Half Ton Mum

the problem is as many who have more than 4-5 stone to loose you think i will never loose it or it will take me years? so imagine needing to loose 40-50 stone you would think your only option would be surgery. I thought it was very sad was shocked she had died. I know most obesity is down to the person but surely there comes a weight limit that the drs etc need to step in.

I think it is just very sad, she was pretty and not all sweaty looking like some, she kept herself so well. Amazing that she didnt have high blood pressure or diabetes. Maybe thats why the doctors didnt help.
I hope when i become a cc soon that i will be able to help and re assure people like her that there is a way the Cambridge way.
Its certainly a life changer and i wish i could have told her about this web site.

Hey, what makes you think she wasn't offered Cambridge or something similar? I'd be surprised if somewhere along the way she hadn't tried it. It sure works for all of us but its not the answer for everybody! She may have tried and failed, and dismissed it.

Hey, what makes you think she wasn't offered Cambridge or something similar? I'd be surprised if somewhere along the way she hadn't tried it. It sure works for all of us but its not the answer for everybody! She may have tried and failed, and dismissed it.

she was American, so I doubt she would have been offered a VLCD. Even so, yes, I expect she was offered something. She probably tried many of them too.

Her biggest problem was having that accident that confined her to bed. Along with having a 'feeder'.:(

A bariatric surgeon and a LL counsellor were just on BBC1, the surgeon said LL was a great plan, but the people going for surgery were a different category. As they become the sizes they are, their body reactions to food change due to chemicals in the brain etc... and they become more dependent on it, although this is an area which is still being researched, new information is coming through on it.

I just thought it was one of the most heartbreaking bits of tv I've ever seen. The daughter was so brave, so mature, so obviously the 'grown up' in the house. what an absolutely outstanding young person.
Food wise, the woman had a 'cook' who listed what she was eating; fairly alarming stuff. Whilst I am sure her metabolism was probably fairly shot, I am sure she would have shifted some weight on light food not burgers and cookies.
It was a tradgedy that she died after taking such a brave decision but I still think there must have been something else seriously wrong with her to have got to that weight. No one explored the possibility that she had some physical problems and no-one looked into whether she had some terrible incidence in her past that effected her so terribly. I felt like it was half a program telling half a story.

It really made me think though. What kind of life did that poor family have? Why did no-one intervene and help. Where were the social workers etc.. Surely someone could have stepped in before it got to that horrific stage. When the woman had the car accident and was in hospital she could have lost weight instead of gaining, with the right help. But no, she went in at 40 stone and gained whilst there and went up to 64 stones within 3 years. She must have seen doctors, nurses, physio's, why did no-one help her? That was a terrible existence for her and yes, I know in part at least, she did it to herself but surely someone could have saved her?

Back