Has SW stopped working for anybody?

broxi

ButtErFly
I'm struggling quite a bit. I'm doing Cambridge Diet and weight is falling off but it's hard. I did SW last year and absolutely loved it but the problem was it stopped working. I lost a stone and a half about a pound a week but then I didn't lose for about 3 or 4 months of completely sticking to the plan. Does anybody know why that is? Don't tell me I was cheating because I honestly honestly wasn't. I wrote down everyhting I ate and it was completely in the plan. You see if I could get a way round it I would love to go back on it in the future. Any advice will be appreciated.

arr hun i think i would be gutted if the diet stopped working for me and how you stuck at it for 3-4 months well done you you have more bottle then i do. sorry i cant help you too much as i myself have just joined slimming world after coming off lipotrim (same as cambridge and for a couple of weeks was on the cambridge) i hope someone can answer ya questions soon hun. did the slimming world councilor not help you with answers??

SW counsellor just probably thought I'd been cheating which I hadn't but she didn't know what to do. SW is a very enjoyable diet though and it was not hard to stick to. I bought all the cook books and basically made it my way of life so I was devastated when I stopped losing and I still had about 4 stone to lose. If I stick Cambridge and get to target Iwould want to go on SW to maintain but if anybody knew what caused that and I could fix it I would go back on it cos it was great.

I would go back to slimming world, at least you can eat real food, I expect because you've done something else in between you weight loss will continue with sw, good luck whatever you chose to do.

If you plateau like that on SW your consultant should put you on fast forward. Or at least reduced your syns.
You may have stopped losing for lots of reasons. Did you take your measurements? You may have been gaining muscle at a similar rate as loosing fat. Could of been a medication you were on, the list is endless.

xxx

Hiya, I did SW last year and the exact same thing happened to me. I lost a stone quite easily and then it just stopped... I didnt change anything about the way I was eating, and I didnt stop measuring HEs etc. It just simply stopped. And my then SW leader was worse than useless. When you start SW you are advised to keep your food diary for a few weeks, but I was so dedicated and so into it that I kept mine the entire time. I showed my leader my food diaries to see if she could figure it out, and she spotted that I had eaten a burger one day.... so she announced to the group "Oh look, this is proof that people who dont lose weight on this are lying about that they eat" and I said to her "look closer, its a Quorn Burger, which are FREE.... and she said well that must have been it anyway... WHAT.???? Honestly. I knew the SW plan better than she did. People used to come and ask me questions instead of her. I had no intention of ever coming of plan or sneaking food and not telling etc... I wanted it to work and I worked damn hard at it, making sure I did it right. But it just simply stopped working.
I have started SW again this year because I actually love this plan..... I lost 7lbs in my first week and nothing since. Not even an ounce. But Im going to stick at it for a few weeks more.... it HAS to work surely.....
We can support each other babes.... :D
SW counsellor just probably thought I'd been cheating which I hadn't but she didn't know what to do. SW is a very enjoyable diet though and it was not hard to stick to. I bought all the cook books and basically made it my way of life so I was devastated when I stopped losing and I still had about 4 stone to lose. If I stick Cambridge and get to target Iwould want to go on SW to maintain but if anybody knew what caused that and I could fix it I would go back on it cos it was great.

Hi Debby, that's the way my counsellor acted. I kept a diary too and she said things like that but I showed her them in the book that they were free and she didn't know. I also stopped going cos I knew she couldn't be bothered with me there every week and she found it embarrassing when I wasn't losing. When I said about the diet not working she said, it was me that wasn't working it. But, like you that wasn't true. I was totally obsessed with it, I bought all the cookery books and followed it to the letter. My husband lost a few stone without even knowing he was on the diet. It was just me who didn't. I'm on Cambridge just now but want to go back on SW to maintain or when a bit nearer my goal and I'd love to buddy up with you then. Thanks x

Debby, how long have you been on it again? Do you think maybe we need to reduce the portion size of our free food?

Yes I started gym and walked 4 miles every other day all during the time I wasn't losing. I was very careful with my syns too. The only thing I think I might have done wrong was I didn't reduce my portions of free food and still ate a lot but it was weird how all of a sudden it just stopped. This happened to me too on Atkins; I think my body gets wise. Very depressing though cos if that's the case then I'm destined to be fat forever! Oh dear!

Hmm... I must admit that although I am losing on SW, it is A LOT slower than I used to lose with WW. I, however, prefer SW so am trying to stick with it and see how it goes for the minute.

The problem for me with SW is that there is nothing really limiting your intake like when you are counting calories/points. You can eat as much free food as you like - and I tend to fill up on potatoes or pasta instead of veg (like I used to have to with WW).

When I have pointed everything I ate in a SW day, suprisingly I could be 100% on track for SW, but have eaten up to 30 WW points (my limit should be around 22). So that is a lot of extra points and clearly the reason why my losses are slower.

Possibly it is that you are eating too much of the free food? Perhaps also try having only 1 HExA instead of 2, as these are typically around 100 cals each.

Sorry can't offer more help than that - but GOOD LUCK and hope you get to the bottom of it!

