Has anyone else tried the SW ketchup in this months mag?

I havent seen it hun - what is it?x

It looks nice and tasty but I haven't tried it, it looks too much faffing having to get a sterilised jar that seals! I'd probably try it if I had a few people coming round for a barbecue, then it would get used instead of going off.

Well its just ketchup but yea it is a lot of faffing around.
I may give it a go but again I havent got a sealed container so its all a bit crap really.
x

It looks nice but I think I'd rather just syn and have Heinz :p
I have made those chicken and mushroom pies out of the magazine and a couple of the curries in the free curry book though ! The curries were delicious ;)

Im gna try the mayo syn free..... can you send the recipe for the tom sauce?!x

Syn Free ketchup

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
2 x 400g chopped toms
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp English mustard
2 tsp ground white pepper
4 tbsp artificial sweetener
9floz/255ml red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic. Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Remove from the heat, season with salt and allow to cool. Blend the tomato mixture in a food processor until smooth. Sieve into a bowl.

3. transfer the ketchup into a sterilised sealable bottle or jar using a funnel. The ketchup will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.

HTH!

Hmmm, seems a lot of effort lol

Might be worth a shot tho :)
x

Thanks for the recipe.....made this when i first saw it and i liked it...mum wasnt keen but i love having it with chips and wedges! Doesnt taste completely like ketchup but is a nice free alternative :)

thats good to know i have asdas thank you

A much easier free version

I've been going to Slimming World since 28 December. I love the SW chips, but wanted a free substitute for ketchup.

I buy a jar of passata, and freeze it in ice cube trays. When I want some ketchup, I take a cube (or however many I want) out of the freezer (defrost in the microwave if I have not planned ahead). Then add a splash of vinegar and pinch of Candarel.

It's not exactly Heinz, but it's OK, and it's free as well as being fairly instant to make. You could also add onion or garlic or anything else you fancy to make it taste better.

Annie

Is this from the Nov / Dec issue which had the toffee apples etc? I made the ketchup and really didnt like it and I am the kind of gal that will eat anything. It was super runny and didn't taste right at all... I think if you really want to make it put a lot less cinnamon in than they recommend. But I won't be bothering again!!!

Back