Happy Burns night!

My family are having the whole haggis, neeps & tatties dinner tonight but as I'm vegetarian I'll be celebrating burns night with a baked potato & quorn bolognaises :)

I believe you can get vegetarian haggis nowadays, which I will have to locate and try.

I love Cranachan! We had a Scottish themed party for my mother in laws 80th last year which we staged like a Burns night although as well as the Haggis I did a steak and black pudding pie, which was amazing, and Cranachan for afters.

Some days I briefly regret going veggie! Happy Burns Night!

Mmmm Cranachan..:drool:

I hate you all. :(

I was happy in my blissful English ignorance... and then I googled cranachan... Damn you google for telling me of the loveliness!!!

Now I'm going to have to spend the rest of the afternoon trying to work out a low syn alternative!!!!.... I suppose the oats could be a hexb... ;)

Yup, can deffo get vegetarian haggis. Not tried it, but mum bought it by accident, much to all of our amusement. I miss all the Scottish (and some not so scottish!) things we used to have at my nana and papas - fried fruit pudding, square sausage, butchers links, black pudding, fried leftover potatoes, tablet (it simply isn't the same down here), Barr lemonade in glass bottles, haggis, mince and tatties, and ANYTHING in a floured bap. I swerved the deep fried pizza though......
Not having a Scottish supper myself, but hope you all enjoy yours! Your pie MLM brings back memories of black pudding potato croquettes I made once - super yum!

Last edited:
I would love to be having haggis neeps and tatties tonight as a post WI treat, but my (English) OH doesn't like haggis or neeps so I fear it would be wasted (or I'd eat my own body weight's worth!)

Love cranachan too... Love all things Scottish... lol xx

Happy burns night everyone!!!!!!! tinytootz that could have been me writing that post I miss aaaaaall that stuff too even the deep fried pizza :p

I seen veggie haggis in sainburys today :) I was gonna get a non veggie one but didn't know what syns it would be so went for sw burgers ingredients instead lol. This was my eldests due date but he was 6 days early ><

Argh Tablet! I made a massive one of those too. So good... It really is a good job I only visit with my Scottish relatives now and again. Goes off for a wee cry due to total lack of tablet. I love fruit pudding too. Might have to try and create a veggie version of that too. I'm sure if I used veggie suet I could make a passable variation.

I know, the tablet down here just doesn't cut it. Mum brought me some back last time she was up - I had the last teeny bit yesterday :cry:

I was going to have haggis tonight but almost fainted in tesco when I worked out the syns! :(

I had to cook, serve and watch the family ate their haggis neeps and tatties whilst I gluggled down a slimfast shake. I didn't even think about Burns night when I started the shakes :(

:D

130g Haggis, heaps of neeps, one dollop of mashed tatties, and cabbage & carrot on the side. 9 syns and very glad my Blokey is Scottish!

Back