Had dinner with friends - when to test if still in ketosis?

Diddums

Well, after much thought process I decided I would have something to eat with friends. Now I was happy over dinner, but now I'm quite upset with myself.

I had rump steak served with salad (tomato, cucumber, red onion, lettuce). I'm not sure if it has knocked me out of ketosis yet, as the stick still goes pale pink, but its only been 2 hours since I ate, so I'm going to retest tomorrow.

What i wanted to know, how long do i have to leave it to test to make sure it hasnt knocked me out of ketosis?

I remember once you said that you put coco on your porridge.. Do you think that's why you felt the need to eat? I quiet honestly don't think you're out of ketosis (fingers crossed) let us know....

I remember once you said that you put coco on your porridge.. Do you think that's why you felt the need to eat?

For some reason this tickled me - two seemingly unrelated things! Well done for having the guts to eat with your friends - I made the same choice last night, It's not easy, and you have to make good choices, which it sounds like you did, but sometimes it is the right thing to do for you.

I can't imagine any of that will throw you out of ketosis, so have a check this morning and see. The only thing would be if you are sensitive to citric acid. Some people are, some people aren't.

Stay happy, stay pink!

Glad to see this post as it's my father-in-law's birthday soon and I know there'll either be a dinner or lunch thing, and I was worried about coming out of ketosis. My CDC said to eat sensibly and I should be OK.

Diddums, try not to concentrate too much on the ketosis aspect of the diet otherwise you might subconsciously be giving yourself "permission" to cheat with low carb food which may lead to a very slippery slope. Any extras - low carb or not - contain extra calories and CD is first and foremost a VLCD. Try to stay focussed on sticking with the plan and the ketosis aspect will take care of itself.

It's not so much the meal I'm referring to - I know it was a planned decision - but I remember you posted recently about having a big bit of cheese, and I also remember the cocoa post too (maybe use a little CD choc shake instead then at least it's on plan). I doubt that any of these deviations will have massive consequences in themselves, but added together they can prevent your mind from getting in "the zone" so to speak so that the minute you have a not-so-good weigh in (we all have the odd week where we're disappointed) you might end up really struggling for a long time afterwards - I've seen it an awful lot on here. :(

Well done on your loss so far though :)

Last edited:
Glad to see this post as it's my father-in-law's birthday soon and I know there'll either be a dinner or lunch thing, and I was worried about coming out of ketosis. My CDC said to eat sensibly and I should be OK.

Hi, sorry our posts crossed, wasn't having a go at anyone's decision to eat, just that we need to be careful about lots of deviations in a short space of time, low carb or not. The "staying in ketosis" thing can lull some into a false sense of security about lots of picking being ok.

A plain chicken dinner will be SS+ at worst so you'll be fine. :)

Last edited:

I just had my fil 60th party this weekend, I stuck to chicken curry (tomato based) thats all! then I left the room whilst everyone was tucking in to the rest, very carb-ee;) and had a bar!

I lost 2 lb over the weekend:D

I thought it was going to be a sit down meal, and had told myself it's one night out of this journey, I got myself straight back into it after the bit of food

Just to let you know that it didn't take me out of ketosis.

Serena A, i understand what you are saying. And trust me i am in the 'zone' but i do understand how it can lead down a slippery slope. I am starting to do exercise this week as its week 3. So that will help. I will now stay 100% until goal weight which i expect to reach by my 22nd birthday at the end of June.

I lost 5.5lb last week (2nd WI), and i'm aiming for 4lb loss a week, so i'm happy with a 4lb loss this week :)

Thanks for the replies :)

Just out of interest, what difference will it make to you whether the sticks test positive or negative?

Lol i don't really know why. One of the comfort things i think so that i know i havent undone the last 2 weeks work. I've only tested twice (because of the meal) since starting SS, and i dont intend to keep testing as i will be staying 100% SS and therefore will not be anything to take me out of ketosis.

I'm trying the bars this week. Are there any that i should stay away from? flavourwise?

Lol i don't really know why. One of the comfort things i think so that i know i havent undone the last 2 weeks work.

Whether the sticks say beige or pink, you wont have undone 2 weeks work :)

If the sticks are beige, you may still be in ketosis anyway....but regardless, your calories would still be low enough not to do any damage in real terms.

Thanks KD, the test was still pink, so i'm happy. I did enjoy the evening but its slightly tinged by my feeling of failure because i didnt abstain from eating...even though i had decided with my CDC that i would eat something. I'm happy now as i've done today 100% and not had any problems or cravings, even when cooking for OH. Its strange but i love cooking, and was a bit depressed i wouldnt be able to cook. But ive discovered that i can cook nice meals for OH without picking or tasting any food :)

Back