Hands up if you hate the current Weight Watchers advert

Think we might see the wife in the next ad where she is looking ten years younger and slim packing her bags and running off to her new life:D

Love Mini xxx

Which wouldn't be a brilliant message either! I can't beleive WW were daft enough to sanction this ad; it neither inspires or excites, it just irritates and makes you fancy a sandwich (or is that just me?).
Interesting to see if they do withdraw it as I am sure they will get a shedload of complaints. The overall message is you can only be truly happy, fulfilled and desirable and worth knowing if you lose weight and become slim. Sorry, not buying into it!

student3.gif

Ack. Anyone else feel the same?

WOW!

I was going to start a thread on this but thought I would be the only one who hated it!

I can't bare it. Apparently if you're fat:

1) it takes TWICE as long to wax legs - what a load of tripe
2) you're incapable of looking nice

Oh - so on top of everything else, we're now supposed to care what overweight, middle-aged, aesthetically challenged MALE neighbours are 'noticing' about us?

LOL!

LOL!

and

LOL! again

I think you've just hit the nail squarely on the head. I have a feeling that's why it bothers me so much.

I'm also really bothered by the fact that it would hardly affect the time taken to do the waxing (it's not as if she has magically lost half her body hair, or maybe she has and that's why they won't show her on camera), so the beautician's comment is really rather insulting.

Also, if I think about it, if my beautician ever said anything like that about me I'd be tempted to slap her. I'd certainly never go back to the salon. a) it's a remarkably personal comment to make considering that the relationship between beautician and client is strictly a business one, and b) it's just plain bitchy.

Hi Kati -

I agree with both you and Dizzy. I'm wondering where this magical woman is. I really despise the ad.

I would never go to WW on account of thsi advert. How insulting and patronising.

The Slim Fast ad is a little better - it shows a real woman, albeit she's still clearly overweight. However she demonstrates her new zest for life and what losing weight has done for her and NOT her; husband, neighbours, beautician and cat's father!

Wait! I've figured it out! They're talking about her in the past tense because when she lost the weight she improved her self esteem and confidence sufficiently to escape forever from horrible Hockley Rise and its horrible judgemental inhabitants and moved to...oh, I dunno, some other advert. L'Oreal, perhaps, because she's worth it!

Kate, you are really funny!

Which wouldn't be a brilliant message either! I can't beleive WW were daft enough to sanction this ad; it neither inspires or excites, it just irritates and makes you fancy a sandwich (or is that just me?).
Interesting to see if they do withdraw it as I am sure they will get a shedload of complaints. The overall message is you can only be truly happy, fulfilled and desirable and worth knowing if you lose weight and become slim. Sorry, not buying into it!

Unfortunately in my experience, your opinion is the antithesis of consensus.

In part, I feel I have to lose weight BECAUSE I don't feel desirable and worth knowing.

Wait! I've figured it out! They're talking about her in the past tense because when she lost the weight she improved her self esteem and confidence sufficiently to escape forever from horrible Hockley Rise and its horrible judgemental inhabitants and moved to...oh, I dunno, some other advert. L'Oreal, perhaps, because she's worth it!

PMSL!!! :D :D Love it Kate! :D

Well the first time I saw this I thought it was a piss-take - sort of Little Britain style because I honestly didn't think a diet company would put that out to advertise their product...

then the penny dropped... :eek:

OMG - what a pile of cack!! This poor woman who we never even see is surrounded by people who rely on her weight to be happy it seems - even the bloody beautician who's getting paid to wax her!! And the pervy next door neighbour - what's that about?? - one of my neighbours
(female) remarked on how slim I'm looking these days but now I'm a bit paranoid about what some of the creepier male ones are thinking... :eek: I also didn't like the way he said it "As a man, I notice it".. what does that mean? To me it implies a sexual undertone - which he says and then looks straight at his wife - who is overweight too and the poor woman (who clearly is a big failure compared to the non-existent next-door neighbour) doesn't even get to tell him that "as a woman she's noticed the fine young fit plumber who comes over once a week to 'sort out her pipes'" - oh no, she just sort of smiles with embarrassment...

It's just so wrong on so many levels... :(

Absolutely PMSL!!! :D :D

Well the first time I saw this I thought it was a piss-take - sort of Little Britain style because I honestly didn't think a diet company would put that out to advertise their product...

then the penny dropped... :eek:

OMG - what a pile of cack!! This poor woman who we never even see is surrounded by people who rely on her weight to be happy it seems - even the bloody beautician who's getting paid to wax her!! And the pervy next door neighbour - what's that about?? - one of my neighbours
(female) remarked on how slim I'm looking these days but now I'm a bit paranoid about what some of the creepier male ones are thinking... :eek: I also didn't like the way he said it "As a man, I notice it".. what does that mean? To me it implies a sexual undertone - which he says and then looks straight at his wife - who is overweight too and the poor woman (who clearly is a big failure compared to the non-existent next-door neighbour) doesn't even get to tell him that "as a woman she's noticed the fine young fit plumber who comes over once a week to 'sort out her pipes'" - oh no, she just sort of smiles with embarrassment...

