Has anyone give up exercise in favour of just doing SW?

raquelscatt said:
I have posted many times on here and really have a decision to make this week.

I have been doing SW since September 2011 and have lost just 25.5lbs. (I have about 8 stone to lose.) At the same time I also joined the gym as I firmly believe in diet and exercise going hand in hand. Some weeks I have exercised, others I have not. The past 8 weeks I have exercised 3-4 times a week for 1 hour at a time and stuck to the SW EE plan, filling in a food diary which have been examined by my leader and are fine. I know how the plan works and have stuck to it since joining in September.

However, I cannot lose weight. I lose one week, gain the next. Weigh in today, I have lost a measly 1/2lb after again following the plan 100% and exercising. I have cried today, I am so fed up. Again, my leader has gone through my food diary and can find no reason with the food I eat why I shouldn't be losing weight. I have been to the doctors and am currenty awaiting the results of a blood test.

My leader always maintains that she did the whole gym thing and gave it up in favour of just following SW as she wasn't losing weight, so maybe I should too.

The inch loss isn't showing either yet but I love the exercise and feel great for it. :rolleyes:

I cannot keep doing both and need to ditch one in favor of the other.

I want to know what your thoughts are on this and if you have given up exercise in favour of SW. Maybe I need to lose some more weight and then maybe exercise again?? Oh I don't know, sorry for the ramble :confused:

I just welcome any comments - Please

Hello Rachel, why don't you try the original plan I can't do any exercise so my weight lose is slow so for a change I changed plans and it worked for me. Worth a try, good luck.

kazz43 said:
muscle weighs more than fat though doesn't it, that;s probably why, it depends what you're aiming for i suppose
swimming is one of the best ways to exercise your body, that and strength training, apparently

Muscle and fat weigh exactly the same. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle. The difference is muscle is denser so occupies less space for the same amount of weight. Regardless of this the facts are the more muscle mass you have the more effectively you will burn fat.

For those worried about exercising think about it like this. You can either not do it and continue to lose weight at the same pace or you can accept that for a few weeks you may have some odd numbers on the scale but overall you will be losing more fat and at a higher rate, ultimately getting to your goal weight/size quicker plus you will have all the added health benefits that exercise brings. I know which I would choose.

Muscle and fat weigh exactly the same. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle. The difference is muscle is denser so occupies less space for the same amount of weight. Regardless of this the facts are the more muscle mass you have the more effectively you will burn fat.

For those worried about exercising think about it like this. You can either not do it and continue to lose weight at the same pace or you can accept that for a few weeks you may have some odd numbers on the scale but overall you will be losing more fat and at a higher rate, ultimately getting to your goal weight/size quicker plus you will have all the added health benefits that exercise brings. I know which I would choose.

aha i stand corrected, thanks:) i couldnt remember where i read that!:)

As much as I would love to exersize, severe arthritis precludes more than gentle walking, and even then not very far. Thaat said I have still averaged 2.4lb loss every week since I started SW in January so I'm at a loss as to why your losses have been so low. I appreciate that we all lose weight at different rates, maybe you are just a slow loser, a pain but still worth persevering I think.

I myself cannot excercise at the moment as I have a incitional hernia which stops me even going a long walk which I loved doing :-( I've lost 3st 3.5lbs in 4 months on SW and a few of my fellow SW club members attend the gym and are struggling to lose weight at all, 1 girl gave up the gym and seen her weight loss hugely increase the following week. My C said the problem with some people who excercise and do SW do not eat enough to combat the energy spent working at the gym, they are not fueling their body properly, they think eating less and doing more excercise will help them which doesn't work. All I know is I would love to find a balance of doing both SW and excercise once I get my OP done :)

you dont need the gym to exercise, personally i prefer going for a long walk or a swim! i have a cross trainer at home which i should use more though lol,
best of luck for your op :) am sure you will soon get back on track:)

same here wegel, good post:)

healthy eating plan and regular exercise, can't be beaten:) am going to max up on exercise this week as im on hols but definitely have to fit more in during the week!!

Last edited:
My sister doesn't do a lot of exercise apart from walking-I exercise 5+ times a week. We're both the same height and same weight but I'm slightly smaller in trs and 2-3 sizes smaller on top!! Says it all really :)

This is really interesting as I'm struggling with small loses, but have started exercising lots since starting Sw. Food for thought.

However my body looks much much better for doing it x

Personally I think you'd be mad to give up on exercising, the health benefits are immense. With a large amount of weight to loose you are going to have to do some toning or be left with a lot of loose skin (unless you are very lucky).

Sorry if I sound harsh but I'm speaking from personal experience. I have lost 7.5 stone so far, 2 stone to go. I'm toning up quite well apart from my apron but the rest of my stomach is looking better. My weight loss has slowed down massively, since xmas I have only lost 19lbs but dropped over a dress size & seem to be ever shrinking.

Keep at it.

Of course a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle but what is meant by this is that a pound of fat has a larger area than a pound of muscle so looks more.

To the OP - you have 8 stone to lose so the changes in body shape that exercise will be helping with will be hidden at the moment but as the weight comes off you will not regret exercising when you start seeing toned muscles.

I hope your blood results help as it must be so disheartening for you

Ps - I recognise your user name from another site I go on (TC) - is it you?

I agree with previous posters!! Don't give up your exercise chick! You will see the results eventually :) I highly recommend the 30 day shred dvd! My body shape has changed loads!!xx

Back