Healthy BMI?

Lil_Mrs_Sunshine

Spring Challenge!
What is classed as the healthiest BMI to have when pregnant? I am trying to decide if I need to loose some weight before my husband and I start to make a family.

Hello! I saw your post re BMI and then also that you are the same height as me and your start weight is the same as my target! You are a healthy BMI already. Your target is 17.5 which would make you underweight and might make it more difficult for you to conceive. Do be careful not to lose too much weight if you are serious about TTC! Good luck!

Everything under 24.9 is classed as fine. So your already there.
As spangly mum suggests, you can just as many problems having too low a BMI, so make sure you dont demand too much from your body.

you dont need to lse anything.

I would like to loose a little to make the baby weight gain not impact on me too much mentally. Everyone gains while they are pregnant dont they?

yes i think i know what your saying that seeing the scales go up is stressful..but it would be for a nice reason

also if you had a bmi of 17.5 you would be anorexic I think

To begin with I just want to reach 126lbs - I would be happy at that for a little while.

I dont think I could handle the stress of seeing the scales rise to 11 stone, 12 stone...

How much do people gain during pregnancy?

But you WILL gain weight during pregnancy

The average weight gain for JUST baby and its accompaniments eg placenta, extra blood, amniotic fluid etc is about 2 stone

So regardless of if you want to see the scales go up or not they will!

I had this notion that I would get pregnant and maintain my weight during pregnancy meaning post baby I would have lost 2 stone. 19 weeks in an I know thats not going to happen as I NEED to put on some weight during pregnancy, as unless I was under medical supervision and MORBIDLY obese, its not healthy.

Weight gain is a normal and acceptable part of pregnancy.

Women need to try to come to terms with the fact that they will put on weight, but they have all the time in the world after pregnancy to do that when you are not at the mercy of hormones, massive fluid shifts, cravings morning sickness etc.

We are so hammered into us to be thin, be slim, healthy BMI etc that at a time when we should be focussing on nourishing our bodies and babies, we're still obsessed with the scales.

I know this might have came across a bit ranty, and for that I apologise, but it upsets me so much that we can't seem to relax into and enjoy the pregnancy for the short time we have it.

I meanwhile know I'll probably hit upward of the 16 stone mark by time baby comes, but thats not all me. AT least 28lbs of that is baby related and will disappear. Meanwhile I'm focussing on trying to eat healthily and nourishing my and my baby the best way I know how.

Take care.

I didn't mean to come across as nasty. afterall i am as obsessed with my weight as the next person

if you really are upset about it perhaps you could discuss your concerns with your dr etc

honestly, the bmi your aiming for is stupid. you are going to make yourself very ill.

your BMI is fine as it is, everyone gains while pregnant. a friend gained 3 stone, and lost it very quickly though doing nothing but breast feed, no special diets or exercise.

maybe you need to speak toa doctor about your weight issues, otherwise you'll end up anorexic or worse, dead.

whats more important to you, a number on the scales or a healthy baby? it seems like its the scales tbh....

that is true. yet i know i wont get it.
i want muscle.... pure muscle. not to be just skinny!

I put on 5 STONE when pregnant. But I'm only 6lbs off having lost ALL of it and my son is only 17 weeks old.

Don't fret. There is no better excuse to put on weight.

And I don't want to sound mean but you really should be concerned about the baby's health rather than your looks :)

I put on 5 STONE when pregnant. But I'm only 6lbs off having lost ALL of it and my son is only 17 weeks old.

Don't fret. There is no better excuse to put on weight.

And I don't want to sound mean but you really should be concerned about the baby's health rather than your looks :)

this.

like i asked, whats more important to you? a slim body or a healthy child?

Back