It's just so wrong on so many levels... :(

The more, very articulate opinions I see regarding this ad, the more I hate it. I went to my sister's last night and was talking to my brother in law about it and he said exactly the same ... as a bloke who isn't particularly overweight (but my sister is a bit) he found it insulting and patronising.

So it's not just us.

Exactly what market research did WW do to come up with this approach? I can't think of a single overweight person who would find it motivational or inspiring. Personally, I think they'll find their normal post-Christmas surge of new members will less than in previous years. Perhaps we should forward this thread to WW headquarters.

Incidentally, I think the Slimfast ad is great. I'm not a fan of the product but it's upbeat and the woman featured is 'normal'. I can't stand seeing a model size 10 who has obviously never been an ounce overweight used as a hook to suck us into a particular weight loss product (think 'Adios')

Adios is a fantastic example.

Has Rosemary Conley ever been overweight - wehn I say overweight I mean Obese, not 1 stone over her ideal weight.

In part, I feel I have to lose weight BECAUSE I don't feel desirable and worth knowing.

This is really really interesting to me. Why? Well, I spent at least 5 years of my life weighing 16 stone, and trying (and failing) to lose weight and get below 12.06 (which is the most I should weigh to have a healthy BMI). I focussed on it. I obsessed over it. I then discovered Lighter Life, and got down to 10.13. Here's the interesting bit. Was I happier? NO!!!! I felt very very uncomfortable with all the attention, and hated people noticing that I had lost weight! It felt so bizarre to me - all those people who didn't notice me before, or who had become used to me being the 'fat funny one', were all over me! It all felt so insincere! Also, as I had achieved a goal that had filled up so much of my brain, my life suddenly felt empty.

I have now gained back some of that weight. I still don't feel happy, and am working towards 11.07 using WLR and regular exercise. But, my feelings this time have nothing to do with other people, because no one has really noticed that I've gained weight!

I was going to go on (and on) to say lots of other things, but I think that's better on my thread. Just wanted to share my musings!

You can all wake up now! I've finished!!

Uh? Please finish off. You ended your post in it's prime!

I think RC was somewhere around 13st or so and had some medical condition (I think it was gall stones or something) so she had to adjust her diet.

If I remember rightly, she did some sort of nutritional course and devised her own diet plan involving low fat. Apparantly, this helped with her condition but she also found she was losing weight. And mainly from her hips and thighs (that's why it started as the RC Hip & Thigh diet)

She then went onto starting her own little 'club' in her home with a small group of friends and it grew from there. This was about 20 years ago.

Since then, the diet has been 'tweaked' a bit and is not only low fat but low GI ... this suits my insulin resistance (how many people have this and don't even know?) as refined carbs are converted straight into belly-fat on me.

Anyway, it might just be the fresh approach I need to give my motivation the kick-start it needs to complete the journey. :)

Actually I too was extremely miserable overweight and certainly didn't feel desirable either, just downright depressed and getting to the stage where I was avoiding going out or even getting dressed - but the last thing I needed was a bloody diet company implying that that's what everyone else was thinking too! It would just make me eat more and sink further and further into depression to be honest - all it took was a nasty comment from some idiotic passing white-van man to make me feel like I was useless and may as well eat myself to death - after all who'd care!

If they focus on the benefits for me - sod everyone else I'd be much more inclined to go for it.

Ha!!! This cold is messing with my brain! I neglected to get to my point didn't I?!!! Which was - losing weight WILL make some people think you are more desirable or worth knowing. But these won't necessarily be people that you desire or want to know! I have found that as I have maintained a normal body size, you get to learn who is really interested in you, and who is only bothered about image.

The stuff I was going to go on to say, was about how I'm going to make sure that i don't feel all empty again when I reach my goal. Firstly, this goal is one I have set for me, and one that I know I can achieve, albeit over a longer period of time. The urgency is no longer here, just the necessity. The original goal (the 12.06 goal) was one set for me by my Doctor. There wasn't much of me in that goal. So when I went past it, and continued to get thinner and thinner, I kinda felt like a train out of control! I hadn't thought about whether it was what I wanted!

Now I know what being 11.07 means in terms of clothing sizes, and my fitness goals. I also know that even if I don't lose another pound, my body is capable of doing a heck of a lot more than it was this time last year (eg I did a charity bike ride in November and rode 400K across India in 5 days). Also, I know now that reaching that magic number doesn't mean that life ends and that I stop setting and achieving goals! The goals continue, they have to, otherwise you end up slowly regaining and eventually ending up where you started. They are just different goals, eg run a 10K in under an hour, raise enough cash and complete another charity bike ride in 2008, save up enough to go travelling, be able to bench press 20 kg, progress up to level 2 in pilates, get a belt at kickboxing (these are goals of mine, things I would like to achieve).

I learned a valuable lesson that life does not stop just because your scales say that magic number. In fact, it has only just started!

Back