ham!!

jet1968

RIP dan !
hi ham has to be less than 5% !!

i have fancied some ham for a while and im still unsure of which sort to buy

i picked up some ham from aldi which was french ham (torchon)
was nice but im unsure wether this is suitable !!

in the book it says lean ham between 2-4% fat

so forgive my maths if they're wrong

no more than 4g of fat per 100g?

watch the salt contents though - could encourage water retention

hopefully others in the know will confirm this or not :)

I don't eat ham I'm afraid x

I have a small amount of ham, I buy the Tulip brand which is about 3-4% I think , the pack has 14 slices in it and lasts all week, the kids eat it sometimes too, I put it in quiches with a spoon of cottage cheese

sarah and cathy ur rite with the % !! i think i need to read the book again !!!!!!!

Jet - I don't read the book - I just flip to the index for the appropriate word when people/I have a question raised :)

I haven't done more than skim read the appropriate sections for me.

If there's no fat or rind and the ham is decent quality then it should be OK. I bought rind and fat-free ham from Lidl the other day, it was OK taste-wise (and is 3% fat) and much cheaper than the supermarket one, so I'll be sticking to that now (although I found it a bit salty, but I don't have it every day so no probs). The smoked salmon and crabsticks from there are fine too and the salmon especially is a real bargain.

i eat it all the time because its got to be better than bacon :)

I am surprised that here champagne ham and honey ham are the 97% fat free ones, weird

ah but % fat free doesn't necessary mean "sugar free" (ref. honey ham). It's always worth reading the labels as so many "fat free" or low percentage fat things are then improved with 'ose's... any of them aren't ok for strict dukaners!

and these sneaky industrial foodies will do anything to dupe us dieters... using different words... making the type pitch so small I need a magnifying glass!!

jo hunny have u heard of the torchon ham before !!!!!!!!

do u see it in french supermarkets

"Torchon" in French literally means "tea towel"... and I wasn't sure why ham would be "tea towel ham", yet it's definitely a name I recognise... Which brand is your ham? Fleury Michon makes one here which, if in England, seems ok but by the French rules wouldn't be ok!

Some do seem to be eating ham without problem, but as many have said, watch the salt content!

Is it not boiled/cooked wrapped in a cloth? That's what I always understood. Like a clootie dumpling? (google clootie dumpling if you have no idea what I'm on about!)

Yes, when looking at "jambon torchon" in French google, they talk of it being wrapped in a tea towel... (but I fail to see what that adds to the end product?)

Stops any nasties from the water coating the ham, maybe?

hmm... interesting... I'm not sure I'd want to donate one of my tea towels either!!

"Torchon" in French literally means "tea towel"... and I wasn't sure why ham would be "tea towel ham", yet it's definitely a name I recognise... Which brand is your ham? Fleury Michon makes one here which, if in England, seems ok but by the French rules wouldn't be ok!

Some do seem to be eating ham without problem, but as many have said, watch the salt content!

i buy it in aldi ,i know its ham cooked in a muslin i will look for wot make it is !!! i cant remember !!!

Is it not boiled/cooked wrapped in a cloth? That's what I always understood. Like a clootie dumpling? (google clootie dumpling if you have no idea what I'm on about!)

i absolutly love clootie dumpling lol !!!

how go we work out the % of ham(food in general) ? so i know for future ref lol

Back