Have you ever taken 'diet aid' pills?

Phentermine - as per diethylpropion

Ooooof - i sourced some of these bad boys years ago and they sent me half mental. I was like a paranoid schitzophrenic and felt 'high' all of the time on these. Not good!

I also stupidly got some Rimonobrant (Acomplia) off the internet from India and they are used in smoking cessitation also. I think they have only just been licenced by NICE in the UK because they have been known to send people into a manic depression with suicidal thoughts.

I took them because they were supposed to combat the munchies you get after smoking cannabis. They worked but made me really depressed, i only took them for 1 week and then binned the rest.

I know what you mean gymclasshero, these two tablets in particular. I remember when my ds was going out to play with his friends i was so paranoid, i just used to pace the house the whole time he was out. I was a paranoid wreck!!

I took reductil for a couple of months at the start of the year, they did help me lose a bit but I found the whole suppressed appetite thing didn't help me to eat properly (hmm...not hungry what shall I have for dinner? Ben and Jerry!!). The dizziness and headaches were ridiculous so I knew I had to stop. Sadly the dizziness took another 4 months to stop (I kid you not!).

Never again. I'm sticking with real food and hope to learn that it is my friend and not my enemy!

After WI the other day, I went into the chemist. I wanted to talk about Alli. I know I'm not eligible for it, and it's got mixed results...but I just wanted to talk about it with someone vaguely 'medical'. I wasn't really considering taking it but I was curious.

Anyway, after a long discussion with the pharmacist, he established alli wouldn't be suitable for me anyway (I knew that!) mainly because I am already on a low-fat diet. But (and this is the point I'm getting round to!) what he did recommend was another diet pill.
I was really surprised that a pharmacist would recommend a diet pill - he was more like a salesman! This tablet is a 'starch neutraliser' that is a concentrated extract of something in a white kidney bean, called Phase 2, and is natural and safe. Basically it's supposed to stop your body from producing the enzyme that digests carbs....stopping you from absorbing up to two thirds of the starch your body gets from the carbs you eat. He said he'd taken it himself (hmm?). I was very sceptical but I was in a low place, having gained last week. So I shelled out £15 for 90 of the suckers.

I have never taken any kind of diet tablet before. I have taken multivitamins and stuff, and once I took HRI water tablets when I was seriously bloated in the hot weather. Anyway...

I am currently taking one tablet 10 mins before a meal that's got carbs in it. I haven't changed my SW diet in any other way. If you're interested, I'll report results in my diary. To be honest I am not expecting it to do anything! But I will still take them....seeing as I've spent the money on them. Not noticed any side effects from them at all.

But aside from telling you what I'm taking, I just wanted to open up a discussion about diet pills/aids and the things you've tried to lose weight....

Firstly
1. Pharacists have a professional duty to give impartial and relevant advice to appropiate medication, so whatever you're taking he will be honest- or have a duty to be at least!

2. Watch out for the loose bowel movements! I've considered ali personally, however dont have the money right now, and have heard awful things about what its done to peoples bowel movements! I have IBS usually and it sounded like that ALL THE TIME :jelous:

Thank you Hellie for being brave enough to start this fascinating thread - I don't think that I would have had the courage. I'm really sorry that you find yourself in a 'low place' again, and do hope that the tablets might buck you up, whatever their effect.

If we're totally honest, I bet it's crossed all our minds at one time or another to at least THINK about trying one or other of these things, the wording in the adverts is SO persuasive. And to have a pharmacist suggest it...

Good Luck Hellie, do hope that you're soon 'back on track!'

Thanks Roz. I feel much better. I've been back on track all week and it was really my disappointment post wi that lead me to these tablets! Apart from Friday night's minor blip, I have eaten normlly and in the SW way, so I'm hoping that at least will show on the scales! X

Oh that's another one i have tried, hoodia from holland and barrett, didn't work either lol x

I used to have tenuate dospan tablets from the doctor, and jabs of something. Twas long ago :sigh:

They made me really fast and gave me a strong desire to do ironing at midnight :eek:

I also tried ayds (again long ago). They were yummy and I used to binge on them. Whoops :eek: Also did the hoodia thing. Didn't work but then I ate whether I was hungry or not.

has anyone tried laxatives?

Laxatives should only ever be used for constipation, when all over alternatives havn't worked after a week or so of not opening bowels, if you're constipated try excercise, increasing fibre intake, and plenty of fluids before considering laxatives. They should NEVER be considered as a way to loose weight

I have only used laxatives once but it wasn't to lose weight, i was in spain and on day 13 of my holiday i hadn't been to the loo and looked 7mths gone with bloating. I went to the pharmacist and was given a mild laxitive that works gradually.

I wouldn't ever use laxatives to try and lose weight xx

Laxatives? Oh my days! Do not use laxatives as a slimming aid!! Please please please please please!!! :mad:

NO, NO, NO i am just curious to see if anyone had and the side effects (i have a dark mind)

just..a real messed up bowel activity, blood in stools..loads of effects, and not nice! Its similar to bulimia, in that you dont LOOSE weight, but maintain

Back