to 'jump' in and out of VLCD-mode - and psychologically I can't imagine eating food one day and products is the next is very helpful either.

So with my most practical hat on I guess you've got ... three choices?

1. If you feel you can go and resist the temptation to eat (although the smell of fish 'n' chips would kill me, honestly) and you want to see them before you go on holiday: then go. If you do go, you should probably explain in advance that you're going because you want to see them but you won't be eating and ask how they feel about that (after all, it's socially awkward if person isn't eating, and my ruin their tea): you can explain the not-eating by saying you're on a diet and asking for their support (if they're not supportive of you, that's a different level of problem) or if you're okay telling a white lie to your family, because you don't want to get into a diet talk with them, you could say you're not feeling well (tummy trouble? nobody ever asks about that ;) ) and don't want to eat something so greasy and heavy.

2. You can cry off: either by telling the truth that you're on a diet and you feel being around food will be hard or, again, a white lie and say you're not well.

3. Alternatively you could use either 'excuse' (truth or white lie - you're on a diet, you're not feeling well) and suggest you come round to see them AFTER they've eaten. After all, presumably they want to see *you*. Not see you eat fish 'n' chips. If that makes sense.

Hope this helps. I definitely don't want to tell you what you to do, and only you know your family, your relationship with them and how they're likely to react in a given situation, but my strong feeling is that you *shouldn't* feel bullied / socially pressured into eating fish 'n' chips. The thing is, going on a diet is something you are doing *for you* - for your health, comfort and self-esteem. It is okay to do prioritise something you are doing for you over the feelings of other people occasionally. Because, as much as they love you and you love them, your body is your business not your family's. And if they are uncomfortable with you doing something for your own health and peace ... well ... as I said above. That's a different level of problem.

Good luck!

Thanks for your lovely reply. I'm thinking I might take my sweet n sour noodles as my holiday is only 4 weeks away. What does it matter it's my choice my body and if they don't like it .it's their problem not mine I'm having such a good week xThank u once again x. Les

Forgot to say had a sneaky weigh and I'm 11.13 so I don't want to throw it all away x

Oh that's amazing! You definitely don't want to undo your hard work - and so close to your goal too!

Good luck tonight, and you're right: it is your body and your choices. VLCDs get a lot of bad press so I understand why people who love you might not be concerned. Also there's so much social and cultural weight--no pun intended--behind eating with families that it sometimes make people act unreasonably when suddenly you're not doing that any more).

But it's okay for this to be about you! <3

Reactions: Les
Hi there. So this is what happened. We got fish and chips for the family my hubby wasn't too happy about me taking down a pkt so we decided to get a Chinese. I ended up having half a portion of chicken and pineapple which I thought was ok. I've only had two pkts today . Hopefully I haven't done too much damage fingers crossed. X

I've checked my weight thismorning and there's no gain. So I'm right back on track today x Have a great day everyone x

Back