Has anyone tried the Dukan Churros recipe?

louschu

I've just come across the recipe on the official site and would really like to try it, I absolutely love Churros but they are so naughty;) On reading the recipe it says to mix dried yeast with the other ingrediants but yeast is not listed:confused: I'm assuming it's 1 sachet of yeast for the recipe, suppose there's only one way to find out:D

I would imagine it would be one packet. Sounds lovely, I'm off to look at it too!

I'm also having trouble finding it again Chris:sigh: It was on the Dukan shop page but every time I go in there is a different random recipe

thanks lou - if we had a dislike button then I would have clicked on it - LOL - CD or someone might have better luck :)

oh they do look yum

Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, they are in the oven now and look nothing like churros. I knew they would be nothing like the picture as that is a picture of real deep fried churros, but they look like something that either the cat threw up or the dog left behind. They have also been cooking for 40 minutes and are still not cooked inside

What a disappointement - did they taste okay when finally cooked?

Another example of the them using a misleading photo to accompany the recipe I suspect!

They were vile and went straight in the bin, it's got me craving churros though, haven't had any since I was in Florida in October, think a visit to chiquitos is in order

Hmm from the recipe it superficially looks like something more akin to choux pastry, but no egg... I might have a go :) shame I usually eat all my oatbran at breakfast thus removing any opportunity for unplanned tastings!

Definitely a case of THE WRONG PICTURE though - how UNHELPFUL!

Do they think we are stupid? They are too fond of giving a recipe for a Dukan friendly option, whilst showing what is clearly a picture of the real thing!

Yes, that is no help at all. Might be better fulfillment to close one's eyes, imagine the aroma, feel the little crispy thing in one's fingers and lick the monitor.

Reminds me of the time I made Tofu French Fries. They were so gol dang freaking ugly I didn't even take them out of the oven let alone try one. My son, next morning needing the square baking pan, opened the oven door to all their disgustingness. Not one word as he spent the next ten minutes ungluing the dried on, stuck tofu frenchies so he could bake his fudge brownies. I'm sure I saw empathetic pity in his eyes.

They were pitiful.

SUCCESS - with adapted recipe! Churros / Eclairs /Choux pastry

Right,

I've just made them an am so excited that I had to share right now (munching one as I type) - photos coming later :)

I halved the recipe given - just in case it went wrong, but ADDED an EGG. I think ONE egg is probably enough to add to the full two-oatbran-portion mix, but I just added the lot. Here is the recipe I used:

1/2 cup of milk
1/4 ts baking powder
1 TB cornflour
2 TB oatbran
1 TB wheatbran
1 small pinch of salt
1/2 TB of splenda / other sweetener

+ cinnamon and splenda to sprinkle (I didn't)

Put milk in a pan and add all dry ingredients (not the egg!)[pic]. Mix well and then heat and cook the dough until really sticky. You have to keep stirring all the time as the cornflour will start thickening very quickly. Keep cooking on low heat for a few minutes [pic].
Take off the heat and leave to cool a little (you don't want scambled egg!)
Then beat in the egg a little at a time until well incorporated. As I said I used the whole egg but less might be enough.

Using your biggest star nozzle pipe onto a baking sheet [pic] - I got 5 strips with a food piping bag (not cake decorating type that's too small).

Bake at high temp 240C -fan assisted if poss- for ~15 minutes until risen & browned. They will be a little crunchy on the outside and a bit squishy on the inside. A bit like mini eclairs really [pic]

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sweetener if likes and eat warm, they lose crispyness on cooling.

Attachments

• 1 mix.jpg
    1 mix.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 2 cook.jpg
    2 cook.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 3 pipe.jpg
    3 pipe.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 4 baked.jpg
    4 baked.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
Anjuschka, as I was reading that I thought, hmmm, that's the method for cream puffs! Bet it could be adapted for that and filled with nf cream cheese and an egg. I've got a splendid Danish recipe that's only egg, cream cheese, lemon extract, baked in a dough, resulting in a quick, fantastic cheesecake Danish.

Never mind, what was i thinking, cream puffs are filled after baking.

Anxious to give these a go!

Anjuschka, as I was reading that I thought, hmmm, that's the method for cream puffs! Bet it could be adapted for that and filled with nf cream cheese and an egg. I've got a splendid Danish recipe that's only egg, cream cheese, lemon extract, baked in a dough, resulting in a quick, fantastic cheesecake Danish.

Never mind, what was i thinking, cream puffs are filled after baking.

Anxious to give these a go!

Exactly my thoughts - they were just missing the egg. Typical Dukan Website recipe quality: not tested and not checked plus a misleading picture. The original churros are actually made with water and butter and flour cooked as described but then you do add egg into the mix before deep-frying...

Back