Ham and Chicken slices

Rosie134

Can anyone tell me what ham and chicken slices I can actually eat on Slimming World? I found out that what I was eating to snack on had syns and I'm unsure now what I can and can't eat. I'm finding losing weight hard now because I have nothing cheap to snack on; fruit is too expensive to just eat whenever I want. Thanks.

The problem with cheaper meats is that they are cheap because they have been bulked out with other ingredients, which is why they have syns.

What were the things you used to eat? If you look at the ingredients list you will probably find starches and other fillers.

Plain sliced chicken and ham, with no additives, is free. But it isn't cheap.

If you find fruit too expensive for snacks, what about vegetables? Carrots are cheap, and nice cut into little sticks.

Can anyone tell me what ham and chicken slices I can actually eat on Slimming World? I found out that what I was eating to snack on had syns and I'm unsure now what I can and can't eat. I'm finding losing weight hard now because I have nothing cheap to snack on; fruit is too expensive to just eat whenever I want. Thanks.

It's usually the reformed ham/chicken that's synned. they usually have added water, sugar and additives. Just check the labels before buying and it will say if they are made using reformed meat. I don't know what ones are synned or not so someone else will have to help you with that one x

I think I remember from a previous posting that you had been having chicken roll, thinking it was chicken (sorry if I have got this wrong).

Just as an example, Sainsbury's chicken roll ingredients are:

Chicken (61%), Chicken Skin, Water, Pea Starch, Salt, Lactose (Cows' Milk), Cows' Milk Powder, Stabilisers: Triphosphates; Natural Flavourings.

Something which is only 61% chicken and has all those other things to bulk it out is never going to be free food. Chicken skin and milk powder and pea starch are cheap ingredients which is why chicken roll is cheap.

Check out the ingredients lists and look for something which is 100% meat, or near enough (there may be some water added). But real meat is never going to be cheap.

I don't syn my cold meat either :/ I snack on it in the evening rather than having chocolate etc and so far I've been losing. Just looked it up on the syn calculator. I am doing Extra Easy.....thank God I was having a mini meltdown there :p

Cooked Sandwich Ham, chilled , per 100g Free Free 5

Last edited:
Yep, that was me with my awful awful chicken roll haha. It's too bad that none of the good stuff is cheap; I do believe I will have to start buying carrot sticks again, I used to love those to munch on. They are free right? Or do I have to do it the long way?

I think if it isn't affecting your losses then you'll be fine, but for people who are getting slow losses or gains then it might be worth looking at.

Back