Headaches :-(

I had a look at this website and it says that headaches can be a common symptom of iron deficiency:

Headaches and Iron Deficiency - Headache Expert (UK)

Could you be dehydrated, or stressed? Those can both cause headaches. Also, do you wear glasses/need your eyes tested? xx

I have iron, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid deficiency, headaches are very very typical.
As well as palpitations, breathlessness, mental fatigue, mouth ulcers, burning muscles on exertion, memory problems, fatigue.

You need a blood test to determine the cause, as even if you have anaemia there are different levels of shortage.

Go see your doctor!

Other causes of headache can be caffeine withdrawal; are you drinking less tea/coffee as a result of increasing water rich foods such as fruit and veg and drinking more water.
How often or for how long have you been taking pain relief? There's a reason why the packet tells you not to take for more than three days...overuse causes headache.
Have you increased you exercise? Could you be tense in your neck muscles? Try some relaxation.

Shirleen said:
I have iron, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid deficiency, headaches are very very typical.
As well as palpitations, breathlessness, mental fatigue, mouth ulcers, burning muscles on exertion, memory problems, fatigue.

You need a blood test to determine the cause, as even if you have anaemia there are different levels of shortage.

Go see your doctor!

Other causes of headache can be caffeine withdrawal; are you drinking less tea/coffee as a result of increasing water rich foods such as fruit and veg and drinking more water.
How often or for how long have you been taking pain relief? There's a reason why the packet tells you not to take for more than three days...overuse causes headache.
Have you increased you exercise? Could you be tense in your neck muscles? Try some relaxation.

Hi thanks, some good advice there. Same levels of water and caffeine I think. Headaches tend to come either before/ during or just after periods & I had v low iron when I was pregnant before so wondered was it maybe iron again. They typically last 4-5 days and I get them every 3/4 weeks. But they're getting worse :-( my doctor is crap tbh, makes me feel like a timewaster. Might try multi-vitamins and iron maybe? X

Hi thanks, some good advice there. Same levels of water and caffeine I think. Headaches tend to come either before/ during or just after periods & I had v low iron when I was pregnant before so wondered was it maybe iron again. They typically last 4-5 days and I get them every 3/4 weeks. But they're getting worse :-( my doctor is crap tbh, makes me feel like a timewaster. Might try multi-vitamins and iron maybe? X

Ask for a well woman check with the nurse, whilst a multivitamin won't hurt, the problem is if your stores are low you'll never get to the bottom of the problem as you won't build up your reserves.
You can request a blood test to check iron levels, if your dr won't see another doc at the practice.

If that doesn't work, attempt to give blood!

plenty of iron rich foods.. red meat, leafy green veg etc..
Iron enriched cerials?

every 3-4 weeks? do they correspond with just before, during or after a star week?

ColJack said:
plenty of iron rich foods.. red meat, leafy green veg etc..
Iron enriched cerials?

every 3-4 weeks? do they correspond with just before, during or after a star week?

They do, but it has really only started the past 4 mths or so & I thought if my iron was already low it might get worse getting star week and that's what causes them?

Dudette & shirleen thanks for that, I think the blood idea is a good one. (don't wear glasses, eyes have been tested). I've a rare blood type & used to donate regularly before having the kids so will defo try that. Although hope they don't whip out a pint and leave me 10 times worse lol!!!! :)

They are really getting unbearable & cause me to feel extremely nauseous/ seasick feeling when I have them. Time to do something about it!! :)

Last edited:
are you on the pill? this can have an effect, very likely its hormone levels, or you could be dehydrated

Do you have a lot of artificial sweetener in your meals? If so try cutting this down a bit too, it may help. I suffer from migraines from time to time and have injections for them which I take myself if I have an attack so I understand how painful they are.

hollys nan said:
Do you have a lot of artificial sweetener in your meals? If so try cutting this down a bit too, it may help. I suffer from migraines from time to time and have injections for them which I take myself if I have an attack so I understand how painful they are.

I'd have it in my morning latte only and that's it, but that's good to know. Oh god injections.... Wouldn't fancy that, poor u :-(

Day 5 today and it's pretty much lifted, same pattern as last 2 mths.

Well (off topic for S W sorry) if you knew that within 10 mins of taking an injection the pain and sickness would go completely you wouldnt mind the injections at all. They are fantastic, touch wood not had a migraine for sometime probably jinxed it now! So glad for you that the pain has lifted, they are so awful, its only when you suffer that you understand what others are going through. Mine used to last 3 days before I was given the injections.

hollys nan said:
Well (off topic for S W sorry) if you knew that within 10 mins of taking an injection the pain and sickness would go completely you wouldnt mind the injections at all. They are fantastic, touch wood not had a migraine for sometime probably jinxed it now! So glad for you that the pain has lifted, they are so awful, its only when you suffer that you understand what others are going through. Mine used to last 3 days before I was given the injections.

I guess ur right, it'd be worth it. Ur also right in that unless uve had a migraine people wouldn't understand how sore it is. My husband for example thinks I'm taking the mick....

I guess ur right, it'd be worth it. Ur also right in that unless uve had a migraine people wouldn't understand how sore it is. My husband for example thinks I'm taking the mick....
You should get him to read up about migraines...........he would soon change his mind I think! Only a sufferer understands a fellow sufferer!

Back