Half-fat cheese?

Befanwi

Gold Member
I bought some half-fat cheddar in tescos yesterday.. I always use to 30% lighter feta in salads but this cheddar's new to me .. I'm planning on making myself a pea and leek risotto this evening and was fancied some cheese stirred through it (gotta love green's 2 hexss.. Cheese twice a day and alpen light bars!) and was wondering how well this half-fat stuff will melt through?

X

I think its often a case of trial and error. The reduced fat ones like low low and catherdral city lighter tend to taste good and melt well as they still have enough fat in them, but sometimes the lower fat ones won't melt as well - should still taste yummy though! I seem to remember from memory the aldi reduced fat cheese being good if you ever get the chance to pick one up. Alternatively a smaller portion of full fat parmesan packs a good flavour hit too!
Your risotto sounds lovely - enjoy!

I'd use fresh parmesan. 28g finely grated goes a long long way!
I wouldn't use cheddar in a risotto (unless it was a cheese risotto).
It does melt okay though because I've used it on top of a pasta bake and lasagne.

jaylou said:
I'd use fresh parmesan. 28g finely grated goes a long long way!
I wouldn't use cheddar in a risotto (unless it was a cheese risotto).
It does melt okay though because I've used it on top of a pasta bake and lasagne.

I thought parmesan, whenever I made risotto pre sw I would have used fresh parmesan.. But this recipe suggests cheddar.. Maybe it's to make it more gloopy or creamy I don't know.. Maybe I'll just use Parmesan anyway :) lol x

Back