Had a fall out with my dad :'(

ican2013

I am onto my 2nd week of slimming world. I lost 8lb last week and have been feeling super positive. My parents came round today as its their anniversary and I had made them a Victoria sponge. I saved some syns so I could have a slice. I mentioned to my dad that my home scales are all over the place so I stopped using them. He them piped up saying I needed to cut my portion size right down. Apparently he had seen my breakfast the other morning. I had 1 sausage (1/2 syn) 1 hash brown ( 2 syns ) bacon, egg and beans. I also had melon and a banana after. I know it wasn't the best breakfast but I had it pretty much every day last week and did well. I have bought small 6" plates to use. My lunch is normally a salad and meat based sandwich and dinner would be something like spag bol (syn free) or chicken with loads of salad and sw chips. I don't know how to cut my portions down anymore. I got really annoyed with my dad as he kept repeating my portion sizes were to big, this from the 19 stone man who would have gone home and eaten half the cake.

As soon as they left I burst into tears, got on my scales which tell me I have put on 1/4 lb even though I have 100% stuck to plan apart from the cake today. So now I feel even worse :'( sorry for the rant just needed some support

Firstly, step off the scales. If they are all over the place then they will not be accurate, plus your weight can fluctuate wildly from day to day and hour to hour. Weighing once a week, at the same time is the only way you'll see a realistic and accurate weight change.

As for your dad, ignore him. I can't tell if he thinks he is being helpful, or if he is just being plain old nasty, but you absolutely can have big portions on SW and lose weight. I am a massive eater and never once cut down portion size or ate from a small plate. In fact, the weeks I ate more were the weeks I lost the most. If you don't eat enough you will gain weight as your body hangs on to every last bit just in case.

Your breakfast sounds fine, the sort of thing I have, so don't worry about that. If you do want to think about cutting down, it's not portion control that is important, it's Proportion control. Make sure the 1/3superfree is on the plate, not necessarily after the meal as this will then ensure you are filled up on the least calorific foods.

Good luck and don't worry. SW works and as you get smaller and still eat big meals your dad will just have to eat his words!

You mention that you told him your scales were all over the place....that was the problem. He is a man and from a man's perspective you have given him a problem and he needs to fix it. In his brain, the way to fix your problem is to tell you to eat less. Trust me it's as simple as that. He isn't being nasty, he's just being a man and one who has no concept of slimming world. He just wants to help you, so don't feel bad. Maybe the next time you see him you could tell him how surprised you are how much you can enjoy eating and still lose weight. Maybe he will be interested to know how the diet works?

With regards to your scales, they won't be calibrated like the SW scales and so you won't get like for like readings, but nevertheless, you can still take that into account, plus as Supergirl says, weight fluctuates so much, it's best to weigh once a week.

Good luck with the plan :)

What you also need to remember is your dads a different generation and hes a man :)
Dieting is probably dead simple to him. Eat less, exercise more etc...

If you look at your breakfast through his eyes I had 1 sausage (1/2 syn) 1 hash brown ( 2 syns ) bacon, egg and beans. I also had melon and a banana after. lets be honest to someone who doesnt understand how SW works, that is NOT what you would expect someone on a diet to have for breakfast. Hes probably thinking fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal etc

I think rather than fall out with him you need to try re educate him in how SW works and you never know he may join you when he sees how much you can eat AND be on plan :)

What you also need to remember is your dads a different generation and hes a man :)
Dieting is probably dead simple to him. Eat less, exercise more etc...

If you look at your breakfast through his eyes I had 1 sausage (1/2 syn) 1 hash brown ( 2 syns ) bacon, egg and beans. I also had melon and a banana after. lets be honest to someone who doesnt understand how SW works, that is NOT what you would expect someone on a diet to have for breakfast. Hes probably thinking fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal etc

I think rather than fall out with him you need to try re educate him in how SW works and you never know he may join you when he sees how much you can eat AND be on plan :)

I second what Starlight has said. I've had this problem with my OH, he just can't get his head round the amount I can & do eat on this Slimming World diet, he's kinda coming round as he hears & sees the result everyweek, but I've had no end of "Thats come diet you're on" & other comments. He's been dieting too but calorie counting, his diet is kinda at a standstill too. At some stage I'm expecting him to cave & come round to SW;)

No point in falling out, just leave your books & magazines in your fathe'rs way & he'll eventually come round, he may even join you, there's a daughter father combo come to our group & they're great at spurring each other on.

Hope you're feeling better today :bighug:

A lot of people don't get SW. Your Dad is probably one of them. No need to feel bad (you sound like you're sticking to the plan very well) and definitely no need to feel bad towards him - afterall, so many people really do think "dieting" or losing weight is all about being hungry, eating lettuce and nothing else. He sounds like he just doesn't understand it all, and if he's anything like my dad, nothing will teach him otherwise. Just think how fab you will feel (and look) when you've lost a load of weight through eating lots of yummy food and not starving yourself.

SW works.

Some people don't get it, but more fool them! Keep positive and keep on plan! :)

I get this from my gran occasionally. It IS hard to get your head round, I still can't believe the amount I eat and then lose weight. I agree about the scales. My consultant was warning us off relying on our bathroom scales during the week - said that the SW scales are crazy accurate, 1/4 of a pound I think she said, and that they have to read the same no matter the surface they're on. I want some haha!

Stick to the plan, you know it's working, just remember that your Dad is more used to diets, not lifestyle choices :)

Back