Hands up if you hate the current Weight Watchers advert

I also didn't like the way he said it "As a man, I notice it".. what does that mean?

I've said it before and I'll say it again :D

He notices that she's happy. That is what it's about. Some of them are talking about her being miserable, and now she's happy again, and that is what they notice. The beautician is still out of order though :mad:

I don't like it because if you don't listen carefully, it's easy to think the man is relieved he has a slim wife for cosmetic reasons.

That is the reason I hate it. It's just not clear.

That isn't what WW are saying though and that is how they will defend their advert

But if they need to defend it, then they have got it wrong! It's that simple - adverts are so 'short' they need to be self-explanatory - methinks it's back to the drawing board for WW!

You'll have to forgive me, cos I don't have a telly so I'm only going on what I've been able to find online - is the Slimfast ad you're talking about the one with the lady in a red top and denim skirt who's all sexy and fab and dancing around next to life size Slimfast products? If so, that's a fab ad.

He notices that she's happy. That is what it's about. Some of them are talking about her being miserable, and now she's happy again, and that is what they notice. The beautician is still out of order though :mad:

(I'm talking about the neighbour here - not the husband!) So why does he need to say "as a man" and then apologise to his wife. What has being a man got to do with noticing someone's happiness? Why not say " I notice she's much happier". They may have intended to imply that he notices that she's happier, but adding that in about "as a man" and the apology to his wife - like he's done something wrong - no wife would expect an apology if her husband noticed someone else was happy - but they might if it had sexual undertones - well it reads very differently to me.

(I'm talking about the neighbour here - not the husband!) So why does he need to say "as a man" and then apologise to his wife. What has being a man got to do with noticing someone's happiness? Why not say " I notice she's much happier". They may have intended to imply that he notices that she's happier, but adding that in about "as a man" and the apology to his wife does not give that impression to me!!

Totally agree - I think the neighbour is talking about noticing her weight loss, not how happy she is. It's the apology to his wife that gives it away!

I've said it before and I'll say it again :D

I don't agree! Why would he add 'as a man'? Surely both men and women notice that people are happy, and it is acceptable to do so! Therefore you do not need to qualify the statement by adding 'as a man'. I think he's blatantly commenting on her physical appearance, especially as he goes on to apologise to his wife!

But if they need to defend it, then they have got it wrong! It's that simple - adverts are so 'short' they need to be self-explanatory - methinks it's back to the drawing board for WW!

I totally agree. But it's no good arguing the point that WW is saying the husband is happier as his wife is cosmetically improved.

Its about how badly the advert has been produced....something WW should know better.

It's interesting to see what WW members have to say about the advert. Most look on it from a completely different angle. I'll quote

Post 1 It features a proper looking ww member not a model.
Post 2 The ads before had models? They weren't skinny ones though...
Post 3 I'm not sure if they were model but the women in the new one looks like a typical ww member. (Hope I don't get linched now)
Post 4 Haven't see the new ad yet?
Post 5 I was outraged!
The advert I saw featured a man saying that he now had his wife back since she lost weight!
She was still the same bloody woman! I Grrrrrr'd at that a lot LOL

Post 6 He said his wife wasn't happy being overweight and got depressed about it but now she's happy again. So his old wife IS back. It wasn't that he thought she was a fat lump.
Post 7 The US is using Jenny McCarthy as a spokesperson now who had gained a lot of weight while pregnant- she's famous for being on an MTV show and also posed in Playboy- much different than the usual spokesperson but I think they're trying to get younger people to join! She's also engaged to Jim Carrey now.

And there the conversation ground to a halt.:confused:

Oh my word! I thought it was just me!!! :eek: Not only is the husband annoying (and an extremely patronising bar steward) ....he's not exactly blessed in any department really is he?? ..... but also the fact that you never actually get to see this "success story"!

Drives me round the flaming bend! :(

me too !!!!:mad:

I don't agree! Why would he add 'as a man'? Surely both men and women notice that people are happy, and it is acceptable to do so! Therefore you do not need to qualify the statement by adding 'as a man'. I think he's blatantly commenting on her physical appearance, especially as he goes on to apologise to his wife!

Don't agree with me? I'll get my whip out :D

I've taken it exactly the same way as you :D My point is how WW will defend themselves, not me!

I think the way he says 'as a man' definately implies a sexual undertone...otherwise no need to apologise to wifey!

I just think the whole thing is all wrong....anyway, has anyone seen this mystery woman?????Are we meant to be glued to our screens until they show her, or are we meant to think 'hey thats me' and go sign up to WW so we can see the happy woman emerging?!! I get confuzzled when I'm not in work!

I think we may have crossed wires. I'm not saying that the husband of the woman who has lost weight is happier that she's cosmetically improved. (Is anyone else??) I'm saying that their neighbour is saying that. With an apology to his wife - who is then, in my analysis, set up as a failure for failing to do the same for her husband!

Her own family seem to suggest she was a miserable cow whilst fat and now she's much happier - I agree with that, but they also seem to measure their own happiness by her weight loss/gain which I think is a blatant ploy to guilt-trip women. Time after time I see posts from people who feel bad about not being able to play with their kids as much as they want etc because of their weight. Advertisers know this is a concern of dieters and are shamelessly playing on it in this advert. To my mind the woman's happiness or lack of it is the least pervasive message from this advert - so you're right - if that's what they're trying to achieve (which personally I doubt) they're not doing a great job.

BTW.. I've been posting about this on the WWers site too where there are some very similar views

PMSL at the comments by Marri1982!!! :D

Yes -she's hilarious. I've been posting on there for quite some time now and have met loads of the other posters on there (including Marri who is quite a character!). We have loads of meets (next one in two weeks) and get to travel all over the place!! I've been keeping them up to date on my LL journey and to be fair WWers hasn't chucked me off the site!!

Nope. I'm agreeing with you!;)

Lovely. :) Must have just misunderstood your posts somehow.
Actually it was this one which confused me. Specifically this statement "He notices that she's happy. That is what it's about."
I don't think that's what it's about at all - or even intended to be about. I think it's blatantly NOT about that.

Anyway, I think we're basically all singing from the same songbook!

Does anyone actually like it??

If they were looking to get it noticed they've done well mind!!

Last edited:
Lovely. :) Must have just misunderstood your posts somehow.

Actually it was this one which confused me.

What? Me saying that WW will defend themselves this way? I bet they do. Okay, so perhaps we will have to disagree on that. I just think that is what they will say. It doesn't mean I agree, but I really can't imagine they will think "whoops how silly of us"

I have SO enjoyed reading this thread.

Dom 1979 - I was fascinated by your comments about not being any happier slim than overweight. I've never been slim before (not that I remember) but have strived towards this goal for 30 years.

I'm not far away from it just now but am suddenly aware that it may not be all it's cracked up to be! I think I speak for most people then I say that I have put off doing something "until I have lost weight".

Interestingly, we were talking at our LL meeting recently and one lady mentioned that she and her husband had never taken the opportunity to paraglide when on holiday, because SHE felt she was too overweight. Now she is slim, her husband mentioned to her that they could now do it when next on holiday. She realised that she didn't really want to do it anyway!

What things have I put off doing "until I am slim" that I may have no intention of doing or trying to achieve anyway? What about you?

Have I been hiding behind the fat to avoid trying something new? It has been a good excuse so far, but maybe I will have to face some unpleasant truths soon. Hmmm....

The other thing Dom1979 is your mentioning the Indian cycle ride - I want to hear more about your experience. Can you do a 'potted history' of your experiences please. It sound amazing!

Back