Has anybody lost considerable weight doing 5:2??

ticktock

Hi,

I have been doing Slimmingworld since 1st Jan and have lost 11lb to date, quite pleased but I do have a lot to lose and got quite demotivated that I would stick to diet religiously and STS or lose 1/2lb when others wouldn't stick to it at all and lose 3-4lb! one woman my size lost 9lb in first wk! I decided to leave group and do it alone so wouldnt get competitively jelous!!

Anyway, decided to try my best to stick to SW 5 days and have 2 500cal days to see if that will speed up weight loss a little...I have a holiday booked in 20wks time! Have had a fortnight of eating out, takeaways, chocolate etc...all the things I hadnt eaten since last year, but still being kinda sensible and 2 500cal days. But started 'properly' Sunday...wk so far and planned:

Sunday 500cals
Monday SW + 15syns
Tuesday SW + 22syns (oops)
Wed Will be 500 cals
Thur-Sat SW with cpl of meals out..

Question is...do any of you have wks similar to my plans and have you lost weight on it?? I have looked a couple of threads and full of great useful info but when I look at peoples stats they havent really lost any weight..dont know whether its because most of us just starting and new to 5:2 or whether the diet seems to maintain weight rather than lose??
Sorry for long post!! xx

I lost all of my weight with SW - about 7lbs a month (four stone in total). I'm just doing 5:2 to shed a few pounds that I put on over christmas and haven't been able to shift. I also want to use it to maintain. I think the problem with 5:2 is that it's relatively new - so you're not going to meet lots of people who have lost masses on it. It might be worth looking at other intermittent fasting diets like JUDDD to see how much seasoned followers have lost.

Hi

I started doing 5:2 Sunday (well a version of it anyway) I ate sensibly within 1500 cals per day. Tues and wed I did no carbs and ate 744cals Tuesday and 852 wed (and I did 45 mins of exercise.

I was well pleased when I got on the scaqles this morning at work to find I had lost 4.5 lbs. now I know I am not gooing to get this every week but it is a good start!.

I was too doing SW and like you evryone else wasw losing 4 - 6 lbs and then saying oo dont know how I had chinese and cake this week. Where as I had really tried to follow the rules lost a lb!.

I personally feel I can do this diet, but it is remebering not to bing eat on the 5 days just eating sensibly.

Good luck

Kats

Hi, if you eat 500 cals for two days you create a deficit of 3000 cals to lose around a lb a week. If you stick to a doable 1500-1700 the other days you will lose maybe 2lbs a week, still a respectable loss. But if you use up the 3000 cals on your non-fast days then yes you will be maintaining. It's the small catch, yes you can eat what you like on the non fast days.....'within reason' but it really isn't that strict and I find you can have a drink and eat well at the weekends and still lose.

Hope I can lose 1-2lb per week! Xxx

Thanks for replies...I did 2 days at 450cals last wk, 2 rubbish eating days where I went out for curry, had chocolate etc! and 3 days healthy eating and lost 2lb whch I am pleased with! Normal week would maybe have 1 day where go out/takeaway but planning to stick to healthy eating/sw rules 5 days best I can. 1-2lb a wk would be great :eek:)

Think I might really like this way of eating! So nice not measuring out milk and banning foods and havent found the 500cal days as hard as I thought I would! I try not to eat until around 11-12 and make sure I save a few cals so if I am really hungry later on I can still have a hot choc or cupasoup if I need to. Do you have any tips of how to stretch cals/foods that you have found are good to have? I found that having 60cals 1/2 jar of beetroot really filled me up and was more satisfying than a small apple for same cals. x

Things that work for me are black coffee, diet coke and lots of water, but that results in lots of loo breaks. Leaving lunch as late as possible. Cherry toms with salt and pepper are good to snack, being as busy as poss on fast day helps it go quicker. an early night lol!! Zero Noodles if you can take them.

Thanks grotbags, I see you are from West Midlands too :eek:) I will have to find some of these zero noodles, worth a go lol. I have been having lots of coffee, coke, water and cupasoups, all the liquid definately helps fill you up doesnt it!!

Hi ticktock, I'm a Brummie, whereabouts are you? the tips are person specific, what works for one doesn't work for everyone. What I will say is, don't concentrate on fast days. It's just two days, there are five others where you are free from dieting. Just get through those two and you have cracked it. The zero noodles will fill you up if you feel hungry and keep you regular ;-)
Thanks grotbags, I see you are from West Midlands too :eek:) I will have to find some of these zero noodles, worth a go lol. I have been having lots of coffee, coke, water and cupasoups, all the liquid definately helps fill you up doesnt it!!

I'm Walsall so not far from Brum :eek:) definately struggle with not eating wrong foods on up days but am eating much less overall so hopefully this will work...slow and steady lol

ticktock said:
I'm Walsall so not far from Brum :eek:) definately struggle with not eating wrong foods on up days but am eating much less overall so hopefully this will work...slow and steady lol

I found the first couple of weeks I wanted to eat loads of naughty foods like bread etc, but now I stick to mainly healthy foods ( ignoring the fact I'm now munching choc covered coffee beans before 7am)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

hi

i lost to begin with on 5:2 but I fell into the trap of eating too much on the other days and this was my downfall. i know others it has worked for though

Good thing is its only two days a week so if i find i dont lose weight or cant control eating on up days i can just stop the two down days and carry on with healthy eating. Yesterday was terrible! Kfc, cakes, choc etc etc etc !! Find 500 cal days easier atm, planned what having today and not really hungry....wonder if 3 500cal days would be a bad thing?!

ticktock said:
Good thing is its only two days a week so if i find i dont lose weight or cant control eating on up days i can just stop the two down days and carry on with healthy eating. Yesterday was terrible! Kfc, cakes, choc etc etc etc !! Find 500 cal days easier atm, planned what having today and not really hungry....wonder if 3 500cal days would be a bad thing?!

Lots of people do 4:3 I think, I often do a sort of intermediate third day where I have 800-1000 cals, I did one yesterday where I fasted for the morning then aimed for 800 in the afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I might give an intermediate day of 800 cals a go, thanks for the idea, atm 500 days are sunday and wed i find this easier as i work sundays so can only eat what i bring and motivated to stick to it wed as i weigh on a thurs so to add 3rd day would have to friday and not sure hubby would like that!! Could cope having little in the day friday then normal family meal :0).

That sounds like a good idea, if I find my weight loss slowing I might do an 800 cal day. I've only done one week so far so I don't know yet how much weight I am likely to lose on an average week.

I have lost 20lbs doing the 4:3 version with having 300-400 cals on Mon, Wed and Fri and up to 2000 on the other days. I have a chippy (fish supper) every Saturday and chocolate on Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun. Into my 10th week now and loving this plan, don't feel the urge to binge or get really tired of having to be disciplined every single day as I don't feel I am missing out. :) My weight loss will slow as expected due to my underactive thyroid but as long as I am not gaining, I just have to be extra patient but this is a plan I can see me sticking to long term.

That's a brilliant loss Vixs. Well done!

Can I ask how you feel on a DD? I'd like to do three DDs on mon, weds and fri but I work in quite a brain taxing job, mon, tues and weds. I'm fine on Monday as I've eaten a load at the weekend but on my second DD last week (weds) I couldn't get my brain in gear. It felt so foggy. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to concentrate at work and I need to be able to!!

How do you feel on your DDs?

I feel absolutely fine on my DDs. I can go into work and last the whole day with only green tea and water and my body feels used to that now. I obviously get hunger pangs now and again but they always pass quite quickly. Friday night is my hardest time but I have the incentive of my weigh in the following morning so I dare not ruin it with being so close.

Back