XX

You can follow the plan but it's still possible to be eating over your calorie requirement. Yes bananas and grapes are free, but you can pack away alot of cals in no time at all. Same with having BIG baked potatoes, lots of pasta and mullerlights are 100 cals or so. It soon adds up! Thats why you should be eating lots of free veg and superspeed food. The other thing is, you need to eat enough! Did you vary your healthy extras, did you drink lots of water. Did you have all your syns? If you do loads of exercise then you need to be on at least 15 syns a day or your body will shut down to hold on to what it's got. It's a balancing act. I remember a programme years ago where they took a group of overweight people who couldn't lose weight on 1000cals /day and put them in a controlled environment and fed them 1500 cals /day. They all lost weight!
Why don't you start at SW and then do a diary on here, then we can all help you?

Last edited:
Hi Judi, that's a good idea about doing SW and getting help from forum because although I went to class it was mobbed and I didn't want to hog it. I think in all honesty I overloaded with free foods such as pasta and big baked potatoes - I just thought you could because they were free but I am only small person.
Thanks for help, I'm going to lose some more with CD and then I am going to give SW a try. I'm really looking forward to it cos I absolutely loved it - SW chips, SW Macaroni- delicious!

You could try success express that means you have to have more superfrees. Have a look at it in your starter pack i think it might do the trick if you have plataeud (SP!) but try the mormal plan or Extra easy first :)

i came off cd for medical reasons, lost more in 1st week at sw (4.5lb) than i did on 810 (3lb per week if lucky :eek:)
cd is not the be all and end all and has lots of side effects which - yes can be countered by having a lower bmi, but imho, still not worth it...
cd does not deal with your reasons for over eating, just removes them - not the same thing.
tc

Yes I know CD isn't the answer. It has rapid weight loss which is brilliant but I'm struggling a lot emotionally on diet. It plays havoc with my mind. My problem is that I have tried everything and they don't work for me. I lost a lot on Atkins before and it doesn't work anymore. And I adored SW so would love it to work. If I could lose more weight maybe on CD I would like to maintain on SW as the food is my taste exactly. I just probably ate too much of it. I'm also worried that CD has wrecked my metabolism further- oh it's so complicated; I just wish I was a thin person and didn't have to worry about all this!

Broxi i just thought have you thought maybe your body is happy where it is and that is your ideal weight to be honest i am worried that is what my body says as i was losring on lipotrim/cambridge and i came off for 1 week as i was ill and i went staright back up the 11stone 8 what i finished lipotrim on last year as lipotrim stopped for me which im worried i wont lose on here as body didnt seem to want to get below that weight and if it did it bounced straight back up so i was just throwing money down the drain on cambridge and lipotrim. what weight do you want to get too hun??

Hiya, I did SW last year and the exact same thing happened to me. I lost a stone quite easily and then it just stopped... I didnt change anything about the way I was eating, and I didnt stop measuring HEs etc. It just simply stopped. And my then SW leader was worse than useless. When you start SW you are advised to keep your food diary for a few weeks, but I was so dedicated and so into it that I kept mine the entire time. I showed my leader my food diaries to see if she could figure it out, and she spotted that I had eaten a burger one day.... so she announced to the group "Oh look, this is proof that people who dont lose weight on this are lying about that they eat" and I said to her "look closer, its a Quorn Burger, which are FREE.... and she said well that must have been it anyway... WHAT.???? Honestly. I knew the SW plan better than she did. People used to come and ask me questions instead of her. I had no intention of ever coming of plan or sneaking food and not telling etc... I wanted it to work and I worked damn hard at it, making sure I did it right. But it just simply stopped working.
I have started SW again this year because I actually love this plan..... I lost 7lbs in my first week and nothing since. Not even an ounce. But Im going to stick at it for a few weeks more.... it HAS to work surely.....
We can support each other babes.... :D

I think I had the same problem last time and I am dreading that it might happen again this time. Lost 5 lbs last Monday my first weigh in since starting but I am dreading tomorrow as its not looking good :cry:

I'm not a fan on VLC diets, but that's just personal opinion. Are you all eating enough?! Our bodies need calories to just lie in bed and do nothing, just to keep your hearts beating, lungs breathing and brain ticking, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything! Have you tried any sort of diet that doesn't cut out any food groups and has sufficient calories? It may well kick start your weight loss :)

Broxi i just thought have you thought maybe your body is happy where it is and that is your ideal weight to be honest i am worried that is what my body says as i was losring on lipotrim/cambridge and i came off for 1 week as i was ill and i went staright back up the 11stone 8 what i finished lipotrim on last year as lipotrim stopped for me which im worried i wont lose on here as body didnt seem to want to get below that weight and if it did it bounced straight back up so i was just throwing money down the drain on cambridge and lipotrim. what weight do you want to get too hun??

I can't see my body thinking 11st 10lb is my ideal weight - it's awfully stupid then! I'm 5' 1'' and when I was young I was under 8st and weight charts agree with that. I'm not even looking to be too thin now though. I'd be very happy to get to 9st 7lb and believe you me I have quite a tummy at that! If SW worked for me, supposing it was a pound a month I'd happily stick to it. BTW, sorry everyone to be such a moan but I just get very down about the whole thing. Think I will try it again though and stick to the superfree foods.

Back