gym or aqua fit help????Im joining the Gym tonight

i'lldoit

Banned
Im starting exercising this week and I may go to Aquafit or Imay go to the Gym with LL costing £66 per week I cant afford to do both,the Gym sounds fab its a 1-1 approach of just 6 people in there it costs depentants on how often you go.once a week for 4 weeks it costs £26.00 twice a week for 4 weeks it costs £44.20.If I went to once a week and once a week Aquafit it would cost £42.00 so do I do Aquafit and GYm once a week or Gym twice a week????? Decisisions?? Or GYm once a week until I get nearer my goal weight?OR do I do Gym twicw a week???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ..........The gym is expensive BUT it is 1-1 like a personal trainer shared between 6 people all who want to lose weight/get fit???I have to phone the lady later and let her know any advice would be appreciated?
thanks
xxc :)

Last edited:
Hi
The idea of toning whilst you lose weight is great but remember than it HAS to be mainly toning ... you just aren't taking in enough carbs to sustain heavy-duty cardio work-outs .

You'd have to make this very clear to the personal trainer if you do the gym thing. Different trainers have different approaches: some are all for pushing the heart-rate up for extended periods, others are more flexible.

For example: when I was a gym-bod (used to go 4 times a week), my instructor was all for cross-training with plenty of resitance work (weight machines) and some low impact aerobic exercise (bikes, rowers, treadmill) - basically I alternated between weighs and cardio machines just doing 5 minutes on each in turn. I wasn't on CD at the time and could afford to turn up the heat a bit but doing it now, I keep the resitance levels on the cardio machines low / med. Toned muscle burns fat more effectively so a good work-out doesn't necessarily mean one where you're collapsing in a sweaty heap!

My sister on the other hand was at a different gym and her instructor didn't even let her use the weights machines for a month and would have her hammering away on the treadmill for half an hour at a time. She lasted 3 months and was disappointed at her lack of progress: I lasted 2 years with the far less rigid programme.

Aquarobics is a fab toning workout with the water offering resitance and your weight supported.
If I were you and was going to do two things per week, I'd opt for one gym (with restrictions) and one aquarobic session. You can always tweak it as you go along. The variety will also stop you from getting bored meaning you'll be more likely to stick with it long term.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hi Debbie Thanks for that :D I knew I had to be carful not to do to much whilst on LL and I will explain to them,I did say on the phone for now im mainly needing to do toning so she said Monday nights lady is ideal for that,so I phoned upa nd lest a message,that is good for me as im quiet shy,I am meant to be going to Aquafit Thursday night :eek: God I'll have a life :)
Thanks again
xxc

Hi well thats it im taking the Bull by the horns and Im joining the GYm TONIGHT :eek:
I have my induction at 7.30pm so thats it..............
I will be toned and slim soon.
Wish me luck
xxc:D :D :D :D :eek:

I'd certainly go for the gym sessions - if it's with a personal trainer (not a gym instructor - personal trainers are a lot more qualified) they will take everything into account, probably make you fill in a lifestyle questionnaire, and tailor your workout to your goals and your lifestyle. I'm just guessing here, but Debbie, was your sister's instructor actually a personal trainer or was he a member of staff at the gym who put together a programme for her as part of her membership? Cos it doesn't sound at all like something a personal trainer would advise.

He was a personal trainer .... but not HER personal trainer. In that capacity, he was a general instructor giving general advice. It's a lot more wonga to get 1-2-1 with a PT.

Her gym seemed a lot more 'gung-ho' than mine ... more 'male' if you know what I mean. Lots of sweat flying about.

My gym had a mixture of people but especially lots of women, many of whom were middle aged (like me :) ) and my instructor was female (and the gym owner).

She did a full medical form, went through my lifestyle and did a body fat ratio test before designing a programme for me. It was flexible and not boring which kept me going for 2 years - I loved it. I haven't found anything that can touch her approach since moving 300 miles back down south.

That's the thing with talking about 'joining a gym' as if there's a set standard - there isn't. Some gyms are fab - some are not so great. If someone has had a bad experience at a gym (like my sister) then that's likely to colour their opinion of gyms in general, which is a pity. She'll probably never go to a gym again with her memory of an approach close to Royal Marine Commando Basic Training!!

I'lldoit's gym sounds as if it's going to be great and tailored to her needs. :)

Hmmm...I'd be questioning his qualifications then! If he's keeping people away from resistance work then it doesn't sound like he's been properly trained. I doubt you'll find many PTs in the country who won't include resistance to some extent in your workout, even if they're giving out free advice (which frankly sounds suss to me). To be honest I can't think of many gym instructors who would leave resistance training out of a workout either.

Don't get me wrong, I know loads of really good gym instructors (as opposed to PTs) who can put together a great programme and really know their stuff, but a PT commands more money because he or she is much more qualified and can go into much more detail on the nutrition and lifestyle side of things...so you expect a certain level of expertise and understanding of differing needs and lifestyles - yes, even when the advice is free. I don't give worse advice to people who pay me less - can you imagine?

The setup at I'lldoit's gym does sound great. It's this kind of personalised approach that gets people interested in fitness and keeps them there.

Hi Thanks guys
I went had my induction and it was fab as they concentrated on what I wanted,to tone my arms tum and bust legs and just some slight cardio.It wasnt daunting and I enjoyed it,so I will be going there once a week until LL isnt costing so much (management) then I will encrease it gradually.I think I may be going to Aqua-fit on Thursday Pm that I am nervous about as its getting my body out :eek: :eek:
Well fingers crossed for week 6 weigh-in Tomorrow xx

xxc

That's brilliant! I'm glad it went well.

You will be fine with Aqua Fit, because remember once you're in the water nobody can see your body properly anyway. Plus I bet you'll find everyone else is too busy being self conscious about their own bodies to worry about yours :)

I'm really pleased for you, getting to grips with exercise :D

That's brilliant! I'm glad it went well.

You will be fine with Aqua Fit, because remember once you're in the water nobody can see your body properly anyway. Plus I bet you'll find everyone else is too busy being self conscious about their own bodies to worry about yours :)

I'm really pleased for you, getting to grips with exercise :D

Hi Thanks Kate:D I really need to exercise as I can get a wee bit lazy :eek: I just dread that getting to the pool ! Oh and out again :eek: omg didnt think of the getting out again! lol
Well I have to do it I said id go now XX

I'll do it

I think you will absolutely love Aquafit and dont worry about your body. I'm a size 30 and after finally building up the courage - I don't know what I was fussing about. It is a really enjoyable class and I am now up to 3 times a week.

I'll do it

I think you will absolutely love Aquafit and dont worry about your body. I'm a size 30 and after finally building up the courage - I don't know what I was fussing about. It is a really enjoyable class and I am now up to 3 times a week.

Well done you I may see if I can go next week?
xxc

Back