Half Term and kids?

hchappyh

Silver Member
Anyone got any cheap ideas on what to do with the kids over the half term hols, that doesn't include food? I used to do loads of cooking with them, esp baking, but now I don't want to do that as I eat the yummy cakes we make! Also, we used to like going out for lunch or dinner as we never do it during term time and it's such a nice treat....don't want to do that though...so any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help..

xx

How old are your kids? Mine are 3 and 8 months.
We go to the park if it's nice weather.
We also go to Manchester museum - free and fantastic. Not sure where you are, but I'm sure there will be some museums nearby. Some are better for kids than others.
We also like garden centres. Mind you, we do like the cafes there, so not necessarily free, or diet friendly! But if you can resist that, mine likes to run round the plants, there's lots for the baby to look at and it generally gets us out of the house.
Our Ikea has a brilliant play area. It's in the cafe, but you can get a coffee or a soft drink, and get free refills. Ours now has loads of the little kitchen things, a train track, a room with loads of cushions and CBeebies on a TV, and another area with other stuff in it. My daughter could seriously spend ALL day in there. Seriously.
Feeding the ducks.
Making stuff - painting, sticking, glueing. Evie will stick anything to anything. Give her a pritt stick and she's happy. Sometimes I cut stuff out of magazines for her to stick, other times she makes cards with sequins, stickers etc etc. We buy stuff from The Range, and it's not too expensive. I also buy packs of that glittery confetti from card shops.
If the weather is fine, I'm planning on doing some hand painting outside (yes, I'm feeling brave). I'm going to get a roll of wall lining paper, roll it out, put some paint on paper plates, put them in old clothes, give them some old sponges, brushes and whatever, and just let them go mad. Yep, I'm even going to get the baby doing it.

How old are your kids? Mine are 3 and 8 months.
We go to the park if it's nice weather.
We also go to Manchester museum - free and fantastic. Not sure where you are, but I'm sure there will be some museums nearby. Some are better for kids than others.
We also like garden centres. Mind you, we do like the cafes there, so not necessarily free, or diet friendly! But if you can resist that, mine likes to run round the plants, there's lots for the baby to look at and it generally gets us out of the house.
Our Ikea has a brilliant play area. It's in the cafe, but you can get a coffee or a soft drink, and get free refills. Ours now has loads of the little kitchen things, a train track, a room with loads of cushions and CBeebies on a TV, and another area with other stuff in it. My daughter could seriously spend ALL day in there. Seriously.
Feeding the ducks.
Making stuff - painting, sticking, glueing. Evie will stick anything to anything. Give her a pritt stick and she's happy. Sometimes I cut stuff out of magazines for her to stick, other times she makes cards with sequins, stickers etc etc. We buy stuff from The Range, and it's not too expensive. I also buy packs of that glittery confetti from card shops.
If the weather is fine, I'm planning on doing some hand painting outside (yes, I'm feeling brave). I'm going to get a roll of wall lining paper, roll it out, put some paint on paper plates, put them in old clothes, give them some old sponges, brushes and whatever, and just let them go mad. Yep, I'm even going to get the baby doing it.

Great ideas! thank you :) mine are 15 months and almost 4 and they will love painting on backing paper in the garden...and I have some here too x

Craft projects are always great for younger children, and so many variations- you could get them decorating boxes/picture frames/folders, making masks, painting, collages, etc. How about making sock puppets?

If they like being involved in cooking, what about making your own play-dough? Cooking that you won't be tempted to eat, and then they can play with it afterwards :) (obviously age-dependent!)

Hi Everyone,
thanks for all the great ideas. My kids are 3 (boy) and 6 (girl). We do do loads of arts and crafts as my daughter loves making things....the problem is my son hates it! He is bored within a few mins and my daughter gets fed up on her own -she likes us all to do it together.. I do like the idea of making our own play dough....will have to give that a try. Otherwise, weather permitting it'll be the parks (again). As much as they love it, I get fed up there!

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

xx

There's also painting with water.
If I give Evie some water in a bucket and a paintbrush she'll happily paint the house, the block paving, the car - whatever for AGES!

Back