Gyms and Fitness Club

Meli

Gold Member
I wanted to join a gym or fitness club and was wondering what the best deals were at the moment and your experiences (which ones are the best). I prefer to go to a women's only section for exercising and go in a pool that I don't have kids splashing all over.
Any recommendations quality and price wise?

Hi Meli, I go to DW (was JJB) but it's the only one I've been to so can't compare. I pay £24 (I think) per month for offpeak which means I can go between 8:30 and 4:30 weekdays and all day weekends. It isn't women's only though. The pool is open for kids for a couple of hours in the afternoon but I tend to go mornings so never see them. The children have to pay alot so I know there aren't many with membership.

I love it but as I say, I've nothing to compare it to so it might be rubbish.;)
Good luck finding something suitable.

I used to go to curves which is a womens only thing, not quite a gym-you do 30mins 3 times a week (or more) doing 30secs on a resistance machine and then 30 secs jogging on the spot, moving round in a circle. It doesnt sound like much but I got really good results-massive inch loss! then was struck down with glandular fever and couldnt go and by the time I was well enough to exercise again it had shut down! Gutted! Although if I remember it was quite expensive-£30 per month which then you would need to pay for swimming on top of that

My local leisure centre is £28per month which includes the gym any classes and swimming pool. They do not allow kids in the pool after 9pm and it is pure bliss! I went this morn and spent most of the time trying to find somewhere to swim around them-sticking to nights from now on!

Hi Meli, I go to DW (was JJB) but it's the only one I've been to so can't compare. I pay £24 (I think) per month for offpeak which means I can go between 8:30 and 4:30 weekdays and all day weekends. It isn't women's only though. The pool is open for kids for a couple of hours in the afternoon but I tend to go mornings so never see them. The children have to pay alot so I know there aren't many with membership.

I love it but as I say, I've nothing to compare it to so it might be rubbish.;) Good luck finding something suitable.

OMG Laura youve lost 2 1/2 stone in 2 months! Well done you

I used to go to Virgin Active, but that was when I could go off peak. Now that dh is working I need to find a place the I can go after 6pm during the week.
In VA they had a mixed section to exercise and a women's only.
Does anyone know anything about Fitness First/David Lloyd, etc and how these compare?

I used to be a member of Total Fitness but they are mainly in the North and I'm not sure where you are? They have an 'air circulation system' rather than 'air conditioning' which, is awful so I finally decided to move on. I am now at the Village gym which is a lot cooler with a bigger range of classes, a 'quiet' gym mainly used by women and toning tables! I'm peak at £40 a month but they do an off peak membership too. Been quite impressed so far.

I would check out your local council see if they offer anything, I know that worked out quite a lot cheaper than private companies for me.

There was no time restrictions on that. Also it included all the classes and swimming also. Think mine was £24 a month and fitnessfirst and companies like that were quoting me around £40 so quite a good saving.

I ended up cancelling it as wasn't using it much and got myself a wiifit instead.

Oh and another option maybe worth investigating is my council gyms also offer a pay as you go option where you pay about £4 each time you go maybe worth doing something like this for few weeks before taking out a membership as you are usually then stuck with it for at least 12months.

Like I say maybe not all councils offer such a service but I know all the ones around my area do.

X

I'm in the NorthWest - Greater Manchester area.
Need to check around the council gyms as it seems like they would be the cheapest. Thanks for the advice.

try a council for a pay as you go option - my friend gets her reduced via her doctors (they subsidise it or something - not something i have looked into yet tho?) and just check times and stuff - i think swimming is around £4 a time, and gym is cheaper....

If there is a new gym by you, worth checking out opening offers etc - we have a Village gym which is nice, and they have opening deals....

Have fun! i dont have the gym bunny gene so hate the places - much more fun walking and cycling in the open air :D x

I go to the Village in Cheadle which has some great different classes but it isn't cheap. I spoke to someone at work who uses the council gym at Cheadle and he pays £24 a month. Says it is really good! There is one the same price in Hazel Grove as well and they have a no joining fee sign outside too.

Council owned gyms are often the cheapest, even free if you can be flexible with the times of day you go.
But it is rare they have womens only sections. Pools are often empty if you go early morning or during school time, just avoid them like the plague at weekends.

Schools are another good bet - more and more are opening gyms to the public at good prices.

Back